Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Personally, I'm having a hard time figuring out how many F seats were sold vs upgrades on my flights since UA's ceased showing those upgrades doled out prior to check-in. But you're right - UA is doing a better job of filling the F seats w/o CPUs (and RPU/GPUs).
Since they changed what they show on the app, all my flights between AUS and EWR (with occasional stop in IAH) have had virtually zero upgrades inside 24 hours.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist
Not quite a hopeless optimist, but almost.

I don't think there's any question about whether or not partner flights in P will go to 150%; it's just a matter of timing, as presumably UA has to update some sort of agreement with each airline. My expectation is that they'll finish it up by year's end, but it wouldn't be shocking if it spilled over until the end of January or something.

I highly, highly recommend that anyone planning 2019 travel expect that P fares currently listed at 200% will have been adjusted to 150% before your travel. That way, any possible surprise will be a good one.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Glad someone is having success with GPU. I have only had 2 of 5 clear year so far. I have 5 more pending over 3 trips and am not hopefully of that rate improving.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: United
P Fare Value Question on already purchased fare

I have a couple of receipts from United showing PQM at the old 200% rate. According to the Wiki and United, that rate becomes 150% on Jan 1st. Does that mean they won't honor the 200% printed on the receipt? That doesn't seem right...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
FYI,

I emailed MileagePlus (I'm Plat) about whether they would honor 200% PQM for my January P fare that I booked in June. This is their response

"Yes, we will honor the 200% PQM for your ticket since purchased prior to 9/28/18 for travel after 1/1/19. You will need to contact us five days after travel for the correction. "
jsloan, rcwhitejr99, 8MiHi and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw
FYI,

I emailed MileagePlus (I'm Plat) about whether they would honor 200% PQM for my January P fare that I booked in June. This is their response

"Yes, we will honor the 200% PQM for your ticket since purchased prior to 9/28/18 for travel after 1/1/19. You will need to contact us five days after travel for the correction. "
Same fact pattern here. Hope this is right. I for one will be emailing them for my 200% PQM. Thanks Swiftlaw!
rcwhitejr99 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
After having thought this through, this will save me a ton of dough in 2019. Instead of buying FC tickets and only billing my client for coach I can snag Y tickets on a 752, grab 7A because I can book quite far in advance, and not worry about 1K or PQDs or PQMs (have the magic CC and a trove of Flex PQMs). I can make Plat for next to nothing compared to my current spend. As I always louse my way to the front of the G1 line anyway the lack of preboarding ain't gonna bother me. Pressure's off, baby. I'll make 1K in December by the skin of my teeth for the last time, I reckon.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some partner P (or their lowest business fares) are 200% PQMs, some are 150% and some are 100% --- there has never been a single earning value. Partners set their earning levels.
Not for PQM. United sets that.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
Not for PQM. United sets that.
If that was true, why is there so much variation?
Pretty clear oartnershave a significant role in setting PQM earnings.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
So Lufthansa sets 100% qualifying miles earning for their own program and 200% for United? Really? I have it on pretty good authority that United sets PQM earnings ... not that it should matter too much to a partner airlines since they only pay United for the RDMs which of course they DO have a say on how much that is.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:51 pm

Wrote to 1Kvoice about the "P" PQMs. Received a reply this morning stating that "... United is going to honor the 200% Premier Qualifying Mile accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on or after January 1, 2019. " and " ....you will need to contact MileagePlus for a manual adjustment for the difference." All is forgiven. Just kidding!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Pretty sure PQM is unilaterally UA's decision. The variance is because UA wants to incentivize pax to fly airlines that get UA more money when chosen, hence why the JV partners earn way more than other partners.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
So Lufthansa sets 100% qualifying miles earning for their own program and 200% for United? Really? I have it on pretty good authority that United sets PQM earnings ... not that it should matter too much to a partner airlines since they only pay United for the RDMs which of course they DO have a say on how much that is.
Originally Posted by findark
Pretty sure PQM is unilaterally UA's decision. The variance is because UA wants to incentivize pax to fly airlines that get UA more money when chosen, hence why the JV partners earn way more than other partners.
This post suggests TK at one point declined to offer PQM but UA decided to step in and offer -- that would suggest TK had a decision making role in regard to PQM earning.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Same fact pattern here. Hope this is right. I for one will be emailing them for my 200% PQM. Thanks Swiftlaw!
Do FT sages think we should each write in to 1K voice regarding the 200% PQM earnings for P fares in 2019 booked pre-devaluation? Do they notate our files to enable/authorize this post-flight adjustment, or would it make no difference if we apply for post-flight credit without having obtained this feedback directly?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:22 pm

Interestingly I received a second response that does not mention the need for manual adjustment :....Any tickets purchased in "p" class before 9/28/18 will still earn the 200% PQM" and ". ....were purchased before 9/28/18 so you will earn the 200% pqm.".

Originally Posted by transportprof
Do FT sages think we should each write in to 1K voice regarding the 200% PQM earnings for P fares in 2019 booked pre-devaluation? Do they notate our files to enable/authorize this post-flight adjustment, or would it make no difference if we apply for post-flight credit without having obtained this feedback directly?
No "sage" here. But I would suggest to everyone to write in for their own account and keep the response on file. So that when it's time to request the adjustment there will be supporting documentation to justify the action for each individual and not just hear say. YMMW.
mrt88 likes this.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Oct 4, 2018 at 2:19 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.