Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if UA does not change JV partner P ratios now, given the fact that this time they changed P earnings based on travel date, not ticketing date, what will happen if UA changes the earning later? Would the partners make UA do this based on ticketing dates?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Would the partners make UA do this based on ticketing dates?
It's SOP for UA to make partner changes based on date of flight, not date of ticketing. I know there was one case where they relented -- a partner fare class was made non-earning, and UA eventually gave credit for purchases made before the announcement -- but generally you'll just see "for flights after XXX date."

It's not SOP for UA to make changes for its own metal this way. In the past, those have been "ticketed after announcement, flown after effective date."
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's SOP for UA to make partner changes based on date of flight, not date of ticketing. I know there was one case where they relented -- a partner fare class was made non-earning, and UA eventually gave credit for purchases made before the announcement -- but generally you'll just see "for flights after XXX date."

It's not SOP for UA to make changes for its own metal this way. In the past, those have been "ticketed after announcement, flown after effective date."
Yeah, the fact that haven't grandfathered in all already purchased P fares is the part that really annoys me.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's really bad they haven't updated the website...
Looks like they did some places, but not everywhere.

here:
MileagePlus Updates
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

but not here:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/united.html
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
There is absolutely no indication of P changing to premium economy, however...
If this happened, the booking code rules for the NH P fare would book Z class on UA (or whatever the new cheapest Business bucket is). There's a bit of overlap between J and C inventory that could be unwound without a ton of difficulty. Many *A airlines only have four revenue Business codes.
Possible, but this would depend on the fare rules in place at the time by the airline who filed the fare.

If one can make 1K on domestic flying alone, and they had international trips to book into P, it might be wise move to credit those to another program like AC where redemption amounts are cheaper for certain awards.

Either way, it's clear these moves are designed to do two things - move many otherwise HVF out of 1K status and perhaps drive some of them to other airlines altogether. While I agree with the premise that "when everyone is a 1K, then no one is", however not everyone is a 1K by far. Thinning the heard at SFO, ORD, EWR and IAH also thins the heard everywhere else where customers have a choice unless we're going back to the days of "only hub captives paying premium fares matter" and everyone else can get lost.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
To all those including me who bought P tickets this year, thepointsguy user IvanX called UA regarding P fare tickets he purchased last month and UA agent promised to honor 200% PQM: IvanX Ed10 hours agoI called United about this today and they said that P tickets I purchased two weeks ago for flight in 2019 would have 200% PQM honored, but it would not be automatic. The rep noted my tickets, and said to call after flying if I earned the incorrect number of PQM.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...olicy-changes/
8MiHi likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I’m disappointed in the loss of RPUs. I fly enough to accrue 8 GPU and 8 RPU. That’s the perfect amount for one domestic family vacation and one international. Guess the domestic vacations are going to be a reality check for the kids lol.
Good. Flying coach builds character. ;-)
Chukiechz and schlang like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tomwhom
To all those including me who bought P tickets this year, thepointsguy user IvanX called UA regarding P fare tickets he purchased last month and UA agent promised to honor 200% PQM: IvanX Ed10 hours agoI called United about this today and they said that P tickets I purchased two weeks ago for flight in 2019 would have 200% PQM honored, but it would not be automatic. The rep noted my tickets, and said to call after flying if I earned the incorrect number of PQM.

Well, this sounds very efficient for United and us.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)

Anybody experienced this, likely UA's IT bug:

I just checked next January's my one way SFO-NRT-BKK 016 ticket (I was surprised that UA one way W can be less $700 ) and found the NRT-BKK PQM disappeared all together on UA web while on UA App it just showed 1444 50% PQM in stead of 2888, inconsistent & interesting. NRT-BKK is NH codeshare and NH international W still has 100% UA PQM per new updated UA accrual chart below:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=299
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass

Anyone else called and got the same response?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
...Either way, it's clear these moves are designed to do two things - move many otherwise HVF out of 1K status and perhaps drive some of them to other airlines altogether. While I agree with the premise that "when everyone is a 1K, then no one is", however not everyone is a 1K by far. Thinning the heard at SFO, ORD, EWR and IAH also thins the heard everywhere else where customers have a choice...t.
+1

I have said this (previously) elsewhere on FT: United is in the business of making money and maximizing shareholder wealth. The management at United think these changes are going to help them achieve those goals. My own personal goal is to find the optimal flying experience for me. I travel on my own dime and make decisions on what is best for me.

My guess is the management at Untied expect a few to moan and complain and up their spend to meet the new requirements, they expect the pax tied to United on corporate accounts will have to stay and they expect a certain number will leave or be willing to drop to Platinum, but ultimately United want to position their 1K brand as something to strive for but provides the benefits that are touted. The thread that GPUs are useless must be a concern for United - these are the pax who spend to make 1K not receiving the expected benefits. (I think GS members generally can use their GPUs on international flights but I may be wrong on that score.) I also suspect the drop in the number of RPUs for GS and 1K is reflective of the frequency of TODs and available capacity for RPUs after the paid upfares. Again, United trying to be realistic and set expectations.

Do I personally like the new PQD spend requirement? No and I have previously stated I suspect 2019 will be my last year as a 1K member, but that will also provide me the freedom to not be tied to United. We all have a price - and my breaking point is PQD of $15k. My annual PQM will still be around 200k (currently around 150k with United) so the business OALs get from me is going to significantly increase and I am fine with that decision as I am a value buyer. I liken 1K to golden handcuffs - for me they have now been removed.

With that said if United loses more 1K members than expected it can only have upside for the remaining 1K members, and if United finds their estimates on the number of pax who move to OALs is greater than expected then they can always "enhance" the product in the future but I suspect they have already worked out the percentage that will move with the PQD delta.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Oct 2, 2018 at 12:40 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I know there was one case where they relented -- a partner fare class was made non-earning, and UA eventually gave credit for purchases made before the announcement -- but generally you'll just see "for flights after XXX date."
That was the TK G fare.

thepointsguy user IvanX called UA regarding P fare tickets he purchased last month and UA agent promised to honor 200% PQM: IvanX Ed10 hours agoI called United about this today and they said that P tickets I purchased two weeks ago for flight in 2019 would have 200% PQM honored, but it would not be automatic. The rep noted my tickets, and said to call after flying if I earned the incorrect number of PQM.
Phone agents do not have authority to vary MP T&C.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Thanks for sharing. I recently noticed that when Delta changed their rules for partner earning (in this case, for Air France, but other partners too), they added this notation to their website. It would be appropriate if United did something similar.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That was the TK G fare.

Phone agents do not have authority to vary MP T&C.
So you think that the "promise" of retroactive credit for "old" P PQM was just another attempt at placating someone to get them off the line?

and has anyone figured out whether the PQM clawback applies to P fares on *A partners?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
So you think that the "promise" of retroactive credit for "old" P PQM was just another attempt at placating someone to get them off the line?
It may have been sincere. Who knows. But UA takes the position it is not bound by anything a phone rep promises which is contrary to the T&C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.