Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by cova
Maybe UA will make GS harder to get.
Possible but it would be due to the lack of transparency around qualification it would be difficult see

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 30, 2018 at 11:53 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now, these are the Star Alliance common classes:

First F, A, O
Business C, D, I, R
Economy Y, B, M, H, Q, X, N, V, W

Last edited by username; Sep 30, 2018 at 9:26 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

i would encourage all the GS in this forum to write in ask for RPUs to be continued post 100K PQM mark. I will write in but a group voice counts more.
Which is the best address to do this?,I am happy to participate
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:20 am

Wow ... a post by @UAInsider aka the bringer of bad news, as always!

The previous post from them was 6 months ago (and before that, almost a year ago).

Why even bother if all you're going to do is repost press releases?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Does the P fare PQM downgrade extend to OAL, like LH, LX, etc?
I'm also wondering about this and am currently holding off booking a couple of flights until I get an answer to this question. I'm not sure why United wouldn't have made this clear when they made the announcement.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
In a way I suspect that the renewed intensity of focus on 1K over the past year or so (snack box, preboarding, verbal recognition) was actually motivated by a desire to shift the qualification to 15k PQD. It seems sort of odd that it occurs in such a dyssynchronous fashion, but perhaps they needed to prove to themselves they could do it before committing to the PQD.
I'm less cynical about this move than others and actually see a consistency to the approach. My theory is that UA has recognized the value of its higher spending 1Ks, and is working to improve recognition and benefits. To make this move revenue neutral, it's raising the bar so that fewer 1Ks will qualify. This has the corresponding benefit of making the status slightly more "exclusive" which can be a psychic benefit for those who meet the new threshold.

Of course from the flyer's perspective, it'd be hard to say that marginally improved service is worth 3k PQD, but be that as it may.
People keep saying this, but it's not really applicable for passengers who are already spending $15k. They don't have to spend any more than they already spend.
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Wow ... a post by @UAInsider aka the bringer of bad news, as always!

The previous post from them was 6 months ago (and before that, almost a year ago).

Why even bother if all you're going to do is repost press releases?
Not only that but he came in at post # 14 . Completely useless. Hope he’s not getting paid for this. Remember the old UA insider? I think her name was Sharon?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm less cynical about this move than others and actually see a consistency to the approach. My theory is that UA has recognized the value of its higher spending 1Ks, and is working to improve recognition and benefits. To make this move revenue neutral, it's raising the bar so that fewer 1Ks will qualify. This has the corresponding benefit of making the status slightly more "exclusive" which can be a psychic benefit for those who meet the new threshold.

People keep saying this, but it's not really applicable for passengers who are already spending $15k. They don't have to spend any more than they already spend.
Its applicability depends on whether you think UA's customer spending is elastic or inelastic. I believe it is somewhat elastic. Of course, I may be wrong, but I also don't think I am. We can each speak from our own perspective, though.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:55 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
I wonder if United is thinning the herd of 1ks in preparation for a Star Alliance status above gold?
Hmm. That would be interesting (and welcome), but I'm not holding my breath.

I never bought the "thinning of the herd" argument when PQD were first introduced, then raised from $10k to $12k, and I'm not going to start endorsing it now.

That said, I do think there's been an uptick in R space and instrument upgrades within the past year, particularly on GPU only routes. It feels to me like UA has slightly loosened the algorithm (though not on ps nor the widebody Hawaii flights).
My GPU-able routes have done fine, albeit with later-clearing than I would sometimes like (much less at-booking R available IME). However, I have cleared not a single RPU-supported segment this year (0-4 IIRC). Domestic flights seem to be where my RPUs go to die.

I will welcome improved availability, but I'm not holding my breath that it will actually materialize.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wombat1
Is it safe to assume that these will be the only changes for 2019? In particular, as someone who doesn't aspire to 1K status, can I assume that the $25k Chase card spend PQD waiver will remain?
For now it will, its inferred in the announcement. Who can say so about the future. The only constant in the loyalty program world is inevitable devaluation.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by JetAway

UA is the most generous of the major carriers in awarding mid-tier Lifetime Gold at 1mm so a re-alignment seems logical. But I am “certain” UA would grandfather/mother existing LT Golds and not demote them to Silver. There are lots of retiring Boomers who have done a lot of flying over their careers so the 1mm ranks logically will expand.
Well it's not like the very generous UA hasn't taken away promised lifetime benefits before.... wait....
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I feel I am being the grammar stickler in this thread, but any additional comma would not be grammatical unless some words were also added, changed or reordered.

On the general point about it being unclear, though, of course I agree.
Well, sure. I would have split it up into two sentences and started the second one like "In addition, for our members who earn 125k or more..." to make it clear the second sentence was limited in scope.

Originally Posted by chavala
Not only that but he came in at post # 14 .
UA Insider's post #14 has a title on it (which replies *can* have but typically people don't bother adding titles to replies) which makes me think it was posted as a separate thread and then the two were merged together. So I'm inclined to be more charitable since they were only "scooped" by ~30 minutes
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
However, I have cleared not a single RPU-supported segment this year (0-4 IIRC). Domestic flights seem to be where my RPUs go to die.
I used my 4 RPUs for 2018, then grabbed and used my wife's 2 RPUs for 2018 (she does not really fly domestic), then used the 2 RPUs I already got for 2019, then grabbed and used my wife's 2 RPUs for 2019. I do tend to use them on 2 hours flights. Maybe I would have been upgraded with the CPU and my RPUs were waisted but this year I did not clear any CPU (I can be number 1 on the gate list with First Class seats still available but they disappear under me by passengers purchasing the upgrade or passengers transferring to my flight even just 5 minutes before boarding). The only meaningful RPU usage was ORD-LAX. But I don't do too many of those long domestic flights.

I used my 6 GPUs but I gave half to my wife.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: MileagePlus AAdvantage Mileage Plan
I too have wished there was a way to thin the herd in 1K.
When everybody is special then no one is.
Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I am part of the herd
Just when you think you are big enough to play with the big boys, you discover there is an even bigger boy game in town. ......
Although I have known for sometime that 100-110K each year is getting rather pedestrian.....
Most of the people with higher status achieved that by traveling with their companies work requirements and not through their own travel requirements. IMO
So maybe I need to look to my employer to purchase upgraded travel as part of my compensation package.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm less cynical about this move than others and actually see a consistency to the approach. My theory is that UA has recognized the value of its higher spending 1Ks, and is working to improve recognition and benefits.
As a former 1K, I’m not as optimistic as you are. From the merger until now, UA has systematically diluted the benefit of being 1K. Yes, they have recently improved the boarding process for 1K. Big deal. Until they do something more substantive for that group, like bringing back real 1K agents and improving UG availability, it’s just window dressing, IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.