Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'

FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'

Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I empathize with parents on a plane. Really - the responsibility for controlling an irrational human being is a lot to ask for anyone. I think it requires an understanding from all passengers that the parent is doing their best and trying to handle the situation as best as they can. That being said - the parents really need to be trying and doing their best. A plane is not the place to be trying a new diet or sleep schedule. Parents should be prepared to be bringing every distraction they can - I don't care if you only let your child use the iPad 1 hour a day at home. If that is what makes the child stop crying you need to bring it out for as long as possible. If your child is inconsolable be prepared to spend a long time in the lavatory. I have all the sympathy in the world for a parent traveling with kids - seriously, it looks like an awful task and we should not hold them to the same standards we would of business travelers. BUT, they need to be a continuous, actively involved part of keeping their kids calm and quiet. If your kid is screaming and you are not trying to address the situation - that is on YOU. If you are trying and the kid is still making a fuss, that's life.
--> Yes; exactly.
Newark7 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I would modify that to say no good mother. Unfortunately there are a rare few in the obnoxious minority that ignore when their child is crying, who think that the ignore them and it will go away rule of parenting is good, etc. and encountering them in an enclosed, confined space is terrible. But even then, it's not against the law. It's just bad parenting and rude.
Even a great mother can have a very rough day with a baby. Babies are unpredictable. They are not mini adults, they are..... babies. I have seen otherwise quiet babies of family members (with excellent parents) go crazy on a long trip. Babies get tired and cranky easily, and they hate unfamiliar environment.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm not sure why a snack from a parent makes up for a kid's bad behaviour. I just want the kid to be quiet.
What if the parent of the child with the bad behavior gave you the snack? Would that make it work?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by katan
What if the parent of the child with the bad behavior gave you the snack? Would that make it work?
I almost look at this as a Peace Offering, but it only works if the parents make an effort to defuse the situation first.

When we brought our 3 year old son home from China, we made some small bags of candies and chocolates and handed then out to the seat mates in the vicinity of ours. Since we had just adopted him a week before, we had no idea how he would take to the flying but we wanted to show that we were aware of a potential problem.

Unfortunately, the only time we had a problem was when the captain had the fasten seatbelt sign on for over an hour for turbulence that was reported ahead (but we never saw). While we wanted to rectify the situation, he just wanted cuddles which we couldn't give him at the time.

Last edited by phkc070408; Oct 1, 2018 at 2:17 am Reason: Addition
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by leonidas
Even a great mother can have a very rough day with a baby. Babies are unpredictable. They are not mini adults, they are..... babies. I have seen otherwise quiet babies of family members (with excellent parents) go crazy on a long trip. Babies get tired and cranky easily, and they hate unfamiliar environment.
My daughter's first flight was when she was 6 months old. She slept most of the flight, and when awake, was quite docile. Once she started teething in earnest, it would have been quiet different, I'm sure.

In any event, I think people - especially FAs -need to cut parents with upset babies some slack. Last time I sat next to an infant, I offered to help mom several times, initially to no avail. Once she reached the end of her rope, she relented, and when she came back from the WC, her very upset son and I were having a grand time. Another time I was sitting next to a very restless 5 year old. I pulled out my IPad and let him play games I had installed for my grandkids, and his parents were beyond grateful.
greg99, COSPILOT and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I almost look at this as a Peace Offering, but it only works if the parents make an effort to defuse the situation first.

When we brought our 3 year old son home from China, we made some small bags of candies and chocolates and handed then out to the seat mates in the vicinity of ours. Since we had just adopted him a week before, we had no idea how he would take to the flying but we wanted to show that we were aware of a potential problem.

Unfortunately, the only time we had a problem was when the captain had the fasten seatbelt sign on for over an hour for turbulence that was reported ahead (but we never saw). While we wanted to rectify the situation, he just wanted cuddles which we couldn't give him at the time.
And people willingly accept these unsealed bags of consumables?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by kb9522

I think this falls in the category of its the thought that counts.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by greg99

I think this falls in the category of its the thought that counts.
Yeah, I'm not so sure I'd be willing to let a baby scream with impunity in exchange for a questionable bag of halloween leftovers. "Thought" definitely was not involved in that process.
FlyingNone and chavala like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Would parents of a small child really attempt to poison their seatmates?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points

I imagine they're individually wrapped, like the bitesized candies those of us in the states will be handing out by the handfuls in a few weeks
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by greg99

I think this falls in the category of “it’s the thought that counts.”
.....and if the kid starts wailing 90% of the flight, that small bit of goodies is supposed assuage everyone else around them? To me it is a very lame gesture - almost embarrassing, as though the parents are saying "Please know by this small token that we are really good people so you should find a way to overlook and tune out the extremely annoying non-stop crying that might take place".
Pick up your baby and walk around with it and if you don't want to,....here's your candy back.

Seriously, I flew across the aisle from parents with a high-pitched wailing two year old on an 8 hour night flight from Tokyo to Singapore. They made no effort whatsoever to make the child comfortable while she "clawed" and whined at the mother for most of that time to at least sit on her lap. The father turned his back toward the window and slept the entire time, completely tuned out to his wife and daughter's discomfort (and everyone else's around them). Don't parents hear their kids screaming ?????
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
“Don't parents hear their kids screaming ?????”
Some just choose not to.
Travelling in Asia seems to produce more of these situations.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:40 am

Too many people think, it's a child. What am I supposed to do?
chavala likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.