Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA on SYD-SFO insists 'rule book' prohibits babies from crying 'for more than 5 mins'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:40 pm

how can you stop a baby from exercising its lungs!
One way is to bung a breast in its mouth, whether productive of milk or not. It will usually be welcome (to the child) and tends to cut off the noise at source. The sucking helps reduce the pressure difference between the inner ear and the environment, which can often be the source of the discomfort that produces the crying.

In the absence of a readily accessible breast, a finger can work quite well.
muji likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
It’s the mothers who do nothing to try to sooth their crying babies who get up my nose.
There are plenty of them on flights.
Most pax are or have been parents and are usually sympathetic.....for a while.
The duct tape solution appeals to me.
Maybe these are the kids who become back of seat kickers as they grow older.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gmt4
I think UA refunded her because they are springloaded to take on negative PR immedately before the court of public opinion slays them.
How about the pilot coming back and specifically apologizing for the FA's behavior?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Wow. Something clearly went wrong here. On one hand, I really wonder if the frazzled mom just took a sarcastic comment from an FA too seriously - that's what it sounds like to me. On the other hand, I've seen some atrocious FA's, so nothing would totally surprise me.

For what it's worth, and I know that others have had bad crews on UA SYD flights, but I've never had a bad crew on that route.

Not only have I never had a bad crew, but the single best flight attendant I've ever flown with in somewhere around 2.5M miles on all airlines, was a senior UA flight attendant SFO-SYD, who literally walked around with my then-infant daughter for 45 minutes to give her mom and dad a chance to eat, use the lav, freshen up, etc.

This is the fundamental problem with UA - lack of consistency.
muji, narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Read this article this morning in the Australian press and of course came to FT as knew there would be a thread.

I think the FA (in question) underestimated the protective instincts of a mother and their young offspring. No mother wants her child crying and in an enclosed space like a plane will do everything to comfort the child. My son first flew (in coach) at four months of age and crying was limited and the only way they can communicate at that age. Kudos to United for trying to do the right thing and apologize and refund the ticket.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...51cbcb4460257e
I read it to mean they refunded the internet charges....not really able to tell for sure what was refunded.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I read it to mean they refunded the internet charges....not really able to tell for sure what was refunded.
"When the family arrived in San Francisco they were greeted by United representatives who apologised and offered them a refund."
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MP
All I care to know is how the purser was handled after the flight. That must be incredibly embarrassing for the FA to be greeted by the UA team at SFO.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Originally Posted by greg99
Wow. Something clearly went wrong here. On one hand, I really wonder if the frazzled mom just took a sarcastic comment from an FA too seriously - that's what it sounds like to me. On the other hand, I've seen some atrocious FA's, so nothing would totally surprise me.

For what it's worth, and I know that others have had bad crews on UA SYD flights, but I've never had a bad crew on that route.

Not only have I never had a bad crew, but the single best flight attendant I've ever flown with in somewhere around 2.5M miles on all airlines, was a senior UA flight attendant SFO-SYD, who literally walked around with my then-infant daughter for 45 minutes to give her mom and dad a chance to eat, use the lav, freshen up, etc.

This is the fundamental problem with UA - lack of consistency.
I have been flying that route regularly for 20 years now and also have never had a bad crew.
I have seen them being firm but not discourteous with pax who have not been doing the right thing during a flight but that’s about it.
And I too have seen many FAs take over child minding duties while flustered parents get their act together.
Sometimes parenting young children can fry the brain a little. Maybe this is what happened to this mother.
greg99 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Really gross how rude United has become since the merger with CO. This airline is not in the business of providing great service or showing empathy to their paying customers. I used love flying United as they were amazing in customer care. Now I just wonder which employee will be awful when I fly them. Hope this lady recieves more compensation than just a refund for having such an awful flight!!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
I used love flying United as they were amazing in customer care.
You must be VERY old!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
On one hand, I really wonder if the frazzled mom just took a sarcastic comment from an FA too seriously - that's what it sounds like to me.
This x 1000!
I realize that we, as flying passengers, are sometimes stressed out, but I think we need to relax a bit.
Many United FA use humor to ease the pain of travel, but sadly that humor is sometimes lost, and offended parties love posting their "terrible" experience on social media, which in turn news outlets -for reasons of pure laziness- consider legitimate news gathering sources.

My wife told me about a recent United flight: She asked for a specific beer "so she could fall asleep".
There was some guy with a medical situation a row behind her...heart attack or something.
FA response: "Sorry, I don't have access to that beer right now, but I could knock you on the head if you like; that would make you go asleep too."
(paraphrasing).

​​​​​​My wife could have posted on social media how a United FA threatened her physically and persued millions in damages.
Instead she cracked up laughing.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Really sickening to see all the backlash against UA here. Babies simply do not belong in any cabin other than economy. That this passenger didn't even go all the way to the back when trying to comfort the child is particularly rude.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by kb9522
Really sickening to see all the backlash against UA here. Babies simply do not belong in any cabin other than economy. That this passenger didn't even go all the way to the back when trying to comfort the child is particularly rude.
Those are fighting words.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
I just read the article that was in the SFO news where it reported more details. Based upon the specific number of comments allegedly made by the FA to the passenger and the questioning by the passenger of the FA in response to her alleged statements, I think the amount of comments by the FA evidences this not being a case of her being sarcastic. I would think that there would have been witnesses to what was said for UA to be able to easily verify. What I am curious about is what level of experience that FA had. Personally, on those types of flights I have been very impressed with the senior FA's, but have noticed the occasional newbe. Once UA's investigation is over, if she still has a job, maybe have her fly back and forth every hour on the regional jets to the same small towns all day.

Here is the article that has a lot of content: Mom claims United flight attendant said it was 'absolutely unacceptable' for baby to cry on flight - Story | KTVU
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb9522
1. UA Corporate says babies are welcome in any cabin.
2. It's illegal to enter a cabin other than your ticketed cabin on an INTL flight.
3. "Particularly rude" is the assertion in your second sentence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.