Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United cancelled confirmed, Issued, and fully paid ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United cancelled confirmed, Issued, and fully paid ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Not even worth discussing until OP provides complete information.
That's never stopped extended FT debate based exclusively on speculation
Xyzzy, narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What did your choice of ticket agent say when you asked them about it? Did they tell UA to cancel it?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Hollandair
It is not. Right now Virgin has a promo flying you for 250 from BRU to Westcoast
AA is having promos flying you from several Euro cities to basically everywhere in the usa for 250 euro..
310 is for sure not an error fare or anything. They are also not debating that.
buy one of those other ridiculous fAres and come back and tell us if they ticket and get flown. That is barely above taxes and fees.
<edit> oh wait... just realized that is just OW. Book ‘em Dano!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
For what it's worth, I routinely buy U.S. roundtrip to Europe for under $500. I've had some as cheap as $400. A few weeks ago I flew United ATL-EWR-CDG-IAD-ATL for $445/€375. Cheap economy fares agree out there all the time.

I've even purchased from several sketchy OTA's just like the OP and I've never had a problem. Sometimes OTA's run a sale that's only done by them. I bought ATL-CDG-ATL DL/AF on Expedia a few months back for $460 while everywhere else it was $1100+.

So their price isn't weird. In fact, I just saw today LAX-MAD-LAX for $280 on Iberian.

I would assume that the EU Rules would apply to this flight since it departs from the EU. OP, you could try filing a claim over three. Or just buy another ticket?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
buy one of those other ridiculous fAres and come back and tell us if they ticket and get flown. That is barely above taxes and fees.
UA regularly publishes near-zero base fares on TATL flights. Earlier today I saw a $31 base fare RT on a TATL. Now, that excludes the fuel surcharge -- the biggest of the "taxes and fees" -- but insinuating that these low fares are always mistakes or that OP is somehow trying to take advantage of something that's "obviously too good to be true" is silly. UA will open seats in these discount buckets when they don't think they'll sell the seats otherwise. They hope they make some extra revenue in ancillary charges, but mostly -- they're flying the plane anyway, so they may as well fill the seats. The marginal cost of each incremental passenger is fairly small.
wrp96 and Marschel like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Without additional details sounds like you have an OTA problem and not a United problem. While they can blame UA for not honoring their transaction the issue is on their end as never have I purchased a ticket via an airline directly and they cancelled it later.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
In fact, I just saw today LAX-MAD-LAX for $280 on Iberian
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:15 pm

Not enough info to provide meaningful advice.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA regularly publishes near-zero base fares on TATL flights. Earlier today I saw a $31 base fare RT on a TATL. Now, that excludes the fuel surcharge -- the biggest of the "taxes and fees" -- but insinuating that these low fares are always mistakes or that OP is somehow trying to take advantage of something that's "obviously too good to be true" is silly. UA will open seats in these discount buckets when they don't think they'll sell the seats otherwise. They hope they make some extra revenue in ancillary charges, but mostly -- they're flying the plane anyway, so they may as well fill the seats. The marginal cost of each incremental passenger is fairly small.
Exclusive of YQ, $1.00 and $0.50 K fares are commonplace.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:34 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
My apologies, there is no stop-over. its BRU to LAS with a 2 hr stop in IAD and back LAS-BRU with a short stop in DEN and LHR

I received additional information. The ticket was voided by the OTA because the first legged was booked under a SN-flight number which United did not allow.
If that is the case, how could it have been that the ticket was issued for a short amount of time?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2018 at 12:38 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My apologies, there is no stop-over. its BRU to LAS with a 2 hr stop in IAD and back LAS-BRU with a short stop in DEN and LHR
It's still not enough info about the itinerary to know what went wrong. My best guess is one of two possibilities: (1) TA issued a ticket that violated fare rules, or (2) UA made a mistake.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:12 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
What more info would you require?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:34 am

What more info would you require?
Specific carriers, flights, dates, and booking booking class for each segment.

That's the info necessary to tell whether the itinerary violates a fare rule.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:40 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
What would be really nice to see -- but not sure you have any way of accessing it -- is the fare construction/routing. Something like:

BRU UA X/WAS UA LAS 40.51KLO3ILGT UA X/DEN UA X/FRA LH BRU 40.51KLO3ILGT NUC 81.02 END ROE 0.863772 XT 35.50BE 5.65YC 7.00XY 3.96XA 36.60US 11.20AY 10.60DE 25.00RA 164.70YQ 4.50XF DEN4.50

I know that looks like Greek, but it would be very helpful to figure out what about that faring UA found to be unacceptable.

Easier that that, it would also be helpful to know the exact itinerary: Airlines, flight numbers, departure/arrival cities, dates, and times. If there was any breakdown, can you provide the fare and tax/fee portions of the final price?

Based on my checking fares on your routing, my best guess would be that the UA fare (segments BRU-IAD-LAS-DEN-LHR) was not combinable with the LHR-BRU fare. I see lots of routings for around the same price as yours but none via DEN & LHR on the return.

Even though the issue turned out to be something different (see below) I thought I'd delete my guess above because I later did find connections via DEN & LHR using Brussels Airilnes LHR-BRU.

(I see @Kacee replied while I was typing...)

Last edited by wpcoe; Sep 27, 2018 at 1:58 am Reason: correct my guess about routing via LHR
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
The OP has already been told what the issue was. See post #40 .
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30250948-post40.html

I received additional information. The ticket was voided by the OTA because the first legged was booked under a SN-flight number which United did not allow.
If that is the case, how could it have been that the ticket was issued for a short amount of time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.