Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Power Outlets... why United requires devices to be unplugged?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Power Outlets... why United requires devices to be unplugged?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
It has been my experience that the former UA crew are vastly more strict about this rule than the former CO. It will be interesting to see which tone wins out next month.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Just as a point of reference, in dozens of Delta flights none of the FA's care one bit whether my iPhone is plugged in during take-off.
(The power ports often don't work at all, but that is another matter.)

Then I fly two long-haul round trips on China Eastern, and find that they are trained to rigorously follow all safety rules, including "no charging on take off".
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Apparently head injuries are a possible concern too: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2015/0...f-and-landing/

I wonder if better positioning of the outlets would help with this and tripping hazards (i.e. not close to the floor or in the seat back). If that's even possible, that is.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Meh. I'd rather increase the chance of my death than me inconvenienced during taxi, takeoff, and landing.

But if the chance of a personal device flying around during an emergency is so high, shouldn't that put off UA/AA from removing seatback entertainment in new planes? Removing it and requiring passengers to use personal devices is asking for more problems during a crash landing. (Not that crash landings even happen in the U.S. enough for this to matter, but still)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethan76
It has been my experience that the former UA crew are vastly more strict about this rule than the former CO. It will be interesting to see which tone wins out next month.
That is my observation too but I think the downward slide has been going on for years....

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Meh. I'd rather increase the chance of my death than me inconvenienced during taxi, takeoff, and landing.

But if the chance of a personal device flying around during an emergency is so high, shouldn't that put off UA/AA from removing seatback entertainment in new planes? Removing it and requiring passengers to use personal devices is asking for more problems during a crash landing. (Not that crash landings even happen in the U.S. enough for this to matter, but still)
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic.

Their safety rules allow only smaller handheld devices during taxiing, takeoff and landing. The problem is what exactly is "handheld". I certainly don't want to be hit by a flying iPad Pro with keyboard during a crash.

Until we have a terrible incident where these things cause major injuries and deaths, nothing is going to change.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2018 at 2:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Has Air Canada changed their rules recently? I’ve always heard them say that only small earbud-style headphones connected to the IFE can be worn for takeoff and landing.
Yep! Since April 1, 2018. Any headphones, can also be connected to your iPad / phone, etc.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I don't think it's bad luck. His experience mirrors mine half the time (or more). Most recently, sitting in 6K on a 787-9 from IAH to SYD, my charger would NOT stay plugged in. When I sit in E+ and the outlets are located under the seat, I can rarely get anything except a 3-prong plug to stay in.
I have a rather lightweight two-prong iGo adapter for my Lenovo. I have trouble getting it to stay in the plug on a lot of my UA flights, which is why I always carry my US-UK adapter. The weight and bulk of my iGo adapter + US-UK adapter takes up less space in my bag than a larger, 3 prong adapter. Totally agree that the bulk in the plug is a more with the US-UK adapter, though. I try to sit at the window, so it only affects me and I can usually squeeze by it. It's been a while since I was in anything with less legroom than E+.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:41 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium

While on China Eastern, every flight I've had with them this year (12) they require earbuds to be removed during takeoff and landing, and require everything to be unplugged. Delta doesn't require any of that and neither does Air France.
the chinese aviation industry is extra when it comes to safety. nothing in your seat pocket while in exit row, nothing underneath the seat while in exit row, everything unplugged. i read somewhere atc even spaces planes out on approach twice the distance of other aviation systems around the world. and you know what? the chinese aviation sector is one of the safest, and unarguably safer than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. so that is what it is.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
While on China Eastern, every flight I've had with them this year (12) they require earbuds to be removed during takeoff and landing, and require everything to be unplugged. Delta doesn't require any of that and neither does Air France.
In fact I was on a Delta flight a couple of days ago where the FA made we exit row passengers unplug buds from the seatback screens and plug them into the armrest - to eliminate a tripping hazard.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
The reason given to me by several different UA flight crews (including once from a pilot) is that during takeoff and landing power surges are more likely when the engine thrust is rapidly changing. I assume this means any devices that are plugged during takeoff or landing are more vulnerable to being damaged. Reading between the lines, I suspect UA is worried about anything that could contribute to an exploding battery. With this in mind, I always unplug even though you would think surge protections are built into both the outlets and phones.

As to flight crews enforcing the rule, my experience is different than others. On half of my flights I hear a flight attendant telling someone to unplug a cell phone.

Any pilots on this thread to end this speculation?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc715
The reason given to me by several different UA flight crews (including once from a pilot) is that during takeoff and landing power surges are more likely when the engine thrust is rapidly changing....
While the crew members may have believed that, in a well designed, modern power (last 30+ years) distribution system, that should be of no concern. There are simple ways to prevent such an issue.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by cur
the chinese aviation industry is extra when it comes to safety. nothing in your seat pocket while in exit row, nothing underneath the seat while in exit row, everything unplugged. i read somewhere atc even spaces planes out on approach twice the distance of other aviation systems around the world. and you know what? the chinese aviation sector is one of the safest, and unarguably safer than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. so that is what it is.
Contrast that with an Air China flight I flew KTM-LXA a couple of years ago, where they played the safety video with no sound, and passengers still in the aisles dealing with luggage. If I hadn't looked up and noticed the video screens showing a cartoon panda, I wouldn't have even known they were doing a safety demo.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Contrast that with an Air China flight I flew KTM-LXA a couple of years ago, where they played the safety video with no sound, and passengers still in the aisles dealing with luggage. If I hadn't looked up and noticed the video screens showing a cartoon panda, I wouldn't have even known they were doing a safety demo.
I fly CA regularly and I can guarantee you that was probably an exception. The cartoon panda I'm very familiar with as well as the BS security officer announcement "I am the security team leader of this flight. In accordance to the regulations... blah blah"

Last edited by Wise-Broccoli8301; Sep 27, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
In fact I was on a Delta flight a couple of days ago where the FA made we exit row passengers unplug buds from the seatback screens and plug them into the armrest - to eliminate a tripping hazard.
Could that be particular to the exit row though? Not that I doubt you, just that I don't recall ever being asked to unplug on a DL flight, certainly not as a loudspeaker announcement to the entire plane.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, regardless of the rules, keeping the cabin tidy and window shades open during takeoff/landing is just good practice. It is like wearing seatbelts in cars before they became mandatory. You do it because it can help you and those around you in case of any problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.