Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Connecting from VS international to UA domestic at IAD (separate tickets) ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting from VS international to UA domestic at IAD (separate tickets) ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:28 am

You replied to my comment above but you really don’t seem to understand what i said. I said I’ve arrived many times and have been outside the airport completely done with all formalities within 40 minutes.
That time does include the mobile lounge. That time includes global entry. That time includes waiting for baggage. Usually by the tune you’ve taken the mobile lounge and gone through immigration the baggage is arriving on the belts. It’s quick. United’s check in counters are upstairs once you’re done with immigration. Sometimes they have a desk pen for luggage recheck at the baggage hall. Otherwise it’s a 5 minute walk. Don’t connect through Boston. That’s a ridiculous waste of time.

Originally Posted by oceanscape
Question: when I clear customs/immigration and collect my baggage from my Virgin Atlantic flight will I need to change terminal to get to the United Airlines check-in desks for my flight to MCO? Is it a train ride or walk?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2018 at 6:46 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
It would help if you gave us the exact dates and times. There is a flight at 10:30PM from IAD to MCO, although maybe it doesn't run on your day.

The best I have done wheels-down to curb has been about 40-45 minutes - without a bag. The best I have done curb to C/D gate is about 20 minutes. So you have maybe 40 minutes of margin to collect your bag, stand in lines, and deal with any delays. This is not impossible, but is less margin than I would like.
Thanks. It's the VS21 arriving 14:50 on 6 October and then the UA419 departing 17:05 (it was originally later, like 17:40, when I booked it but then got a schedule change).

Originally Posted by jasondc
You replied to my comment above but you really don’t seem to understand what i said. I said I’ve arrived many times and have been outside the airport completely done with all formalities within 40 minutes.
That time does include the mobile lounge. That time includes global entry. That time includes waiting for baggage. Usually by the tune you’ve taken the mobile lounge and gone through immigration the baggage is arriving on the belts. It’s quick. United’s check in counters are upstairs once you’re done with immigration. Sometimes they have a desk pen for luggage recheck at the baggage hall. Otherwise it’s a 5 minute walk. Don’t connect through Boston. That’s a ridiculous waste of time.
Okay, well thanks - that is reassuring. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that my VS flight arrives on time.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2018 at 6:49 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I've also arrived at IAD internationally many times, I know all the tricks to get to the front of the group at immigration, and I don't think I've ever been at the curb in 40 minutes. All Global Entry gets you is a chance to wait for your checked bags. If you have checked bags, you won't make it.

FYI, you clear formalities in the main terminal. As I said before, I don't know if UA has anyone right there to check bags. If they don't, you have to go upstairs to the UA desk.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by frontenac551
First off the plane is, sadly, not often all that helpful at IAD. Everyone has to get onto the "Moving Lounges" and, unless you are lucky and just catch one still loading from a previous flight, you are generally waiting for the lounge to fill (i.e. waiting for the passengers getting off the plane behind you).

Unless things have changed recently (lived in DC until a year ago and have been back a few times since but last trip was March).
From A/B the autotrain will be much faster than the people movers. (C/D is a different story) A/B is also connected to the main terminal via a walkway if OP wants to sprint on foot.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:16 am

The AeroTrain and the tunnel aren't options for arriving international passengers.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Thanks. It's the VS21 arriving 14:50 on 6 October and then the UA419 departing 17:05.
Then your backup is UA689 departing IAD at 10:30PM. If you need to do this, you want to SDC before your original flight departs.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:35 am

Then your backup is UA689 departing IAD at 10:30PM. If you need to do this, you want to SDC before your original flight departs.
Definitely do this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thank you so much for this info! I have no idea why this flight wasn't showing up on SkyScanner when I was searching for later options. That will be a perfect backup.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:41 am

I may be misinterpreting your use of the term "backup" but do a SDC to the 10:30 flight pre-departure and, if you get lucky on arrival you can stand-by for your original flight.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by EricH
I may be misinterpreting your use of the term "backup" but do a SDC to the 10:30 flight pre-departure and, if you get lucky on arrival you can stand-by for your original flight.
He/she can use it as a backup via the flat tire rule (what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight))

As long as the OP arrives at the United ticket counter within 2 hours of the missed flight, United should rebook onto the 10:30 PM flight. Obviously there is some level of risk here as the 10:30 PM flight may be sold out, but if that is the case it won't be possible to do a same-day change either.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:53 am

I think you'll be fine. In my experience the foreign carriers at IAD do a pretty good job moving things along for their customers. when you get on the mobile lounge they'll tell you to go all the way to the back. Ignore them. Stay near the front. That way you'll get off quickly and get right through to global entry. I'm flying IAD - LHR on 10/5 so will be landing at Heathrow just as you're taking off for Dulles. Enjoy and safe travels.

Okay, well thanks - that is reassuring. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that my VS flight arrives on time.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I've gotten home in Reston in less than 40 minutes from wheels-down on international flights, with checked bags, so you can certainly pull this off. Do keep in mind that 4:00 - 5:00 PM is the rush hour at security at Dulles. If you're Pre-check, you should be fine, but I think you will have to go upstairs instead of going through the first security line you come to after baggage transfer after Customs.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EricH
If OP prefers this option, there's no need to wait -- OP can call now and ask to be put onto the later flight due to the schedule change on the original itinerary.

It can be difficult to stand by with checked luggage. Not all agents will do it.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jsloan
If OP prefers this option, there's no need to wait -- OP can call now and ask to be put onto the later flight due to the schedule change on the original itinerary.

It can be difficult to stand by with checked luggage. Not all agents will do it.
This. It's why complete details would have eliminated the rest of this thread and OP's various worries.

UA will change him to the later flight on request. If by chance he arrives in time to make the earlier flight and there is space, he can standby for the earlier flight or, more than likely, be issued a new BP given the timing.

Given the choice and OP's willingness to run to DCA and purchase a new ticket on AA, it would seem better to be assured of making it that night than to worry about availability on the day of travel.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
It should be tight but doable since you have GE, but only if your arrival at IAD is not delayed.
oceanscape likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.