Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
I can count past single digit numbers

Originally Posted by Often1
How many people still use paper BP's?

I suppose that it has value for those who can't count in the single digits.

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
I never use an electronic Boarding Pass for reasons which others have stated elsewhere on this topic and because I restrict the use of my cellphone. A paper version of the BP is of great value to me.
Are you implying that I am mentally sub-normal because I insist on using a paper BP? Your snide remark is not appreciated.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Blutak
Are you implying that I am mentally sub-normal because I insist on using a paper BP? Your snide remark is not appreciated.
I think they meant (sarcastically) that the color coding of digital BPs (the topic of this thread) are useful for people who can't count to single digits. Not that users of paper BPs are inferior.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Me. I keep paper BPs as a reminder to check to make sure my mileage posts. When the credits show up, I toss 'em.
This. I also print them in case my phone freezes while in line (rare, but it has happened) and in case the system has put me in the same seat with someone else. No way I'm handing my phone to the FA so he/she can sort it out.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by threeoh
I see over on the Delta forum that there was a massive IT outage today, one effect of which was that people with paper BPs were boarding just fine and people with mobile boarding passes were having to show identity by photo ID or verifying seat number.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...locations.html
All those inferior people using paper BPs must have been laughing as they boarded.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
I still need to use paper BPs because I don’t have a wipey swipey phone and never intend to get one.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I always get a paper BP. I like hard copy in case there’s a problem.
I get (or print) paper boarding passes for this reason and also to give the TSA ID checker something to scribble his/her initials on. Many of them seem to take great pride and joy in this task and I wouldn't want to deprive them of that little bit of happiness in what must be a dull and dreary job. :-:

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Who still uses a print-at-home boarding pass? Almost all of the paper ones I see are kiosk generated.
Me. Both.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I use mobile bp when I travel in places ID is not required, like intra-Schengen. For INTL always paper as it's easier to hand it along with your passport.

On any itinerary when I check bags I get the bp from the counter anyway.
gmt4 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I always show up at the airport with a printed boarding pass as a back-up, but I use my mobile boarding pass exclusively once at the airport. A few years ago UA had a computer outage at LAX on a day when I had a rollaboard to stow, and they only permitted people with paper boarding passes to board initially. And my 21-month-old iPhone died quite unexpectedly a few weeks ago, (thankfully) 3 days after I returned from SIN. Technology fails at the most inopportune times, and I don't ever want to be in one of those extremely rare situations where I am 100% dependent upon technology when a simple act of a hard copy backup will potentially save me time and hassle. But I fully leverage the available technology to make my life easier during the 99.99% of the time that it works as intended.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My purely subjective observation (I'm not about to stand next to the GA with a stopwatch) is that, on average, passengers with paper boarding passes (either kiosk or printed @ home) spend less time at the BP scanner than those with boarding passes on a 'smart'phone (or other device). How often have I seen passengers' screens go 'dark' just before scanning, or the screen is displaying the BP for a connecting flight, or another passenger, or some 'pop-up' message has obliterated it, etc. etc.

I've never had any of the above issues with a paper BP. YMMV.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
My purely subjective observation (I'm not about to stand next to the GA with a stopwatch) is that, on average, passengers with paper boarding passes (either kiosk or printed @ home) spend less time at the BP scanner than those with boarding passes on a 'smart'phone (or other device).
This. I've never figured out what problem, exactly, mobile boarding passes are supposed to be solving. The only time I use them is if I've been upgraded since I arrived at the airport and I can't find a kiosk to reprint my boarding pass.

Now, if the scanners were NFC-enabled and you could board based upon your stored MileagePlus card (think Apple Pay), then, maybe. As it stands, it's just not that big of a deal to board using a piece of paper.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jsloan
This. I've never figured out what problem, exactly, mobile boarding passes are supposed to be solving. The only time I use them is if I've been upgraded since I arrived at the airport and I can't find a kiosk to reprint my boarding pass.

Now, if the scanners were NFC-enabled and you could board based upon your stored MileagePlus card (think Apple Pay), then, maybe. As it stands, it's just not that big of a deal to board using a piece of paper.
For me, the convenience factor lies in not having to find a printer when I’m on the road, and not worrying about missing the 45 minute checkin cutoff and being able to head straight to security without having to stop at and/or find a kiosk. Those are huge problems mobile boarding passes have solved for me over the last decade (or just about).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs

For me, the convenience factor lies in not having to find a printer when I’m on the road, and not worrying about missing the 45 minute checkin cutoff and being able to head straight to security without having to stop at and/or find a kiosk. Those are huge problems mobile boarding passes have solved for me over the last decade (or just about).
I check in on the phone the day before, then stop briefly by the kiosk to print the BP out when I arrive at the airport. It rarely takes me more than an extra minute.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I check in on the phone the day before, then stop briefly by the kiosk to print the BP out when I arrive at the airport. It rarely takes me more than an extra minute.
At some airports, especially if arriving via public transit instead of getting dropped off at the Departures curb, "stopping by" a kiosk could be quite out of the way on your way to the nearest TSA checkpoint.

Also imagine your SO and your two kids check-in for your 6pm flight, SDC to the 4pm, and stand by for the 2pm. Now your CPU clears, so you print a new BP. An aisle seat opens up, so you move and print a new BP. You've now produced 14 pieces of paper all, 10 of which are now out of date. Now they clear standbys on the 2pm, and you've printed 18 boarding passes. With mobile boarding passes, everything is just refreshed to the latest correct version.

The biggest thing for me, tbh, is that my phone fits in my jeans pocket whereas a boarding pass doesn't. If I'm wearing a jacket or shirt with breast pocket, then great. If I'm not, then I'm always at a loss about where to stash my boarding pass and it usually ends up in my bag.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
My purely subjective observation (I'm not about to stand next to the GA with a stopwatch) is that, on average, passengers with paper boarding passes (either kiosk or printed @ home) spend less time at the BP scanner than those with boarding passes on a 'smart'phone (or other device). How often have I seen passengers' screens go 'dark' just before scanning, or the screen is displaying the BP for a connecting flight, or another passenger, or some 'pop-up' message has obliterated it, etc. etc.

I've never had any of the above issues with a paper BP. YMMV.
a full A320 with paper boarding passes is boarded in 5-6min (a good agent takes 4min). With phones (android phones are especially bad - and watches too) it takes 12-15min. In other words, those phone boarding passes are a waste of time for the passengers and the airlines, but people think that they are somehow advantageous. I am in my early 20ies and stopped Checking in online. I reserve seats when I book the flight and then go to the airport counter, that is a matter of 60s vs 2-3min online.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 330

a full A320 with paper boarding passes is boarded in 5-6min (a good agent takes 4min). With phones (android phones are especially bad - and watches too) it takes 12-15min. In other words, those phone boarding passes are a waste of time for the passengers and the airlines, but people think that they are somehow advantageous. I am in my early 20ies and stopped Checking in online. I reserve seats when I book the flight and then go to the airport counter, that is a matter of 60s vs 2-3min online.
I doubt that you can board an A320 in four minutes under any circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.