Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
How many people still use paper BP's?

I suppose that it has value for those who can't count in the single digits.

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
I do use paper BP's. Especially since the day that there was this younger man desperately asking people around if they had a cord to charge his cell phone.

I also fill the customs form coming back to the US for if the Global Entry computer malfunctions. It has happened.....

And, don't worry for me, I can count in the single digits. I can even count to 20: 10 fingers and 10 toes......
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I absolutely use paper BPs. I check in online and print them at the airport. I have twice (in the last year, even) been in airports where the printed boarding passes were invaluable. When something goes crazily wrong, a printed boarding pass is definitely worth it.
But in such a case, a saved PDF boarding pass in your email inbox should also work, right? Is there something special about paper BPs?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
I do. I check-in on-line and then when I get to the airport I ask for a printed BP.

It confirms the seat I have such that if I get moved I have the original BP with the details.

If someone queries my seat I have the paper BP to confirm - you would be amazed at what people can do with cellphones these days (although not me but some of my students are whizzes!)

Once an itinerary goes from the current reservations I need to go back to the e-mails to get the confirmation as they do not always appear in my past reservations - I am sure it is user error but the paper BP solves the problem (for me).

I am a greenie and do get concerned about the number of trees that are destroyed but recycled paper is a half way step.

BTW - I too can count. I am a CPA so what number would you like?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by erickliu
Sometimes if you print from a universal checkin kiosk, you can get some weird colors. I've gotten a red United logo at PEK once.
Oddly appropriate for PEK
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
But in such a case, a saved PDF boarding pass in your email inbox should also work, right? Is there something special about paper BPs?
Yes, that barcode also works and can be scanned from a phone. Bit of a pain to position it but works in a pinch.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Yes, it means I do not have to get out my phone. it is just one more thing for me to forget if it is not in my handbag (loosing my phone I mean). My BP sits inside my book. We are always being reminded to check for any belongings before we leave the plane - I am one of those people (who forgets things) and since the WiFi rarely works for me on my flights my phone stays inside my handbag.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
For personnel in certain overseas stations definitely.

When you went to the UC in NRT and wanted to take a shower, did they still ask for a BP to hold onto? They did for me in June. I sure as heck won’t leave my phone with them.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I use paper as well. Paper always works the first time, you never see people waving it back and forth, trying to expand, adjust brightness etc...

And I can count all the way to ten, when i run out of fingers.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I use paper as well. Paper always works the first time, you never see people waving it back and forth, trying to expand, adjust brightness etc...

And I can count all the way to ten, when i run out of fingers.
Plus it gives the fine folks at BOM airport something to apply 6000 stamps to between checkin and boarding the plane.
brp1264 and AStarr like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
How many people still use paper BP's?...
Me. I keep paper BPs as a reminder to check to make sure my mileage posts. When the credits show up, I toss 'em.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, a PDF image is not sufficient for a checkpoint. Unless your checkpoint is in the new pilot program in which case you don't need a BP at all.

Either paper or e-BP.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Originally Posted by GRB051111
This brings back memories of the "gold" BPs from 2000s
I'm super old school but I really LOVED those BPs. Printed on hard stock and all in Gold, it just looked and felt special, even if it really wasn't.
Agreed on both points^

I always use paper bp's*. I have the mobile bp on my phone simply because it updates but I don't want to get to the insecurity checkpoint only to be told that the scanner won't read my mobile bp and then I lose my place in line by having to back and get my bp printed at a kiosk or via an agent

*and I carry two copies of a paper bp as in the case of a VDB, IRROPS, missing miles posting and etc where the agent keeps my bp, I might need the second copy it to submit for credit
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
No, a PDF image is not sufficient for a checkpoint. Unless your checkpoint is in the new pilot program in which case you don't need a BP at all.

Either paper or e-BP.
I used a PDF of a BP once in FRA I think. It was about 5 years ago on LX or LH.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by goalie
Agreed on both points^

I always use paper bp's*. I have the mobile bp on my phone simply because it updates but I don't want to get to the insecurity checkpoint only to be told that the scanner won't read my mobile bp and then I lose my place in line by having to back and get my bp printed at a kiosk or via an agent

*and I carry two copies of a paper bp as in the case of a VDB, IRROPS, missing miles posting and etc where the agent keeps my bp, I might need the second copy it to submit for credit

I still remember the location to the "last" gold printing machine you pointed out to me at JFK years ago. Of course, JFK and the machine are long gone.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:31 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC

I always get a paper BP. I like hard copy in case there’s a problem. Plus, I’ve got a drawer at work that must have 1000+ boarding passes, so I’m just adding to my collection. I guess you can call me old school on this one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.