Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

I posted in the boarding process thread about how a recent itinerary I had featured a teal-colored boarding pass (both in the app and in Apple Wallet) as opposed to the usual white background in app/navy blue wallet card. Today, I noticed another passenger had an orange colored boarding pass.

I’m wondering if anyone knows what the colors signify or if we can try to crowdsource what colors exist and what they correspond to?

For starters, there’s the teal color I received. I was in group 1 (platinum). There also exists an orange one, but I don’t know what group the passholder was in. It’s also possible that the color hinges on something other than or in combination with the boarding group.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:48 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
AFAIK orange is basic economy (im sure 99% sure)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rmannion
I posted in the boarding process thread about how a recent itinerary I had featured a teal-colored boarding pass (both in the app and in Apple Wallet) as opposed to the usual white background in app/navy blue wallet card. Today, I noticed another passenger had an orange colored boarding pass.

I’m wondering if anyone knows what the colors signify or if we can try to crowdsource what colors exist and what they correspond to?

For starters, there’s the teal color I received. I was in group 1 (platinum). There also exists an orange one, but I don’t know what group the passholder was in. It’s also possible that the color hinges on something other than or in combination with the boarding group.
BE thread is too long for me to check, but believe BE BPs are orange to call out they’re on a BE fare and have restrictions. Don’t think it’s new - believe this has been the case since BE fares started.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emcampbe
believe BE BPs are orange to call out they’re on a BE fare and have restrictions.
So if you only have a black-and-white printer, do they remove the restrictions?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Ah, thanks for the confirmation about what orange is. As I mentioned in the other thread, my teal pass corresponded to a basic transatlantic fare (which doesn't have a fee for carry-ons... yet).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:57 pm

This brings back memories of the "gold" BPs from 2000s
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GRB051111
Except this time the non standard colors are equivalent to scarlet letters
GRB051111, n198ua, atword and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA MP
Sometimes if you print from a universal checkin kiosk, you can get some weird colors. I've gotten a red United logo at PEK once.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erickliu
Sometimes if you print from a universal checkin kiosk, you can get some weird colors. I've gotten a red United logo at PEK once.
Cool. Where have you found a universal kiosk at PEK that handles UA? I never noticed any of the ones along the entry-nearest wall/barrier (overhanging the arrivals floor) that showed a UA logo.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GRB051111
I'm super old school but I really LOVED those BPs. Printed on hard stock and all in Gold, it just looked and felt special, even if it really wasn't.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How many people still use paper BP's?

I suppose that it has value for those who can't count in the single digits.

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Often1
I do. When UA's system is down, paper boarding pass is the only back up. Granted it rarely happens. When it does happen, you wish you had a paper boarding pass to get through TSA security check and board your flight.
am1108, royng, greg99 and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1

I suppose that it has value for those who can't count in the single digits.

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
I absolutely use paper BPs. I check in online and print them at the airport. I have twice (in the last year, even) been in airports where the printed boarding passes were invaluable. When something goes crazily wrong, a printed boarding pass is definitely worth it.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:43 am

BE boarding passes are in orange even if you're in BG1/BG2 because of status, which is confusing because the carry-on restrictions don't apply to you.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So if you only have a black-and-white printer, do they remove the restrictions?
Sadly no. As far as I'm aware, United forces people flying basic economy to check in at the airport to ensure the carry-on luggage situation is being abided by and to issue these boarding cards. So no print at home option for basic economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.