Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ticket / passenger issues due to "title" used in account profile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Was checking in for my flight tomorrow SFO-JFK and realized that my boarding pass didn't display "Premier Access". I called the Premier desk and the agent told me that it was because my title under my MP account was "Prof" for Professor / this was the name on my ticket and the system doesn't support it anymore. Found this odd since nothing has changed on MP profile in a while...

Here is the kicker - agent was able to fix this for my upcoming flight but not able to do so for a SFO-BOM trip I have scheduled in Dec because Swiss Air operates one leg on the outbound (ZRH-BOM) he can't fix it. Agent informed me that because of this I wouldn't be getting any Gold / *G benefits and would have to submit an appeal to have the mileage posted after my travel!

The whole reason I booked UA at a much higher cost for this trip (my honeymoon) was the *G benefits! I am dumbfounded since the ticket still shows under my MP account on United.com and the passenger data was self populated by MP account when I bought the ticket online!

Anyone heard of this or have any advice?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:32 pm

My guess is that the agent made basically all of this up, and is wrong about your future flight.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

You think so?

I even spoke to a supervisor and she had the same "sorry you are out of luck response"...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:41 pm

Is it letting you select E+ seating?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
My guess is that the agent made basically all of this up, and is wrong about your future flight.
Is it letting you select E+ seating?
It did during booking and I even called in right away to have my fiance seated next to me (traveling on a different PNR). I am afraid to go back in and try and change seats at the risk of losing E+ that the two of us have now.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
I had a flight where my first and last names were reversed. (ticketed on the phone through MP agent)

Of course I didn't notice until I was ready to travel - massive hassle ensued.

My understanding is that the name goes with the ticket, and you can't change the name on the ticket, so you'd have to re-issue it. I think the problem was that there's a partner coupon involved and they either can't or don't want to re-issue that ticket with the partner segment attached.

In my case, I had a flight on ANA and I had to get past security at NRT without a boarding pass but with checked luggage stubs and reservation page, then had my ANA boarding pass issued by the airside CSR.

Thereafter the segments were purely on UA and UA could fix the name without any issues.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by rkj2106
I even spoke to a supervisor and she had the same "sorry you are out of luck response"...
It just does not sound right; so my advice would be HUCA (Hang Up/Call Again) in a few days. Don't reference the previous conversation. Call during normal business hours and hope for an experienced CSR. If that does not work PM the UA Insider who monitors this website.

SunLover
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Sounds terrible, the whole point of flying UA was for us was to avoid some hassle with *G on the honeymoon!

I wouldn't have noticed it until then either but the issue happen to appear on my flight for tomorrow. My guess is that IT IS POSSIBLE to re-issue the tickets correctly but they just don't want to...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
My guess is that if you carried your *G card, you'd be able to find an agent who'd give you whatever benefits you seek, most of the time without any hassle.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by PVDProf
My guess is that if you carried your *G card, you'd be able to find an agent who'd give you whatever benefits you seek, most of the time without any hassle.
Ironically in my experience at ZRH I needed my *G card to get lounge access. Wouldn't accept my BP which had *G printed. So keep that in mind
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by SunLover
It just does not sound right; so my advice would be HUCA (Hang Up/Call Again) in a few days. Don't reference the previous conversation. Call during normal business hours and hope for an experienced CSR. If that does not work PM the UA Insider who monitors this website.

SunLover
+1. As long as what you're asking is reasonable (and this is), some agent out there is willing to put in the effort for you.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Sounds terrible, the whole point of flying UA was for us was to avoid some hassle with *G on the honeymoon!

I wouldn't have noticed it until then either but the issue happen to appear on my flight for tomorrow. My guess is that IT IS POSSIBLE to re-issue the tickets correctly but they just don't want to...
My understanding with the problem was that the UA CSR at LAX didn't want to mess with my ticket because if they had re-issued it, it would take a while for the UA/ANA computer to re-sync themselves, and if I had shown up for my flight and ANA can't find my ticket, then I'd be stuck, so the UA CSR's told me to go through to NRT and have the ANA CSR's fix it when I get there - it would be a messed up ticket, but at least I would be assured that they'd have a ticket to work with.

I didn't know when you were traveling, but it seems that you were going to travel tomorrow, the UA CSR's may have the same concern in regards to re-issuing the ticket and having it propagate through to the partner airline. That is, it sounds like they're trying to protect you/them from possibly falling into a bigger mess.

The caveat here is that I don't know if this is really the issue, but this is my understanding of it when it happened to me and seems like with your travel schedule, your problem is very similar.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Was checking in for my flight tomorrow SFO-JFK and realized that my boarding pass didn't display "Premier Access". I called the Premier desk and the agent told me that it was because my title under my MP account was "Prof" for Professor / this was the name on my ticket and the system doesn't support it anymore. Found this odd since nothing has changed on MP profile in a while...

Here is the kicker - agent was able to fix this for my upcoming flight but not able to do so for a SFO-BOM trip I have scheduled in Dec because Swiss Air operates one leg on the outbound (ZRH-BOM) he can't fix it. Agent informed me that because of this I wouldn't be getting any Gold / *G benefits and would have to submit an appeal to have the mileage posted after my travel!

The whole reason I booked UA at a much higher cost for this trip (my honeymoon) was the *G benefits! I am dumbfounded since the ticket still shows under my MP account on United.com and the passenger data was self populated by MP account when I bought the ticket online!

Anyone heard of this or have any advice?
Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago, because my UA boarding passes print with "ms" in front of my first name, and I wasn't getting credit for Turkish Airlines flights because they didn't have the "ms" and therefore the name on the boarding pass didn't match my MP account. Took a few calls to get it sorted out. As with anything else, it all hangs on the agent you get on the line. I suggest calling again and again until you get someone who knows what they are doing. Even supervisors are clueless half the time.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Nope..
My title in MP is Dr.. I am also Prof. but due to my corp TA being very one dimensional I get booked at MR.. Never had an issue
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

I'll give it a few days and call again to try and get a capable and willing agent. Was very surpassed that even a supervisor was so dismissive. Hopefully bad luck and I'll get it corrected before the trip in December!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.