Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ticket / passenger issues due to "title" used in account profile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket / passenger issues due to "title" used in account profile

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Small child miss-gendered on UA despite being correct in profile

Hello all. I'm hoping for a fix on this. recurring problem for my soon to be 2yr old son. His UA profile is correct in gender but when I book him a flight my manage reservations tab and in several of the click through pages continue to gender him as a Ms. I've mentioned it to UA on calls and at the airport before and it has never seemed to matter for check in or security so I hadn't pressed until today.

We flew JP from LJU-MUC connecting onto a UA TATL. JP had significant trouble checking us in (30min at the counter) and could not get us checked in for the TATL flight, which required us to check in at MUC (though they could check our luggage through to the final destination). The JP rep repeatedly mentioned "But it is a boy" so I am guessing that this issue has finally caught up with us. below is a screen grab from my manage reservations tab showing the Ms., both other travelers on the reservation do not display any gender identifier preceding their names.

1K desk today said that on my saved travelers he did not have a specified gender though it was on his UA MP profile. The rep adjusted it on my page and said that it shouldn't be a problem moving forward but it has not changed on any of the bookings he is on.

Any advice or suggestions as to what to do? I'm not worried about UA flights as they seem to not matter (at least so far) but with the issue on JP I'm now concerned for future bookings on other partners if not checking in with UA for the first leg.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does he have a first/middle name that would be considered to be male in the USA, but might be a relatively unknown given name in Japan? That could explain why this was a problem for JAL but not UA.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Back in the early days when the TSA started requiring full names on the reservations, I had many an interesting encounters trying to get through security. In the early days, all the airlines could print on the boarding passes was first name, middle initial and last name with no spaces between the first name and initial. Well my name was Eric Andrew, which ended up showing as ERICA. The discussion about this with the agents could be quick or something quite protracted. My DL did not have any middle initial at that time, so I took to using my passport as the id as that showed my full name. Fortunately this only lasted about 1 year or so, but still made some fun times getting through security.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is why I wish that carriers would abandon titles of all manner on tickets. They make mistakes, TA's make mistakes, and passengers typing too quickly make too many mistakes. Just stick to a simple system of the first X letters of of two names and be done with it.,
kale73, IndyHoosier and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does he have a first/middle name that would be considered to be male in the USA, but might be a relatively unknown given name in Japan? That could explain why this was a problem for JAL but not UA.
It was on Adria air (JP I think). He has an uncommon name that could be confusing i suppose. but what I don't understand why the system insists on putting him as a Ms. when his profile is Male and his repeatedly scanned passport is obviously male.

Originally Posted by drowelf
Back in the early days when the TSA started requiring full names on the reservations, I had many an interesting encounters trying to get through security. In the early days, all the airlines could print on the boarding passes was first name, middle initial and last name with no spaces between the first name and initial. Well my name was Eric Andrew, which ended up showing as ERICA. The discussion about this with the agents could be quick or something quite protracted. My DL did not have any middle initial at that time, so I took to using my passport as the id as that showed my full name. Fortunately this only lasted about 1 year or so, but still made some fun times getting through security.
Now his name shows full first name with first 3 letters of his middle name. super confusing. Though your's sounds worse!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:29 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I don't really have much experience flying with children, but don't they sometimes use the title Master for child tickets...
Ms = Master...?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Delete his profile and recreate it. Unless he already has his own MP number?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr
If this is in your account (under profiles & preferences, view all travelers) then agree- delete and re-create. If he has his own MP#, the review his profile too.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Originally Posted by zebranz
If this is in your account (under profiles & preferences, view all travelers) then agree- delete and re-create. If he has his own MP#, the review his profile too.
Alas he's already got a MP number, profile, and enough miles (both redeemable and lifetime) that it would be a setback. though I suppose I could burn them on a ticket at this point.

Originally Posted by mr8
I don't really have much experience flying with children, but don't they sometimes use the title Master for child tickets...
Ms = Master...?
Hmm. good idea, though it strikes me that UA is unlikely to employ such an abbreviation. If this were LH or BA it would seem more plausible.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by AceReport
Alas he's already got a MP number, profile, and enough miles (both redeemable and lifetime) that it would be a setback. though I suppose I could burn them on a ticket at this point.
No- misunderstood. On your account delete his name as "all travelers"- will not effect his account.
If the mistake is under his account, United will correct his profile if you cannot edit it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2019 at 9:42 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
No- misunderstood. On your account delete his name as "all travelers"- will not effect his account.
If the mistake is under his account, United will correct his profile if you cannot edit it.
Ahh,, ok i'll give that a try
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AceReport
Originally Posted by mr8
Ms = Master...?
Hmm. good idea, though it strikes me that UA is unlikely to employ such an abbreviation. If this were LH or BA it would seem more plausible.
For UA, Master is availabe as Mstr. (?? potentially truncated by another airline as Ms?)

Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
This is why I wish that carriers would abandon titles of all manner on tickets.
I agree. I find it odd that the ‘Title’ field appears to be required in the MileagePlus account profile for the ‘Member/Primary Traveler’ (when I tried to change mine to ‘Not Selected’ it errored out and reverted to ‘Mr.’) but is specifically labeled as ‘Optional’ in the profiles for the ‘Other Saved Travelers’.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For UA, Master is availabe as Mstr. (?? potentially truncated by another airline as Ms?)

It's definitely possible. However he shows as Ms. on UA.bom so I'm pretty confident that the problem is not only being truncated by JP.

I've deleted and recreated his saved traveler profile on my account to gender him as Mr. It had no effect on existing bookings (not surprising) but I will update once I make a new booking to see if it makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.