Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Old Sep 21, 18, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer View Post
It's stuff like this that makes me nervous to fly United.
And American. A Mesa crew may be just as likely to be working an AA flight.
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:56 am
Suspended

Don't blame the FA...come on...she must be from EWR...that's how people act.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
The captain should have deplaned the FA: now THAT would have been fun to watch!
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen View Post
You appear to have a completely backward way of thinking about it. No, under the seat is not my primary location of storage. Under the seat is where my legs and feet go. I submit that most would agree with that view point and would view your assertion as backwards.
Sorry, but you're mistaken, as you'll find if you ever listen to the announcements made during boarding. What I wrote was as near a quote as I can recall.

I've heard the same announcement, or something similar, on every US airline I've ever flown. I've rarely flown narrowbodies on foreign carriers so I don't want to make a statement one way or the other there, but in the US it's ubiquitous.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I have never seen anyone take two massive roll-aboards onto a United flight except for a parent traveling with a young child -- and the child has the same luggage allowance as the adult. I'd expect this hypothetical person to be stopped at the gate, and, no, I'm not asking you to accommodate him.
Thank you very much for the belly laugh that followed reading this! Frequently I see a businessman (or woman) usually in a later boarding group with TWO roller boards and a shoulder bag and occasionally a smaller bag.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K, Avianca, Etihad
"I proceeded to open the bin anyways to see if my small carry-on could be fitted in by adjusting bags. I saw a small backpack and asked the FA if he could ask a passenger to place it under the seat in front of them"

I don't get it. Who thinks like this? Why would anyone think this was appropriate? So your saying that your small carry-on is more important than the other small backpack? Do people actually bother flight attendants by suggesting bag movements of other passengers? A normal reaction to a full bin above your seat would be to look in another bin or gate check.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
Thank you very much for the belly laugh that followed reading this! Frequently I see a businessman (or woman) usually in a later boarding group with TWO roller boards and a shoulder bag and occasionally a smaller bag.
I swear, sometimes I feel like there are two separate Uniteds; the one I fly and the one that people describe here.

The only people I regularly see with more luggage than is allowed are flight attendants, who tend to have the full three-piece allotment that was common before 9/11. How do these people move their bags around? I have enough of an issue with a backpack and a roll-aboard.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
It's actually half of the F seats on an E175 don't have underseat storage.
I count 3 (bulkhead) where are the others?
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post

I count 3 (bulkhead) where are the others?
They must be referring to the A seats. I've never had any problems fitting my backpack under the A seats, but it's the only thing that makes sense.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The overhead bins are shared space; first-come, first-served. There really isn't much more beyond that. Many passengers have varying opinions about what additional rules should apply but it really is just about working together to get everyone's stuff stored efficiently. If more focused on that, instead of on defending their 'entitlements', we'd avoid a lot of conflict. It is good when the crewmembers can lead in that process and help find options that the passenger(s) may not have thought of.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
No, I'm suggesting that if it fits under the seat in front of you, you shouldn't have put it in the overhead until (and unless) everyone else had boarded first.

I understand that, and I stand by my point. Your "primary storage area is the space underneath the seat in front of you," to quote (paraphrase?) the announcement -- the exact same announcement OP was trying to get the FA to enforce.

There isn't enough room in the overhead compartment for everyone to put an item there. I don't think that's a secret. UA sets the maximum size, and while I do agree that some people abuse the space -- and, I did call them out as worse offenders -- you are still taking up shared space for something where it's not necessary.
First class aside, buying a regular economy ticket is more or less paying for the ability to store a bag in the overhead bin.. If I paid for it, I should be able to use it.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
I was on a flight some years ago in Y. An F passenger boarding in front of me was looking for overhead F space to put his bag and noticed that someone had placed a bag in sideways. He turned the bag lengthwise, giving him room to put his bag in, then sat down. The repositioned bag's owner didn't notice. I didn't see how it played out, but what if when the FA went to close the bin, it wouldn't close, and by then there was no other space (or any backpacks in the overhead)? Who would end up getting his/her rollerboard gate-checked?
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Sorry, but you're mistaken, as you'll find if you ever listen to the announcements made during boarding. What I wrote was as near a quote as I can recall.

I've heard the same announcement, or something similar, on every US airline I've ever flown. I've rarely flown narrowbodies on foreign carriers so I don't want to make a statement one way or the other there, but in the US it's ubiquitous.
Truth!
I can't believe that any FF doesn't know this.
I also haven't seen any 3 bag abusers, excepting flight crew. I see flight crew filling bins, usually at the front of a cabin, all the time.
kale73 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
I was on a flight some years ago in Y. An F passenger boarding in front of me was looking for overhead F space to put his bag and noticed that someone had placed a bag in sideways. He turned the bag lengthwise, giving him room to put his bag in, then sat down. The repositioned bag's owner didn't notice. I didn't see how it played out, but what if when the FA went to close the bin, it wouldn't close, and by then there was no other space (or any backpacks in the overhead)? Who would end up getting his/her rollerboard gate-checked?
That is a little more tricky, but if the bin won't close with someone's roller in lengthwise, the roller is over-size. So that seems the one more deserving of being checking, no?
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
First class aside, buying a regular economy ticket is more or less paying for the ability to store a bag in the overhead bin.. If I paid for it, I should be able to use it.
It's really not; it's paying for the ability to bring a carry-on, but you're still subject to needing bags gate-checked.

And if you're bringing an item that will fit under the seat in front of you, you're not taking advantage of that ability anyway. Heck, a BE passenger could throw his personal item into the overhead and inconvenience a late-arriving regular economy (or.. drumroll, please.. paid F!) passenger who had to board late.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: