Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Old Sep 21, 18, 10:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sharmaintl View Post
Great point. I would have been sitting in AUS had she not stepped up. I will take your advice and make the post on the importance of passengers speaking up when they see abusive FAs or other unacceptable behavior by even other passengers. Thanks for making the suggestion.

All I did was ask. This could have been a passenger in the bulkhead row with no seat to put under. I do not think at least asking was inappropriate. And I asked the FA for help to find out. And BTW, the pax did not have anything under the seat and the FA finally asked them if they could put it there when the captain decided not to deplane me. Either way, asking (without making a scene) if bags could be re-arranged in a bin if not an offense one should be deplaned for.
If the passenger only had one bag, it is the passengers right to use the overhead. I've had plenty of people get upset at me that I have my backpack in the overhead. I travel light and want the legroom, especially First Class aisle seats, where in the 739, make it difficult to put it under my seat. Just because it fits under the seat, doesn't mean that I must place it under my seat.

I wish I could hear the FA's point of view here. FA's don't just randomly ask a captain to come out and speak to a passenger. This story seems a bit one sided to me, and a bit unfair that the FA can't defend themselves. FA's are easy targets these days, and people seem to love attacking them. If you don't like the fact that no overhead space was available directly over your seat, then check in your bag next time and don't make a scene asking people who's bag it is and having the FA stop their pre departure duties and find out whose bag it is.

How many hits did the OP get on the blog?

Last edited by LASUA1K; Sep 21, 18 at 10:59 am
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:51 am

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I was once upgraded to a bulkhead seat on a regional jet. The overhead bins were too small for my backback, but it would fit under the seat. I was at a loss, as the backpack isn't something that could be gate-checked. A kind passenger in a row behind me offered to put my backpack under the seat in front of him. In retrospect, I should have offered to trade seats, but I got the impression that he preferred sitting where he was. In my case, the FA couldn't really do anything for me, but certainly wasn't rude about it.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 18 at 6:45 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post
While that is all nice and dandy and you are entitled to put ONE bag up top, please consider your fellow passengers. This myopic and greedy view is why we have problems in the first place.
I do have respect for fellow passengers, but if someone boards and is yacking who's backpack this is, my bag is staying right in that bin. I travel with one bag, and do my best to pack that way, I paid for my ticket and it allows me to put my backpack up top. I've had a passenger take my bag from the overhead and move it, while I was sitting in the bulkhead. The excuse, it's small you can fit it under your seat.

If I see someone board last, and needs the spot, I'll put my bag under my seat, but if it's a 5 hour flight, I want my legroom that I fought hard to pack lightly.
notquiteaff and User Name like this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
"Retraining" is when they are lazy and don't move the backpack. "Fired" is when they lie to the captain to try and have a passenger offloaded. Get your terminology straight.
On terminology, actually neither term corresponds in any normal sense to the definition you offer. Unless it depends upon what the meaning of is is.
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
It's stuff like this that makes me nervous to fly United.
iluv2fly and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:55 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
...I have never seen anyone take two massive roll-aboards onto a United flight...

....Somehow, we have simultaneous perceptions that UA never enforces luggage rules, to the extent that people bring everything they own onto an aircraft, and yet UA is also horribly restrictive about luggage, forcing people to check ....
My experience is that people often do bring two very large carry on items plus a third. It may just be the routes I fly and generally these people are in BG 1 or pre-board. It can be very difficult at times to put my small carryon into the overhead bin (it fits on all UA aircraft types).

As with most things related to United, enforcement is inconsistent I have spoken up in defence of GAs who ask passengers to use the sizer and the passengers get irate. I have also watched astounded by the number and size of the carryon by some people and the GAs say nothing (and these are not pax with small children).

I have had people rearrange my carryon (without asking) and have not said anything to them as I have been on the other end and do not want to gate check my carryon.

Generally if I ask the FA for assistance they offer to gate check my carryon if I cannot find space. They taught me not to ask. I suspect the OP will learn not to seek assistance again from the FAs.
Collierkr likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, IC Plat Ambassador, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
So the passenger with the small backpack should move the bag to accommodate you? Did you know if the passenger whth the backpack had another bag? I travel with a small backpack only and itís going above my seat!
Since this was an incident in the first class cabin, it was in my view clearly appropriate for the passenger to enlist the assistance of the FA to manage storage of the bags. How this happens is the crew's responsibility - but it IS their responsibility. If you're putting a small backpack in the coach overhead to be ornery, you're part of the problem. We're all in this together.
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
I'll remember that next time we fly together. I'll put my only carryon (a small backpack)underneath the seat in front of YOU... you know so as not to inconvenience the folks with 2 massive roll-aboards to store overhead.

I kid of course, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject. While I'm taking less than half the overhead space compared to every other passenger in the F cabin, I'll not feel a tinge of guilt for not jamming my bag under the seat in front of me.
This exactly. My backpack is not taking that much room. The 739 aisle seat has very very little room for a backpack. It's not fair that I need to jam my bag in, while others bring 3 times the size on board and then demand a backpack to be moved so they can squeeze their bag in. If a passenger doesn't like that space is gone directly above it's seat, then they should check in the bag.
User Name and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, IC Plat Ambassador, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
I'm going to upset pretty much everyone on FT, but I think overhead bins should be removed, period. In a crash, bad landing, turbulence, etc., I'm of the belief that minimizing the hazard during said events is a good thing. When I fly in small airplanes, everything is belted down. In 19 years of flying small airplanes we hit turbulence so significant last Sunday that I hit my head so hard on the headliner of the airplane that it knocked my headset off. In fact I was positive I had not only destroyed my $1,000 Bose headset, I looked to see if I broke the headliner, with a tight seatbelt no less. Not a fan of anything that can cause harm in such an event, and I'm not convinced overhead bins are as secure as the FAA allows.
Interesting, but completely irrelevant.
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
Let me understand the logic here. The passenger who is well under the carry-on allotment is "myopic and greedy," when they don't accommodate those who exceed the carry-on allotment?
I never said anything about EXCEEDING the allottment. And I should have used "self-centered" rather than greedy. You are entitled to your space and a gracious move in this scenario would have been to work with accomodating the OP's needs
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
I do have respect for fellow passengers, but if someone boards and is yacking who's backpack this is, my bag is staying right in that bin. I travel with one bag, and do my best to pack that way, I paid for my ticket and it allows me to put my backpack up top. I've had a passenger take my bag from the overhead and move it, while I was sitting in the bulkhead. The excuse, it's small you can fit it under your seat.

If I see someone board last, and needs the spot, I'll put my bag under my seat, but if it's a 5 hour flight, I want my legroom that I fought hard to pack lightly.
Thank you! That's cool and I agree. We shouldn't be touching other passengers' bags without consent.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:17 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Most of the examples in this thread are of backpacks in the overhead. What if it were a pile of winter coats in the overhead? I think in that situation, I would just say loud enough for those in nearby rows to hear, "Would whoever these coats belong to mind if I move them to make room for my bag?" The few times I can remember doing that, the owner took their coat while I put my bag in, then I placed their coat on top of my bag. It might be legal and compliant for me to dump my bag on top of their coat, but that wouldn't make it the right thing to do.

Maybe there's a win-win and after putting your rollerboard in the overhead, there's still room for the other person's backpack.

Regarding FA attitude, somewhat similar issue on EMB-145's where the FA's have to police what is an acceptable bag to bring on board. Decisions and attitudes among FA's range from professional/delightful all the way to angry/outrageous. I've been turned away trying to bring on a very small rollerboard that will easily fit in the overhead while watching someone else bring on a huge dufflebag that has to be forced into the overhead. On the other hand, on a late departing flight with a tight connection, I've been in 18C (with 18D open) and an FA allowed me to bring on a full size carry-on that I stored sideways under the seats in front of me. Many FA's on these flights will allow bulkhead passenger to place their small carry-on bag in the closet.

The one constant in any situation is that there's very little to gain by challenging an FA on interpretation of UA's rules.
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:17 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
1/3 of the F seats on an E175 have no underseat storage area. They use the overhead bins for their personal item.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No, I'm suggesting that if it fits under the seat in front of you, you shouldn't have put it in the overhead until (and unless) everyone else had boarded first.

I understand that, and I stand by my point. Your "primary storage area is the space underneath the seat in front of you," to quote (paraphrase?) the announcement -- the exact same announcement OP was trying to get the FA to enforce.

There isn't enough room in the overhead compartment for everyone to put an item there. I don't think that's a secret. UA sets the maximum size, and while I do agree that some people abuse the space -- and, I did call them out as worse offenders -- you are still taking up shared space for something where it's not necessary.
You appear to have a completely backward way of thinking about it. No, under the seat is not my primary location of storage. Under the seat is where my legs and feet go. I submit that most would agree with that view point and would view your assertion as backwards.
LASUA1K, User Name and JimInOhio like this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by fastair View Post
1/3 of the F seats on an E175 have no underseat storage area. They use the overhead bins for their personal item.
It's actually half of the F seats on an E175 don't have underseat storage.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: