Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Collierkr
While that is all nice and dandy and you are entitled to put ONE bag up top, please consider your fellow passengers. This myopic and greedy view is why we have problems in the first place.
Let me understand the logic here. The passenger who is well under the carry-on allotment is "myopic and greedy," when they don't accommodate those who exceed the carry-on allotment?
User Name, kale73 and zymm like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BearX220
The passenger has very little currency in these situations, and the airline will typically side with the employee, so your only real option is to minimize contact, keep your head down, and survive the trip... then write in. It is because most of these incidents of abuse go unreported that bad-apple employees thrive without fear.
Yup. It's really not a question of right or wrong. Onboard is not the place to be asserting your rights.
jimmc66 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Let me understand the logic here. The Passenger who is well under the carry-on allotment is myopic and greedy, when they don't accommodate those who exceed the carry-on allotment?
No -- both parties are wrong in that scenario.

I think you may be underestimating the carry-on luggage allowance, though:

You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit2:
  • Jacket or umbrella
  • Reading material
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
  • Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
  • FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
  • Diaper bag
  • Breast pump
  • Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)
Regardless, what if the last person coming on board merely has a regular, carry-on sized wheeled suitcase?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

Regardless, what if the last person coming on board merely has a regular, carry-on sized wheeled suitcase?
Then they need to gate check it, as I've done countless times in the past... after removing any essential items.
User Name likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:54 am

It's not "your legroom" in the first place. You chose to bring a bag on board. If you value the legroom to that extent, check the bag.
I'll remember that next time we fly together. I'll put my only carryon (a small backpack)underneath the seat in front of YOU... you know so as not to inconvenience the folks with 2 massive roll-aboards to store overhead.

I kid of course, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject. While I'm taking less than half the overhead space compared to every other passenger in the F cabin, I'll not feel a tinge of guilt for not jamming my bag under the seat in front of me.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm going to upset pretty much everyone on FT, but I think overhead bins should be removed, period. In a crash, bad landing, turbulence, etc., I'm of the belief that minimizing the hazard during said events is a good thing. When I fly in small airplanes, everything is belted down. In 19 years of flying small airplanes we hit turbulence so significant last Sunday that I hit my head so hard on the headliner of the airplane that it knocked my headset off. In fact I was positive I had not only destroyed my $1,000 Bose headset, I looked to see if I broke the headliner, with a tight seatbelt no less. Not a fan of anything that can cause harm in such an event, and I'm not convinced overhead bins are as secure as the FAA allows.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll remember that next time we fly together. I'll put my only carryon (a small backpack)underneath the seat in front of YOU... you know so as not to inconvenience the folks with 2 massive roll-aboards to store overhead.
There's no room under the seat in front of me, because that's where my backpack goes...

I have never seen anyone take two massive roll-aboards onto a United flight except for a parent traveling with a young child -- and the child has the same luggage allowance as the adult. I'd expect this hypothetical person to be stopped at the gate, and, no, I'm not asking you to accommodate him.

Somehow, we have simultaneous perceptions that UA never enforces luggage rules, to the extent that people bring everything they own onto an aircraft, and yet UA is also horribly restrictive about luggage, forcing people to check anything that doesn't fit inside the sizers. I'm not sure how that works, but...

Then they need to gate check it, as I've done countless times in the past... after removing any essential items.
I presume this was before you learned to be more efficient? Or are you gate-checking a bag that would fit under the seat in front of you?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM

This discussion seems to have really degenerated. All I can figure out is there's a view out there that "because my bag is bigger than yours, I have the right to have yours (even if it's the only thing they brought on board) moved to under your seat just to accommodate me". I can't recall anyone ever offering to store another person's item under the seat in front of THEM so they can fit something in the bin.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
These are the kind of toxic flight attendants that need to be fired... not "retrained."

People like this are what will drag UA (and other legacies) down.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might suggest firing is a form of retraining.
roberto99 and elbejt2 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:05 am

Somehow, we have simultaneous perceptions that UA never enforces luggage rules, to the extent that people bring everything they own onto an aircraft, and yet UA is also horribly restrictive about luggage, forcing people to check anything that doesn't fit inside the sizers. I'm not sure how that works, but...
The simultaneous perceptions are due to the fact that FlyerTalk has thousands of users... each with different opinions. You've correctly identified both camps. IMO, if United actually enforced the carry-on policy consistently, the boarding order thread wouldn't exist.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
The size of the space under the seat is actually a few inches larger than the maximum size for a personal item on many planes. I generally travel with a M/L backpack (depending on how much is packed in it) and a small purse. My backpack is larger than the dimensions of the a personal item, and besides, my purse is my personal item. I have no qualms about putting my backpack in the overhead, despite the fact that I could probably stuff it and my purse under the seat. Why should I be punished for packing light? Should I go out and buy a larger bag, which would take up more space in the overhead just so people will think I 'deserve' to use that space?

This is all kind of off-topic though, I see nothing wrong in OP's behavior of asking about moving luggage. Having multiple people place individual items in a space is not an efficient packing algorithm, and most the the FAs I've seen are very good about tetrising the bags up there into a better arrangement. I'm kind of amazed this FA was so unhelpful, and then to escalate all the way to the captain! Agreed that goes beyond a bad day, that is not a person who is suited to their career choice.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Collierkr
EXACTLY! You nailed it. The announcement and approach is that what can fit under the seat should go under the seat. This makes room for those who have something that CANNOT fit under the seat. So everyone should wait until end of boarding and if there is space then move that little stuff up top. JSLOAN- if we ever run into each other, drinks are on me.

How hard is that?
I store my long legs under the seat in front of me. And if there is enough space for it and I travel with a rollaboard, my smaller personal item goes there as well. But if I travel with a larger backpack as my carry on that would fill most of the space under the seat, it generally goes in the bin. If the overhead police disapproves, I can switch to a rollaboard for my next trip.
LordHamster, LASUA1K and User Name like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Sep 21, 2018 at 10:32 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:15 am

There isn't enough room in the overhead compartment for everyone to put an item there. I don't think that's a secret.
Of course there is, it just depends on the size of those items. If your item is equal or smaller to the average available space per pax, I see no reason at all why you wouldn't be entitled to use your share of the overhead capacities.
LASUA1K, notquiteaff and User Name like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by fumje
I rarely find that arguing a point with a service provider gets me what I want.

That said, from your description, it seems this FA could do with some retraining. I would think your writing in as GS (per your profile) would be enough to get someone to pay attention to it.
"Retraining" is when they are lazy and don't move the backpack. "Fired" is when they lie to the captain to try and have a passenger offloaded. Get your terminology straight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.