Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Old Sep 21, 18, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IMO the FA needs to be fired, not retrained. Having a bad day is one thing--and it should never be evident to customers, which could be a training issue--but lying and attempting to get the passenger kicked off the flight is beyond unacceptable behavior and seems to indicate attitudes/problems/character that cannot be removed by training.
ding ding ding....

Was waiting to read a post that agrees with my sentiment. So what if the passenger behind the OP never spoke up? The OP would be out on his arse. The onus shouldn't be on a fellow passenger to save them, the onus is on the flight attendant to act properly in the first place and this whole situation would have been avoided.

If the OP is a GS like his profile states UA should and will listen very deeply to what the the OP has to say. This clown flight attendant needs to be terminated asap.
roberto99, iluv2fly, pindi and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I keep my laptop bag in the overhead as I have another item under the seat - and find it incredibly rude when other passengers take it out or making a scene and start asking who's item it is as if their item is more important.
I don't want to derail the OP's topic here as I think the OP was definitely mistreated... BUT I have had people try to move my backpack as well.

I'm a minimalist 1 bag traveler. I travel everywhere be it a 1 day trip to a 3 week trip to LHR or BOM with a single 26L Goruck GR1 backpack. I've often had people try to move my backpack to accommodate their oversized carry-on.

My philosophy on the subject is why should I as an efficient passenger with only a tiny amount of onboard luggage, be forced to give up my legroom so that someone who arrives late, and has much more "stuff" than I do? Please note, I'm not saying that is the case with the OP, just sharing my experience as a "backpack" person.
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sharmaintl View Post
I placed my bag in economy and came sat at my seat.
So -- there was plenty of room for your bag, then.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
I travel with a small backpack only and it’s going above my seat!
IMO, both of these approaches are wrong.

OP: It'd be one thing if they were actually close to gate-checking your bag. You were putting the FA in the awkward social position of trying to enforce a rule that clearly isn't universally acknowledged so that you could keep from having to walk back to economy after the flight. The FA's reaction seems over the top, but I can't imagine inconveniencing another passenger just for this. I've walked my bag back to Y on numerous occasions when the overheads were full of stuff that people couldn't be bothered to put under their seat where it belongs.

Which leads to me the reply. The overhead bins are shared space. If there's still room after everyone's boarded, by all means, put your backpack up in the overhead if you want. But making use of a shared resource before your individual resource is selfishness, plain and simple. When I don't have a carry-on, and I'm not in the bulkhead, my backpack goes under the seat in front of me. Not only is it easier to access during the flight, nobody ends up with an unwanted trip to baggage claim because of me.

I don't mean to call out anyone personally -- and, admittedly, the worst offenders are the non-bulkhead passengers who put their carry-on and personal item (and, usually, shopping bag, coat, etc.) into the overhead with no regards for anyone else. But this behavior is on the same spectrum -- just not as extreme.

Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
My philosophy on the subject is why should I as an efficient passenger with only a tiny amount of onboard luggage, be forced to give up my legroom so that someone who arrives late, and has much more "stuff" than I do?
Because the airlines govern the amount of "stuff" they're allowed to bring onto the airplane. You have no idea what's in the other passengers' bags, nor whether bringing it along is important or inefficient.

That "oversized carryon" may be full of professional camera equipment that can't be checked safely, fragile gifts for a sick relative, medicine, or 440 copies of The Economist. What difference does it make? You're still being selfish by using a shared resource before your individual resource.

It's not "your legroom" in the first place. You chose to bring a bag on board. If you value the legroom to that extent, check the bag.
Catbert10 and gokeeper like this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by sharmaintl View Post
All I did was ask. This could have been a passenger in the bulkhead row with no seat to put under. I do not think at least asking was inappropriate. And I asked the FA for help to find out. And BTW, the pax did not have anything under the seat and the FA finally asked them if they could put it there when the captain decided not to deplane me. Either way, asking (without making a scene) if bags could be re-arranged in a bin if not an offense one should be deplaned for.
Nothing wrong with asking. Most FA's (thank god) are helpful, but sadly you found the bad apple that day. I've only experienced something similar once, and I was willing to stand my ground. Thankfully a few other 1K's stood up for me and between all of us, we put that jerk FA in his place. All of us elites agreed to walk off the airplane if his attitude didn't change during boarding. GA came on board and lectured the FA that he was the one potentially being removed from the flight, not us. I remember every intimate detail of that flight, and during the flight he was still confrontational and in his words a bunch of 1K's in first were all idiots for ever questioning his "perfect" knowledge of bag storage. He wanted every bag to be gate checked, regardless of size. This was on a Q400 not a 145, in case anyone is curious.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Because the airlines govern the amount of "stuff" they're allowed to bring onto the airplane. You have no idea what's in the other passengers' bags, nor whether bringing it along is important or inefficient.

That "oversized carryon" may be full of professional camera equipment that can't be checked safely, fragile gifts for a sick relative, medicine, or 440 copies of The Economist. What difference does it make? You're still being selfish by using a shared resource before your individual resource.

It's not "your legroom" in the first place. You chose to bring a bag on board. If you value the legroom to that extent, check the bag.
Let me clarify my situation to make sure we are on the same page here.

My entire luggage load equals 1 small 26L backpack. No Checked luggage, no "personal item"... just a single bag. Are you seriously suggesting that another passenger who brings much more onboard AFTER I've boarded should be able to force me to give up the legroom under my seat to accommodate their bags in the overhead? Why don't THEY just gatecheck their bag?

To be clear. I am taking DRAMATICALLY LESS than the allowable amount of carryon luggage. I'd argue that by bringing dramatically less than 99% of the passengers on the plane, I've already done my bit for king and country, and am being demonstrably MORE considerate of the "shared" resource than others.

Last edited by LordHamster; Sep 21, 18 at 9:25 am
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

My entire luggage load equals 1 small 26L backpack. No Checked luggage, no "personal item"... just a single bag. Are you seriously suggesting that another passenger who brings much more onboard AFTER I've boarded should be able to force me to give up the legroom under my seat to accommodate their bags in the overhead? Why don't THEY just gatecheck their bag?

To be clear. I am taking DRAMATICALLY LESS than the allowable amount of carryon luggage. I'd argue that by bringing dramatically less than 99% of the passengers on the plane, I've already done my bit for king and country am being demonstrably MORE considerate of the "shared" resource than others.
I don't think you are out of line at all, but the OP asking for some help is only a request, and not at all out of line either.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:22 am

To be clear. I am taking DRAMATICALLY LESS than the allowable amount of carryon luggage. I'd argue that by bringing dramatically less than 99% of the passengers on the plane, I've already done my bit for king and country am being demonstrably MORE considerate of the "shared" resource than others.
I fully agree. When I only bring one item on board, typically my brief case, I never feel bad about putting it in the overhead bin. It takes up so little space anyway.

Granted, I don't know what else the offending passenger had in the overhead but if that was his/her only item then they are under no obligation whatsoever to remove their one item and throw it on the floor... just because it fits. What the OP is asking is basically for the person with the backpack to move it to a bin in Y so he/she wouldn't have to put his/her item in Y.

None of this is to say the FA handled it well. Clearly not. They also are paid very poorly on regionals (Mesa in this case). The chances the captain would have removed the OP though? Probably less than 5%.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
I don't think you are out of line at all, but the OP asking for some help is only a request, and not at all out of line either.
Absolutely agreed 100%. The OP did things correctly and is NOT at fault here IMO. Nothing wrong with asking politely.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
The FA handled this situation very poorly, and it is absurd to try to to deplane you in this scenario.

That being said, you were being disruptive and need to acknowledge that. You are, according to you profile, a GS which means you know that the closed bins means they were full. But you did not care. So you asked if they were full, and the FA told you they were. You still did not care and proceeded to try to get other passengers to accommodate your needs.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from? You do not own the plane. This is full blown DYKWIA behavior.
LASUA1K and MichaelBaku like this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you seriously suggesting that another passenger who brings much more onboard AFTER I've boarded should be able to force me to give up the legroom under my seat to accommodate their bags in the overhead?
No, I'm suggesting that if it fits under the seat in front of you, you shouldn't have put it in the overhead until (and unless) everyone else had boarded first.

To be clear. I am taking DRAMATICALLY LESS than the allowable amount of carryon luggage.
I understand that, and I stand by my point. Your "primary storage area is the space underneath the seat in front of you," to quote (paraphrase?) the announcement -- the exact same announcement OP was trying to get the FA to enforce.

There isn't enough room in the overhead compartment for everyone to put an item there. I don't think that's a secret. UA sets the maximum size, and while I do agree that some people abuse the space -- and, I did call them out as worse offenders -- you are still taking up shared space for something where it's not necessary.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:27 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
The FA handled this situation very poorly, and it is absurd to try to to deplane you in this scenario.

That being said, you were being disruptive and need to acknowledge that. You are, according to you profile, a GS which means you know that the closed bins means they were full. But you did not care. So you asked if they were full, and the FA told you they were. You still did not care and proceeded to try to get other passengers to accommodate your needs.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from? You do not own the plane. This is full blown DYKWIA behavior.

Sorry, but closed bins do not always mean full. I have seen people put a bag or two in and then close the bin, even though there was still room for another bag to be stowed.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I fully agree. When I only bring one item on board, typically my brief case, I never feel bad about putting it in the overhead bin. It takes up so little space anyway.

Granted, I don't know what else the offending passenger had in the overhead but if that was his/her only item then they are under no obligation whatsoever to remove their one item and throw it on the floor... just because it fits. What the OP is asking is basically for the person with the backpack to move it to a bin in Y so he/she wouldn't have to put his/her item in Y.

None of this is to say the FA handled it well. Clearly not. They also are paid very poorly on regionals (Mesa in this case). The chances the captain would have removed the OP though? Probably less than 5%.
I disagree with the last statement.

Once the FA asks captain to have a passenger removed, the chances of this happening are close to 100%. It was only intervention by other FC passengers that saved the OP.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by LASUA1K View Post
So the passenger with the small backpack should move the bag to accommodate you? Did you know if the passenger whth the backpack had another bag? I travel with a small backpack only and itís going above my seat!
While that is all nice and dandy and you are entitled to put ONE bag up top, please consider your fellow passengers. This myopic and greedy view is why we have problems in the first place.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Having a bad day is one thing--and it should never be evident to customers, which could be a training issue--but lying and attempting to get the passenger kicked off the flight is beyond unacceptable behavior and seems to indicate attitudes/problems/character that cannot be removed by training.
Abusive FAs are sadly not rare, and certainly not confined to UA. I had a DL regional FA try to evict me from an aircraft for saying good morning (long story), and recently encountered a couple of JetBlue FAs so in-your-face insolent and neglectful, it was like they were paid to sabotage the flight.

The passenger has very little currency in these situations, and the airline will typically side with the employee, so your only real option is to minimize contact, keep your head down, and survive the trip... then write in. It is because most of these incidents of abuse go unreported that bad-apple employees thrive without fear.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No, I'm suggesting that if it fits under the seat in front of you, you shouldn't have put it in the overhead until (and unless) everyone else had boarded first.

I understand that, and I stand by my point. Your "primary storage area is the space underneath the seat in front of you," to quote (paraphrase?) the announcement -- the exact same announcement OP was trying to get the FA to enforce.

There isn't enough room in the overhead compartment for everyone to put an item there. I don't think that's a secret. UA sets the maximum size, and while I do agree that some people abuse the space -- and, I did call them out as worse offenders -- you are still taking up shared space for something where it's not necessary.
EXACTLY! You nailed it. The announcement and approach is that what can fit under the seat should go under the seat. This makes room for those who have something that CANNOT fit under the seat. So everyone should wait until end of boarding and if there is space then move that little stuff up top. JSLOAN- if we ever run into each other, drinks are on me.

How hard is that?
jsloan, coolbeans202 and gokeeper like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: