Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Old Sep 22, 18, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino View Post
Agreed. I can see myself having this type of reaction if someone had taken pictures/video up my daughter's skirt or something, but I suspect Mr. Tough Guy's motive was erasing evidence of his friend's inadequate at best, or similarly criminal, at worst, behaviour.

The conversation here reminds me of the difference in attitudes regarding the "towel game" at beach resorts, with people arguing from different premise.

In both situation, there is limited resource that needs to be shared. Guy with a backpack only should be able to put it in the bin above. The people who plonk a towel on a beach chair at 6am, only to return after lunch, expecting the chair to remain unoccupied are entitled jerks.

A couple of years ago, at SVO, a Russian woman who may have been an 8 ten years prior, boarded the plane last and had an absolute fit when discovering that the bin above her seat was full. She unceremoniously and borderline violently threw the offending luggage on the floor. The FA did nothing.
Originally Posted by chavala View Post

I just can’t let this one slide.
What are you saying? If she were younger and still pretty it would have been OK?
Maybe we could do without the sexist embellishments, especially in this day and age.
I don't think you are interpreting it correctly. If you read the poster said the FA did NOTHING. That means she got away with it. So it was OK.
So the poster was absolutely NOT saying what you are saying, that if she were younger and still pretty it would have been OK. Because it was OK, and she is now ten years older from when she was an 8.
Old Sep 22, 18, 2:50 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
I completely missed his reference when I first read that post, so I went back an re-read it carefully after I saw your post.
And yes, the inference that one would draw from the poster is that if she had been a "10", then it might have been OK.
Pretty comical.
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Not only that, but he would have leapt to his feet to help her ...then tell her to SMILE
Only just now saw these comments. Drawing that inference does betray the harbouring of certain presumptions about me, and men in general. How sexist!
Old Sep 22, 18, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver | Global Entry | HH Gold
Originally Posted by sharmaintl View Post
I personally see no difference in the professionalism of UX vs mainline UA. They both have people all over the spectrum. The UX FAs do tend to be less experienced and hence 'unpolished' but usually they are usually less stuck up
One of my favorite flights I ever took was on UA flight E175 from STL to DEN best FA I have had period.
jburns513 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 18, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Why did you want the other person to put their carry on under the seat so yours could go overhead. Why didn't you put yours under the seat?
Old Sep 22, 18, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
No. That's fine. The bag only has to be under the seat during taxi, takeoff, and landing. Throughout the flight you only have to keep it clear of the aisle.
I do this all the time as well (pull my briefcase toward me after take-off, giving me back the room for my feet). It's also easier to access the contents when my tray is open.

I'm almost always in an aisle seat, so when I get up (either because I need to or the window seat occupant wants to get out), I make a point to slide the bag back under the seat in front of me so my row mate doesn't have to step (or trip) over it.
Old Sep 22, 18, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I confess that in the window seat, I always just start with my bag behind my feet rather than in front of them. Maybe 5% of the time an especially vigilant FA will ask me to slide it forward and I'll comply, but most of the time I never lose any legroom to it.
Old Sep 23, 18, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimmc66 View Post
On the rare occasion I need to have some kind of discussion with an FA about a problem, I turn my iPhone on to audio "record" and leave it in my pocket to protect myself. Advice I give to everyone these days.
Be a bit careful before you play a recoding for law enforcement or share it with others. In 12 states (including SFO, ORD and other places), 2-party consent is required to record a conversation. It may not help your case.
Old Sep 23, 18, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by johnden View Post
Be a bit careful before you play a recoding for law enforcement or share it with others. In 12 states (including SFO, ORD and other places), 2-party consent is required to record a conversation. It may not help your case.
I totally understand your warning but sometimes you just have to protect yourself when the "law" is not around and be prepared to take the consequences. That said, there is not a chance I would remember to record the conversation in the slightest. Having had an incident in the past of a power tripping FA I would like to have been recording that. If nothing else I would have transcribed it and presented it as my "perfect recall" of the conversation.

As for the backpack thing, I fly SOU (Southampton) - MAN (Manchester) on a Flybe twin prop and overhead space is at a premium. I usually board first to get overhead space - until one day I had an epiphany and stuck the backpack under the seat in front of me (having thought it would never fit and would severely cramp my legroom for possibly the entire 55 minute flight (!) but lo and behold it all worked well with moving it behind my legs during the flight and it was quite nice to rest my legs on it too. Sometimes the bleedin' obvious is staring you in the face. And the relief of not having to worry about overhead space was incredible, I always had a feeling that I was more stressed about it than I should be and this proved it. It really was such a relief that I am actually not stressing about any aspect of my flights there now. Well apart from MAN airport that is.
AeRoSpaceman and porciuscato like this.
Old Sep 23, 18, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
I’ve read enough stories about rogue FAs that I always assume that they are itching for an excuse to claim that I behaved “disruptively” as a reason to remove me from the plane. So if one of them tells me “no” it ends right there; even if I am fully in the right I will not argue the point or quote their airline’s rulebook at them. I will, however, rearrarange the contents of overhead bins (obviously being careful of people’s property) if it will enable my bag to fit.
Originally Posted by Meola10 View Post
Better watch who you are recording. I had an instance with someone who recorded a friend of mine. I chased the guy down and would have shoved the phone down the guy’s throat if he didnt delete the video on the spot. Which he did do and walked away.
Did you remember to make sure that after deleting it from his camera roll, he also deleted it from the “Recently Deleted” album that it would have been moved to?

Last edited by AlastairGordon; Sep 23, 18 at 2:31 pm
Old Sep 24, 18, 3:28 am

When I boarded UA6150 yesterday, all the first class overhead bins were closed. I was in 2C. I asked the flight attendant if they were full. He said yes. I proceeded to open the bin anyways to see if my small carry-on could be fitted in by adjusting bags. I saw a small backpack and asked the FA if he could ask a passenger to place it under the seat in front of them as is announced on United flights. This made the FA very upset. He started speaking in a vey loud voice that he could not do that as it would take away leg room from the passenger and make them uncomfortable. I said that this was United policy to put small bags under the seat, and that way I could get my bag in (I never personally touched the backpack - I would never touch someone else's bag). He got even more upset and started repeatedly saying very loudly 'what do you want me to do, the bins are full'. I placed my bag in economy and came sat at my seat. After a few minutes, the FA had stopped the boarding and has brought the captain to my seat. He told the captain that I was being disruptive and was escalating the situation and needed to be removed from the flight. Fortunately for me a passenger sitting behind me stepped in and said that the FA was the one abusing me and I had not even spoken a word since he became upset and started screaming at me. The Captain apologized, said there must have been some miscommunication and left. The FA then suddenly moved the backpack and made space for my bag, which he should have done in the 1st place.

I got to stay on the flight because of a helpful passenger. The Captain may have had no option but to deplane me on the false word of the FA that I was disrupting the flight.

This is unacceptable behavior and as a long term UA customer, I am shocked to see such lack of respect and abusive behavior one hears of, in person. I have filed a complaint with the ground supervisor at the destination airport and on united.com (awaiting response). Not really sure how to far to push this. I am thinking of writing a blog post about this on my blog on BoardingArea and even going to the press. I would have let the verbal abuse go, but asking the captain to remove me was crossing the line.
Thank you for sharing your story. I have stopped flying United and your story re-enforced my decision.

Last edited by Mama; Sep 24, 18 at 3:41 am
Old Sep 24, 18, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by AlastairGordon View Post
I’ve read enough stories about rogue FAs that I always assume that they are itching for an excuse to claim that I behaved “disruptively” as a reason to remove me from the plane. So if one of them tells me “no” it ends right there; even if I am fully in the right I will not argue the point or quote their airline’s rulebook at them. I will, however, rearrarange the contents of overhead bins (obviously being careful of people’s property) if it will enable my bag to fit.

Did you remember to make sure that after deleting it from his camera roll, he also deleted it from the “Recently Deleted” album that it would have been moved to?
OMG. What has the world of flying United become to?..wow...just wow...I am speechless.
Old Sep 24, 18, 6:43 am

When I boarded UA6150 yesterday, all the first class overhead bins were closed. I was in 2C. I asked the flight attendant if they were full. He said yes. I proceeded to open the bin anyways to see if my small carry-on could be fitted in by adjusting bags. I saw a small backpack and asked the FA if he could ask a passenger to place it under the seat in front of them as is announced on United flights. This made the FA very upset. He started speaking in a vey loud voice that he could not do that as it would take away leg room from the passenger and make them uncomfortable. I said that this was United policy to put small bags under the seat, and that way I could get my bag in (I never personally touched the backpack - I would never touch someone else's bag). He got even more upset and started repeatedly saying very loudly 'what do you want me to do, the bins are full'. I placed my bag in economy and came sat at my seat. After a few minutes, the FA had stopped the boarding and has brought the captain to my seat. He told the captain that I was being disruptive and was escalating the situation and needed to be removed from the flight. Fortunately for me a passenger sitting behind me stepped in and said that the FA was the one abusing me and I had not even spoken a word since he became upset and started screaming at me. The Captain apologized, said there must have been some miscommunication and left. The FA then suddenly moved the backpack and made space for my bag, which he should have done in the 1st place.

I got to stay on the flight because of a helpful passenger. The Captain may have had no option but to deplane me on the false word of the FA that I was disrupting the flight.

This is unacceptable behavior and as a long term UA customer, I am shocked to see such lack of respect and abusive behavior one hears of, in person. I have filed a complaint with the ground supervisor at the destination airport and on united.com (awaiting response). Not really sure how to far to push this. I am thinking of writing a blog post about this on my blog on BoardingArea and even going to the press. I would have let the verbal abuse go, but asking the captain to remove me was crossing the line.
Be glad you weren’t smacked in the face and suffered a broken nose... Fly the friendly skies.
sharmaintl likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: