Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Almond / Soy / Oat Milk Availability on UA

Old Sep 20, 18, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Hello UA Friends - Flying UA J to SIN (via NRT and NH) on Saturday. Will be my first time trying the new Polaris in-flight and lounge product. Curious to know if UA offers almond / soy / oat / any other dairy alternatives either in the air or on the ground. Many thanks!
Old Sep 20, 18, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Polaris lounge in SFO had both Soy and Almond milk this morning.
Old Sep 20, 18, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Excellent. Thanks very much!
Old Sep 20, 18, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA MP
Don't recall seeing them. Were they on the coffee/tea table in the buffet area on the second floor?
Old Sep 20, 18, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by erickliu View Post
Don't recall seeing them. Were they on the coffee/tea table in the buffet area on the second floor?
Yes. There were 4 jugs, each with a label on them. Half+Half, Milk, Soy Milk, Almond Milk. On the coffee table as you say, at about 10am (no idea if they change that table up during the day).

I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't needed to look at the 3 others before I got to the standard milk...
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 20, 18, 7:08 pm

I flew a breakfast flight in December where they had cereal that I wasn't interested in until I saw that they had a "non-dairy" milk carton (whatever type it was was written much smaller and I didn't see, probably oat). It was regular F on on RJ out of IAH, not Polaris.
Old Sep 22, 18, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

PSA for those still following this thread:

(1) Confirmed that SFO Polaris Lounge has almond and soy milk at the coffee station (I was there in the morning).
(2) On the other hand, no dairy alternatives are available in flight (at least based on UA837 SFO-NRT in J).

Last edited by capedreamer; Sep 23, 18 at 9:25 am Reason: Flight number typo
Old Sep 22, 18, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer View Post
PSA for those still following this thread:

(1) Confirmed that SFO Polaris Lounge has almond and soy milk at the coffee station (I was there in the morning).
(2) On the other hand, no dairy alternatives are available in flight (at least based on UA837 SFO-NRT in J).
I don’t believe UA ever offered dairy alternatives onboard. The only way this might be possible is if you ordered a special meal (vegan).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 18 at 10:08 am Reason: updated quote based on OP's edit
Old Sep 22, 18, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by capedreamer View Post
... (at least based on UA837 SFO-NRT in J).
Although I wouldn't expect UA to cater non-dairy "milk" onboard either, I would expect it even less on Asian carriers, including NH. Not even soymilk, because Western soymilk that you put into coffee is not the same soymilk that Asians consume (it essentially turns into tofu in coffee because it is not processed with additives to make it act like milk).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 18 at 10:06 am Reason: quote update to reflect OP edit
Old Sep 22, 18, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
I donít believe UA ever offered dairy alternatives onboard. The only way this might be possible is if you ordered a special meal (vegan).
Or do what I do to get my Sprite Zero fix on the plane - steal it from the Polaris lounge before you board

That said, I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about doing that easily with milk... It's a little easier with a soda can.
Old Sep 22, 18, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
I donít believe UA ever offered dairy alternatives onboard. The only way this might be possible is if you ordered a special meal (vegan).
Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
Although I wouldn't expect UA to cater non-dairy "milk" onboard either, I would expect it even less on Asian carriers, including NH. Not even soymilk, because Western soymilk that you put into coffee is not the same soymilk that Asians consume (it essentially turns into tofu in coffee because it is not processed with additives to make it act like milk).
I guess I'm spoiled as a regular flyer of AC, which offers almond milk in J.

Or do what I do to get my Sprite Zero fix on the plane - steal it from the Polaris lounge before you board

That said, I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about doing that easily with milk... It's a little easier with a soda can.
​​​​​​​
Ha...trying to load the lounge milk into an empty bottle might be a bit conspicuous... :P
Old Sep 22, 18, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
United doesn't even stock non-fat milk. I'd be very surprised if they ever considered plant-based milks.
Old Sep 23, 18, 6:18 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I don't drink milk and think it would be great if non-dairy alternatives were available in-flight. I would even be open to the cereal breakfast option, which I always decline. I've tried in the past bringing a small 8 oz. container with me, but it won't get past TSA. I can claim it as medicinal, but then they require you open the container to test the contents (which obviously defeats the purpose).

Has anyone ever seen travel size non-dairy milk for sale in an airside shop? In EWR, the OTC shops have all kinds of odd food items, but I don't recall ever seeing this.
Old Sep 23, 18, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Life time Titanium Elite (whateverthat is)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
I don't drink milk and think it would be great if non-dairy alternatives were available in-flight. I would even be open to the cereal breakfast option, which I always decline. I've tried in the past bringing a small 8 oz. container with me, but it won't get past TSA. I can claim it as medicinal, but then they require you open the container to test the contents (which obviously defeats the purpose).

Has anyone ever seen travel size non-dairy milk for sale in an airside shop? In EWR, the OTC shops have all kinds of odd food items, but I don't recall ever seeing this.
I keep In my checked bags a couple of S/S steel thermal containers. Their primary use is for backpacking but the smaller sizes could be used for your need.
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Sep 23, 18, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
I've seen almond and soy milk sold airside at SFO and YYZ (that come to mind).

Search this Thread