Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why doesn’t UA have meal pre-order?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, available on Polaris flights and most domestic flights over 2,000 miles
For more specifics, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html
Thank you!

And I agree with the earlier poster... all United meals are "special". (They haven't been too bad for me actually.)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I want UA to copy delta-- pre-select meals

I really want UA to copy Delta on this one. Pre-selecting meals would be awesome. Nothing like being a 1k on a $10k TPAC fare and not getting my first choice meal.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...utes-globally/
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:28 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Silly FlyerTalker! United only copies Delta’s cutbacks, I mean “enhancements”.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jp12687
I really want UA to copy Delta on this one. Pre-selecting meals would be awesome. Nothing like being a 1k on a $10k TPAC fare and not getting my first choice meal.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...utes-globally/
Unless you fly a GS-heavy route, 1K gets his/her first choice meals every time. I have been rarely asked to provide a second choice.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu

Unless you fly a GS-heavy route, 1K gets his/her first choice meals every time. I have been rarely asked to provide a second choice.
twice in the last year as a 1k once on EWR-HKG and once on AMS-EWR I did not get my first choice.

I am asked every single time and once on EWR-SFO up front I got attitude for saying I could only eat one meal (allergic to mushrooms and don't eat fish).

Would be great if you can pre-select.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kmxu

That is only if they actually go by priority. I've been on several flights (domestic and intl) where they go front to back (unless everyone happened to have been seated in priority order)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
That is only if they actually go by priority. I've been on several flights (domestic and intl) where they go front to back (unless everyone happened to have been seated in priority order)
they often do that and then prioritize in the galley. Either way is fine IMO. I have always gotten my choice in 2017 and 2018 and only once I needed to remind them there was something called 'meal priority' which they neither disputed it existed nor made any fuss about.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jp12687
I really want UA to copy Delta on this one.
Delta is far from the leader on this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
DL expands preflight meal seletion - Hello UA?

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/m...d-of-time.html

Why are we not keeping up the the Jones'es of Atlanta?

Delta Air Lines has decided to expand its pre-select meal program to include first-class passengers on all domestic mainline flights. In addition, the option is available for passengers on select flights between the United States and Canada, the Caribbean and Latin America. You will be out of luck when it comes to selecting your meal if you’re flying first class using a Delta Connection flight.

Meal selection isn’t new to Delta customers. However, the option had only been available to passengers flying on routes with Delta One cabins up until now. The number of daily flights that are eligible for Delta pre-select meals now stands at more than 1,000. Only 200 flights per day were eligible at the end of 2018.

How does meal selection work for Delta’s first-class passengers? You will receive an email from Delta three days before your flight is scheduled to depart. This email will allow you to select the meal option you want. The email address that is used in your passenger record or Delta SkyMiles account will be used for meal selection.

Delta has made a big deal about its attempts to expand its menu in recent months. The airline has also brought in a number of celebrity chefs to try to curate palatable menu options. That includes Linton Hopkins, Danny Meyer, Jereme Leung, Norio Ueno, Kwon Woo-Joong, Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo. Delta now brags that it offers goodies like chicken pot pie, braised meatballs and garlic bread topped with whipped ricotta. Of course, Delta’s wine initiative might be of more interest to some passengers. Delta has invested a lot in offering a curated collection of wines that are intended to be paired with its dishes. Delta even runs a Sky Sommelier program that teaches flight attendants how to amplify the wine experience for passengers.

Delta’s extended culinary efforts are just part of its plan for spending billions of dollars in upgrades to the passenger experience. Some of the additions include free mobile messaging, free in-flight entertainment, extended Wi-Fi and more and an update to their TUMI amenity kits in late 2017. Of course, almost all of the perks are being developed exclusively for first-class passengers flying with Delta.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:13 am

I don’t care so much about meal selection, rather having the option to decline a meal as so many passengers seem to do on the short overnight trans atlantic flights. That should keep the amount of wasted food down which is already prevalent on flights.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by elitefreak
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/m...d-of-time.html

Why are we not keeping up the the Jones'es of Atlanta?

Delta Air Lines has decided to expand its pre-select meal program to include first-class passengers on all domestic mainline flights. In addition, the option is available for passengers on select flights between the United States and Canada, the Caribbean and Latin America. You will be out of luck when it comes to selecting your meal if you’re flying first class using a Delta Connection flight.

Meal selection isn’t new to Delta customers. However, the option had only been available to passengers flying on routes with Delta One cabins up until now. The number of daily flights that are eligible for Delta pre-select meals now stands at more than 1,000. Only 200 flights per day were eligible at the end of 2018.

How does meal selection work for Delta’s first-class passengers? You will receive an email from Delta three days before your flight is scheduled to depart. This email will allow you to select the meal option you want. The email address that is used in your passenger record or Delta SkyMiles account will be used for meal selection.

Delta has made a big deal about its attempts to expand its menu in recent months. The airline has also brought in a number of celebrity chefs to try to curate palatable menu options. That includes Linton Hopkins, Danny Meyer, Jereme Leung, Norio Ueno, Kwon Woo-Joong, Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo. Delta now brags that it offers goodies like chicken pot pie, braised meatballs and garlic bread topped with whipped ricotta. Of course, Delta’s wine initiative might be of more interest to some passengers. Delta has invested a lot in offering a curated collection of wines that are intended to be paired with its dishes. Delta even runs a Sky Sommelier program that teaches flight attendants how to amplify the wine experience for passengers.

Delta’s extended culinary efforts are just part of its plan for spending billions of dollars in upgrades to the passenger experience. Some of the additions include free mobile messaging, free in-flight entertainment, extended Wi-Fi and more and an update to their TUMI amenity kits in late 2017. Of course, almost all of the perks are being developed exclusively for first-class passengers flying with Delta.
Did you cut and paste this from Delta’s marketing department or actually spend the time to draft this drivel?
HNLbasedFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by airzim
Did you cut and paste this from Delta’s marketing department or actually spend the time to draft this drivel?
Does it matter?

UA's top tier customers have been asking for this for quite some time now. UA's Employees (read: FAs) have as well. Its been "coming soon" for as long as I've been flying (both as a customer and later, an employee).

Having said that, Catering Ops/Catering Contractors still can't seem to get the right wines onboard consistently, so maybe it's for the best that they don't promise a meal until they can figure out a system that works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.