Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why doesn’t UA have meal pre-order?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
I like the AA system and it has always worked for me.

But, it is not a service diferentiator for me.

I would not consider flying or not flying UA because I could or could not order a specific meal.

That may answer the "why" question because UA may believe that there are lots of people like me out there.
AA system has always worked for me, and while I can take or leave it, MsHalls120 prefers AA now if we have a choice.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA MP
occasionally catered items change last minute, thus there would be no point in having pax pre-selecting meals. In fact this could be a liability
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I would have thought UA has this by now. AA does and it works great for me so far. Their BOB is very good and fresh food. Their chicken wrap is way better better than anything served up front plus I get it free as an EXP in Y.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I long for the day I have a meal in first on a UA flight, let alone pre selection. Most of my flights are around 2hrs, like DEN-ORD for example. Used to be a meal, period, now a snack.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I long for the day I have a meal in first on a UA flight, let alone pre selection. Most of my flights are around 2hrs, like DEN-ORD for example. Used to be a meal, period, now a snack.
Same for those of us in ORD, and I assume IAH. And for those flights that are 4 hrs or less, I'd rather eat before or after, or buy something in the airport to eat on board. Much better quality. And a pretty good reason that pre-order on domestic flights aren't something a lot of people value. A pre-order function would probably work well on transcons though.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by erickliu
occasionally catered items change last minute, thus there would be no point in having pax pre-selecting meals. In fact this could be a liability
I'd even be with something like choosing between the hot meal vs the cold salad/cheese plate option (which seems to me like a lesser meal than you can get in Economy BoB).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The AA system has always worked for me, as well. I'm always sure I get the non-pasta slop instead of the pasta slop. What AA does that UA really should copy, though, is allow the selection of special meals when the flight distance is great enough. AA has some pretty good special meals, like Asian spicy vegetarian, which are really quite good.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
UA seems to barely be able to keep their kitchens open at all. It would be amusing to see the disaster that will ensue when they start allowing pre-orders.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by halls120

AA system has always worked for me, and while I can take or leave it, MsHalls120 prefers AA now if we have a choice.
Mrs. elbejt2 prefers it as well.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Catbert10
The AA system has always worked for me, as well. I'm always sure I get the non-pasta slop instead of the pasta slop. What AA does that UA really should copy, though, is allow the selection of special meals when the flight distance is great enough. AA has some pretty good special meals, like Asian spicy vegetarian, which are really quite good.
I love the AA Hindu meals. Can we order special meals at all on UA?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess all UA management sees is the cost of implementing this + all the compensation they have to hand out for screwups for not much in return. So, why do it?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:58 pm

I think it's been discussed before, but...

I'd much rather have a great SDC and no pre-order than have a pre-order option but crappy SDC. This is the trade I'm willing to make. (Of course, if you can have it both ways, even better, but if I had to choose one...)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by SF1K
So with the new boarding process and once again feeling the shaft as a 2MM who often buys domestic F, I’m wondering why UA doesn’t have pre-order of meals in Domestic F?

I know that AA has it. Don’t think DL does and AS spotty.

Reason I ask is it seems they start need to somehow improve the Domestic F experience for non-GS/1K passengers. Last flight I had to take a coach meal because the only choice left was the hamburger and I don’t eat beef. Now I’ll also get to board with with the masses since 1K and GS get to board first. It’s really making me want to fly anyone except UA on domestic F routes. As I get treated better as non-status then i do as a 2MM on UA.
I'm 2.5mm, 1K and frequent paid first and I love the new plan. Your profile says you're 1K so why would you object?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by bworrell
Can we order special meals at all on UA?
No need to pre-order; ALL meals on UA are "special"!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bworrell
I love the AA Hindu meals. Can we order special meals at all on UA?
Yes, available on Polaris flights and most domestic flights over 2,000 miles
For more specifics, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.