Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to operate 6 TATL markets with 78J from EWR; increase GUM-Japan flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to operate 6 TATL markets with 78J from EWR; increase GUM-Japan flying

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by hirohito888
To avoid backtracking, one can always fly via *A hub in LIS which provides lots of Spanish connections: MAD, BCN, LCG, ALC, AGP, BIO, SVQ (and probably a few others I missed). Granted, you'll be flying TP but I would say *A still has somewhat good coverage on the Iberian peninsula after the demise of JK.
I usually do fly into Frankfurt or Zurich as they have hotels right in the airport if I need it, but the real reason I do it is because I need to fly on United Airlines metal for them to count my spend toward Global Services qualification. BCN and MAD are fine as I can take a nonstop UA flight their from EWR, as I can to LIS. But my friend lives about an hour from Malaga by taxi so apart from a connecting flight I then have an hour on the interstate of the 'Costa del Crime"
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by adambrau
Star Alliance is weak in Spain and it is really much nicer to fly nonstop their rather than backtracking from Frankfurt, Geneva, Munich or Zurich. I have a friend who lives near Malaga and that is always a painful trip on Star Alliance.

Tell me about it. I have a close friend in Valencia, always a pain to get there. Ever since Spanair went belly up, it has been hard to get to different cities within Spain. I just recently had to fly TAP from TLS to LIS to VLC which was odd.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Announced internally UA will operate 6 TATL routes from EWR using the 78J beginning summer 2019 routes to be loaded in the coming weeks. Also with improvements Guam will see additional Japan flying beginning April 2019.
Is it already known which 6 TATL markets get the 78J?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hirohito888
To avoid backtracking, one can always fly
Avoid backtracking? Good sir, please turn in your FT card. Such words are forbidden on this site!

seanp7 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
I would love it on EWR-MAN. The 1 a day 757-200 is nice and always full. I bet they could fill a larger plane.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:40 pm

Has the announcement been made?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jpezaris
Has the announcement been made?
I haven't seen anything. I visit FT plenty of times a day, so I would be ashamed if I missed it I'm not sure this is something that will get publicly announced - to most folks flying internationally (i.e. the non-FT crowd), it won't make much of a difference.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I haven't seen anything.
OP is a very reliable source
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salisboss
I would love it on EWR-MAN. The 1 a day 757-200 is nice and always full. I bet they could fill a larger plane.
Maybe MAN will be upgraded to one of the freed-up (767) widebodies.
salisboss likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
OP is a very reliable source
Ain't that the truth! Can't get more reliable.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by williambruno1975

ever since AA thought we’re dumb enough to buy their alternative fact about TLV being a major loss leader
AA would love to serve TLV. Only reason they do not is due to an age old dispute over money. American owes TLV many millions from breaking lease contracts. US AIrways did great at TLV, cancelled the route after the merger. You think Doug Parker likes paying his passed due bills?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Maybe MAN will be upgraded to one of the freed-up (767) widebodies.
I had a lengthy conversation with a FA who is routinely on the route and he said that they had been told of a 767 but it had never happened. Hopefully this leads to that.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by aero0729
AA would love to serve TLV. Only reason they do not is due to an age old dispute over money. American owes TLV many millions from breaking lease contracts. US AIrways did great at TLV, cancelled the route after the merger. You think Doug Parker likes paying his passed due bills?
To show how things cascade through mergers and aquisitions, I believe it was TWA that owed the money which was never paid.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The 6 TATL markets will be for the peak summer season, and those schedules are a good ways out from finalizing. Anything in there now is mostly a placeholder, especially as regards equipment type on existing routes.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My guesses would be:

-FRA
-BRU
-CDG
-TLV
-DUB
-BCN

The first 3 I picked because UA tends to run 772s ex-EWR on those routes, especially during the summer. TLV is within range, and I could see them adding a slight upgauge from sCO 772 (although it would decrease J seats - so who knows). The last two I picked because UA used HD 772s this summer, and maybe they think there is perhaps enough room to drive a little more revenue from upfront despite sacrificing ~50 seats in the back.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think UA uses any of these on EWR-LHR.
Not to brag...but I guessed all 6 correct. Just announced this morning.

cesco.g, EmailKid, EWR764 and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.