Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to operate 6 TATL markets with 78J from EWR; increase GUM-Japan flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to operate 6 TATL markets with 78J from EWR; increase GUM-Japan flying

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The catch is that one must use EWR. Perhaps if they offer a compensation package........
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I'd be interested in what new GUM-Japan flying there is. Over time we've lost GUM-OKA/KIJ/OKJ/SDJ/HIJ, and seen GUM-NRT go to all 737. I'd bet we might see a return of the 777HD to GUM-NRT, but I'd also love to see UA add in SPN-NRT (especially since DL pulled out), ROR-NRT (ditto), SPN-KIX as well. Some form of triangle route GUM-NRT-SPN-NRT-GUM might be best.
772 returns to GUM-NRT next month. 772 2x/day, 738 1x.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The catch is that one must use EWR. Perhaps if they offer a compensation package........
because IAD C/D is such a breath of fresh air ? or ORD T-1 is barely more modern than the dinosaur skeleton anchoring it ?
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by williambruno1975

I should’ve phrased it better - I’m not suggesting the crazy upgauge all 5x EWR LHR to 78X

but say the most prime time departure of 1900 EWR - 0710 LHR may benefit from it

but that’s also before I knew of the super high J 763 in the pipeline.
Yeah, the high-J 763 seems tailor-made for LHR. My real argument against seeing a 78J at LHR is just because if they wanted that kind of capacity on any of the LHR frequencies they would already have stuck a 777 on it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I think the 6 routes will be DUB/BCN/FCO/CDG(2x)/LIS. I'm thinking routes with a lot of tourist traffic and not necessarily too much J traffic, as those routes would warrant a 772 or 77W for the extra J seats.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Most of the “obvious” routes are 764 this summer (or today), including 4x LHR with the other 752.

I’m going to guess LHR, BRU, CDG, TLV, FRA, MUC. But with TLV losing 77W, and the two daily being 78J and Polaris/PE 772. Other equipment adjustments may need to be made, maybe in conjunction with the JV partners (LH) for NYC (that’s both EWR and JFK).

UA must have put the 772HD on DUB and MAD/BCN(?) this year for a reason, and I’m guessing non high yielding pax. I may be totally wrong but I don’t see them getting 78J (though 2 weeks ago my 772HD from HNL-SFO was swapped last minute to 77W).

I went to Barcelona in August on the 777HD with my SO, and while it was my first time in that layout the IPTE seats are incredibly comfortable. I slept at least 5 hours each way. 8-across in the C cabin is pretty atrocious otherwise, and while I bought a ticket for around $3k I upgraded my SO for about $1k. I think with a better premium cabin and PE UA will sell more seats.

I have nothing to back this up on, but I think maybe the 777HD to MAD and BCN were for the uptick in tourists each summer, perhaps UA didn't have the right fleet in summer 2018 to cover the Atlantic or they can easily sell 300 seats a day from EWR to BCN/MAD. I think the 78J's would be better to Spain because they still have a huge economy section and only fly once a day from NYC and IAD. Whereas EWR-LHR is 5 flights daily. I guess we'll soon see!

Star Alliance is weak in Spain and it is really much nicer to fly nonstop their rather than backtracking from Frankfurt, Geneva, Munich or Zurich. I have a friend who lives near Malaga and that is always a painful trip on Star Alliance.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambrau
I have nothing to back this up on, but I think maybe the 777HD to MAD and BCN were for the uptick in tourists each summer.
Partly that, and partly an overall allocation issue with aircraft as they were trying to retrofit the other 772s and 763s at the same time.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, the high-J 763 seems tailor-made for LHR. My real argument against seeing a 78J at LHR is just because if they wanted that kind of capacity on any of the LHR frequencies they would already have stuck a 777 on it.
This is precisely why I don't think EWR-LHR is going to see any 78J flying - they could have easily put more capacity using the existing fleet. Instead, they chose to go with incremental upgauge (switching out most 763s to 764s). Maybe a different story once they put 4x low-density 763s...then I would run a 78J for the last frequency. I'm not convinced there is enough premium J to fill the front on the morning EWR-LHR frequency (although someone can correct me if I'm wrong).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BearX220
I dunno. The 757 on LHR is glaringly non-competitive.
EWR-LHR is only 757 on 1-2 frequencies for a few weeks at a time in the off-season. All summer it was 3-4x 764 and 1-2x 763. Only the daytime IAD-LHR and early LHR-IAD have a 757 on a year-round basis, and is the only daylight westbound flight in the DC area.

Originally Posted by williambruno1975
I’ll be contrarian and say EWR TLV for 787-10 has little chance, not because of the range, but because of the relatively low J count of *just* 44

sounds gigantic compared to a 20J on AA reconfigured 788, but not all that compared to UA 60J 77W 48J 789 50J 77E

ever since AA thought we’re dumb enough to buy their alternative fact about TLV being a major loss leader, the actions of both DL and UA has shown time and again why they have strong confidence in TLV. 44J for a market bursting at the seams just feels to me like leaving money on the table.

On separate note, I concur with usbusinesstraveler that the super low J 772HD routes like DUB BCN just don’t seem to be a natural fit to go 180° and send 787-10 to.

ps: staring at the wiki on top of 77W route master thread and can’t find any mention of EWR TLV losing 77W... did I miss the announcement ?
I wonder if the 21 PE seats and 46 additional Y seats, plus the 'sweet spot' distance for the 78J move the needle in favor of replacing the 777, which, despite more J seats, has higher trip costs.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Assuming that capacity will remain the same, they could run 3 78Js EWR-LHR, and then 2of the new Heavy-J 763s, to balance the J / Y ratio. Also, EWR-CDG could use 1 and 1, the 78J for more Y customers and the Heavy-J 763 to balance the ratio.

I agree that other good uses for the 78J are leisure markets with low J / Y ratios. DUB/BCN come to mind since they already have a low J count.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
I dunno. The 757 on LHR is glaringly non-competitive.
On paper I agree, but then you fly the 764, or converted 763, or 787 and have to contort yourself to simply plug in your headphones and you realize that the experience sucks because of the seat and not the plane.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Looking forward to seeing this become reality
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Star Alliance is weak in Spain and it is really much nicer to fly nonstop their rather than backtracking from Frankfurt, Geneva, Munich or Zurich. I have a friend who lives near Malaga and that is always a painful trip on Star Alliance.
I hear you. Anything that helps me AAvoid OneWorld to my favorite country, the better AC uses the awful Rouge to BCN so *A options could use some help (I'm a bit over backtracking on LH/LX).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by seanp7
I hear you. Anything that helps me AAvoid OneWorld to my favorite country, the better AC uses the awful Rouge to BCN so *A options could use some help (I'm a bit over backtracking on LH/LX).
To avoid backtracking, one can always fly via *A hub in LIS which provides lots of Spanish connections: MAD, BCN, LCG, ALC, AGP, BIO, SVQ (and probably a few others I missed). Granted, you'll be flying TP but I would say *A still has somewhat good coverage on the Iberian peninsula after the demise of JK.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888
To avoid backtracking, one can always fly via *A hub in LIS which provides lots of Spanish connections: MAD, BCN, LCG, ALC, AGP, BIO, SVQ (and probably a few others I missed). Granted, you'll be flying TP but I would say *A still has somewhat good coverage on the Iberian peninsula after the demise of JK.
Flying to e.g. BCN through LIS vs. through FRA is only a 10% difference from the east coast, and less than 3% difference from the west coast:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.