Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Premier Benefits on UA flight booked with partner points?

Old Sep 17, 18, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM PG, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

I'm Premier Gold on UA and I booked a United flight using Avianca points. I see the flight in my UA profile after I added it, but my FF# is Avianca and I can't change it, so it wants to charge me for Economy Plus seating and baggage check. Is there a way to get the reservation to recognize my United status? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I couldn't find it when I searched.
Old Sep 17, 18, 1:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by otptravels View Post
I'm Premier Gold on UA and I booked a United flight using Avianca points. I see the flight in my UA profile after I added it, but my FF# is Avianca and I can't change it, so it wants to charge me for Economy Plus seating and baggage check. Is there a way to get the reservation to recognize my United status?...
Without getting your UA FF on the PNR, you probably will not be successful in advance. Some airlines allow changes to the FF id on award tickets, some don't.

At the airport, when checking-in, you might have some success presenting your UA status. This is a bit YMMV but it can happen (or not).
Old Sep 17, 18, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Call. The Premier desk is the only one that can change it. Whether they will or not is uncertain, but it's the only shot you've got pre-airport.
Old Sep 17, 18, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Call. The Premier desk is the only one that can change it. ....
They are unlikely to touch a partner award ticket. Have you been successful doing this?
Old Sep 18, 18, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
you should be able to change it at OLCI.
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Gold
I've booked LifeMiles for travel on OZ, NH and TG and been able on those carriers to enter my MP number for *G benefits (better handling in irrops). You mean bookings on UA flights can't have the MP number added?
Old Sep 18, 18, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by 1984SW View Post
I've booked LifeMiles for travel on OZ, NH and TG and been able on those carriers to enter my MP number for *G benefits (better handling in irrops). You mean bookings on UA flights can't have the MP number added?
Some carriers allow two fields (FQTS/FQTV) for frequent flyer accounts. But many don't.
(FQTV refers to frequent flyer program that the miles should be credited to; FQTS refers to the frequent flyer program for which status benefits to use)

If you were able to do this AV LifeMiles tickets, then the OP should also be able -- appears the OP is being told no. It is a factor of who issued the tickets, not the carrier being used.

BTW, pmUA had the two fields, but not presently not available on UA issued tickets.
Old Sep 18, 18, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
They are unlikely to touch a partner award ticket. Have you been successful doing this?
how do you define ‘touch”ing a partner ticket. A seat request isn’t exactly something that requires a re-issue, and in fact, changing seats is often better to do through operating airline than by the people who issued the ticket (point of reference: I never keep the seat in row 12 on a CR2 that I always get if I book an AC flight on this plane through UA).

Whether UA will want to give E+ for free in this situation is another question, but there is certainly no problem with an operating carrier doing a seat change on their flight when the ticket is issued by someone else.
Old Sep 18, 18, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
how do you define ‘touch”ing a partner ticket. ...
was referring to changing the frequent flyer account -- which was the issue bing discussed

A seat request isn’t exactly something that requires a re-issue, and in fact, changing seats is often better to do through operating airline than by the people who issued the ticket (point of reference: ...
Seat assignements are the operating carrier's role, so that;s no problem

Whether UA will want to give E+ for free in this situation is another question, ...
That is the OPs question

but there is certainly no problem with an operating carrier doing a seat change on their flight when the ticket is issued by someone else. ...
Never said otherwise.
Old Sep 19, 18, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM PG, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thank you all for the responses! I took your advice and called. The UA premier agent said they couldn't touch the ticket because it was booked by Avianca. Then she told me to call Avianca and they could do it. She had just done the same for a person who booked an Avianca flight with United miles and wanted his Avianca number attached. I called the US Avianca number at (1 800 ) 284-2622 and they attached my United MP number. Now when I go into the reservation online I have full access to E+ seating and it shows no fees for baggage.
jsloan, onthesam, dval44 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by otptravels View Post
Thank you all for the responses! I took your advice and called. The UA premier agent said they couldn't touch the ticket because it was booked by Avianca. Then she told me to call Avianca and they could do it. She had just done the same for a person who booked an Avianca flight with United miles and wanted his Avianca number attached. I called the US Avianca number at (1 800 ) 284-2622 and they attached my United MP number. Now when I go into the reservation online I have full access to E+ seating and it shows no fees for baggage.
Wow, awesome. I am having this EXACT issue and am glad I kept searching FT

I called a UA Premier and she said she couldn't touch it, but i could call back at check in to get free e+ seating, which is the only benefit I'm after.

I'll try LM - thanks for following up on your post!
Old Feb 26, 19, 4:44 pm

Don't know if this is mentioned further up, but I added my UA number to an SQ award booking (on UA metal) via the SQ website and it was super easy! Instantly appeared in my UA account with full benefits.

I've done this before with AA, AS, BA, etc. and this was by far the easiest!

Last edited by dval44; Feb 26, 19 at 4:50 pm
Old Feb 26, 19, 6:53 pm

I can vouch that adding my UA # as a Silver granted me free bag, E+ and was even on upgrade list on a UA metal PHX-ORD-DTW award booked thru LH M&M. The UA phone agent was able to add my UA FF # to reservation, no problem.