FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   NFC embedded in countertops - new United clubs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1930951-nfc-embedded-countertops-new-united-clubs.html)

onthesam Sep 16, 2018 4:30 pm

NFC embedded in countertops - new United clubs

Anyone else notice thier phone picking up NFC activity when placed on certain countertops (i e bar, side table) at certain newer UCs (ie ORD, LAX)?

HNLbasedFlyer Sep 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Care to elaborate what that means? The only NFC I know is the National Football Conference......

onthesam Sep 16, 2018 5:28 pm

From Google:

NFC, or Near Field Communication, is a technology that allows devices to exchange information simply by placing them next to one another.
Whats happening is when I put my phone down on some spots on the speckled white/gray quartz looking counter surfaces in the UCs, and my phone indicates a device is attempting to talk to it...

​​​

glbltvlr Sep 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Are you sure it wasn't a Bluetooth connection? Ive been getting a bunch of unsolicited file transfer requests in airports recently, especially DEN. Apparently the latest marketing fad.

warrenw Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Interesting, haven't experienced that!

onthesam Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by glbltvlr (Post 30211095)
Are you sure it wasn't a Bluetooth connection? Ive been getting a bunch of unsolicited file transfer requests in airports recently, especially DEN. Apparently the latest marketing fad.

Yes I'm sure it's NFC not Bluetooth. Love those Bluetooth push requests when I'm on board though :D. Was able to trigger it repatedly by tapping phone on the same spot.

​​​​​

kale73 Sep 16, 2018 10:23 pm

The countertop is trying to talk to your phone? Creepy. What could they possibly have to discuss, if not you?

HNLbasedFlyer Sep 17, 2018 12:50 am

So - don't keep us in suspense, what did the countertops say to your phone.......

riphamilton Sep 17, 2018 1:30 am

has this happened at multiple clubs? did you have an nfc-enabled credit card nearby? my phone gets mildly annoyed when my costco visa is close.

FriendlySkies Sep 17, 2018 3:02 am

Could it have something to do with wireless charging?

Yet another reason to keep Bluetooth shut off.

fumje Sep 17, 2018 7:11 am

Some others have noticed this too:

(post from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...clubs-ord.html)

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley (Post 26573050)
As expected, the B18 club is absolutely slammed in the afternoons now that the other, larger B club is closed for renovation. As others have said, I like where they're going w/ the new menu and whatnot, but there are quite a few kinks that need to be worked out. The guy next to me tried to order something, only to find they were out of like half the menu. I also appreciate that they've upgraded the free liquor from what I drank at the beginning of college over to what I drank at the end of college.

Also, my phone found an NFC tag embedded in the bar in the B18 club, near the second seat from the left. I have no idea why its there; any ideas? Since it was writable (and I lack imagination), I took the liberty of embedding "Hello" onto the tag. Happy hunting.

Fun. :)

bob_the_d Sep 17, 2018 8:03 am

Wild speculation, but maybe they're looking into contactless payments?

dimramon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 am

Maybe it's for passenger flow tracking and management?
Pure speculation, but if that's the case, shouldn't there be disclosures?

DutchessPDX Sep 17, 2018 11:33 am

I had the same thing happen at a hotel in BCN. Someone was systematically trying all our BT connections on my partner and my Apple devices.

Collierkr Sep 17, 2018 12:38 pm

If this is UA they should disclose it, otherwise another PR nightmare in the making.

I suspect that this is NOT legit and could be scammers. Just like stealing cards from gas pumps... and also why I broke down and bought an RFID blocking wallet (which I have to remember to remove from my person when going through security).