Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NFC embedded in countertops - new United clubs

NFC embedded in countertops - new United clubs

Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Yet another reason to keep Bluetooth shut off.
Or switch AirDrop to contacts only.
wavid likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
Wild speculation, but maybe they're looking into contactless payments?
Would be a good way to pay a bar tab - tap your phone anywhere on a counter to pay for your premium wine and beer!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Collierkr
and also why I broke down and bought an RFID blocking wallet (which I have to remember to remove from my person when going through security).
All you have to do is place a piece of aluminum foil inside of of your non RFID blocking wallet on each side. It is much cheaper and does the job.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
All you have to do is place a piece of aluminum foil inside of of your non RFID blocking wallet on each side. It is much cheaper and does the job.
perhaps true but a pain. I didn't pay much for my wallet and I don't have to fumble with foil.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
Wild speculation, but maybe they're looking into contactless payments?
Originally Posted by drewguy
Would be a good way to pay a bar tab - tap your phone anywhere on a counter to pay for your premium wine and beer!
While I have seen NFC readers embedded into countertops before (The Melt's location in La Jolla, CA near UCSD, for example), they would likely need to be combined with a preexisting tablet/POS type setup (like what EWR and IAH have)--and they'd definitely not be writable by random devices. More likely is that any NFC reader for payment will be built into some sort of handheld device carried by bartenders, or possibly an area with a standard terminal where you'd go to for payment.

Speaking of handheld devices, I have seen FAs carry around devices that look like they have the right hardware for it. I have no idea if it's enabled yet, though.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
and also why I broke down and bought an RFID blocking wallet
RFID blocking wallets are a waste of money for most Americans considering that such cards are extremely uncommon here. Only a few are issued like that by default, with a few more on an opt-in basis.

(Even if such cards were common in the US I'd still say that the chances of getting skimmed that way are very remote. That's a discussion better suited for another thread, though.)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:40 pm

NFC in tabletops is growing in the food service industry, at least in the "Fast Casual" type places that I've seen.

You order at a counter, the cashier gives you an electronic coaster. The coaster looks like those pager buzzers, but instead, you put them on the table, the coaster reads the NFC ID of the table and broadcasts "I'm coaster #X and I'm at table #Y ". Server then knows what table to go to to deliver your food.

Around me, Stonefire Grill was the first place I noticed them. Though I see them more at "upscale" strip malls that share a common patio amongst several restaurants.

Ah, found it. This is the brand of Table Tracker I most commonly see:

https://www.lrsus.com/table-tracker/
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
NFC in tabletops is growing in the food service industry, at least in the "Fast Casual" type places that I've seen.

You order at a counter, the cashier gives you an electronic coaster. The coaster looks like those pager buzzers, but instead, you put them on the table, the coaster reads the NFC ID of the table and broadcasts "I'm coaster #X and I'm at table #Y ". Server then knows what table to go to to deliver your food.

Around me, Stonefire Grill was the first place I noticed them. Though I see them more at "upscale" strip malls that share a common patio amongst several restaurants.

Ah, found it. This is the brand of Table Tracker I most commonly see:

https://www.lrsus.com/table-tracker/
I thought UA was using that sort f set up with the in-club pizzas that they were selling a while back (I have no idea whether they are still selling them). IIRC the B18 club in ORD was one of the ones selling pizzas...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I thought UA was using that sort f set up with the in-club pizzas that they were selling a while back (I have no idea whether they are still selling them). IIRC the B18 club in ORD was one of the ones selling pizzas...
OT, but...I haven't seen any pizza sales in the ORD clubs in many months. I am pretty sure they've discontinued that...

-mvitale
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: UA MP
IMO if the the intentions of this is to tell you a la carte food and have it delivered to your seat, I feel that it downgrades the experience of the UC system. Having paid food just feels like they are trying to nickel and dime, almost like what they do over at AA. Now if they offered a la carte options at no charge , then that'll be a perfect implementation.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by tmiw
While I have seen NFC readers embedded into countertops before (The Melt's location in La Jolla, CA near UCSD, for example), they would likely need to be combined with a preexisting tablet/POS type setup (like what EWR and IAH have)--and they'd definitely not be writable by random devices. More likely is that any NFC reader for payment will be built into some sort of handheld device carried by bartenders, or possibly an area with a standard terminal where you'd go to for payment.

Speaking of handheld devices, I have seen FAs carry around devices that look like they have the right hardware for it. I have no idea if it's enabled yet, though.

RFID blocking wallets are a waste of money for most Americans considering that such cards are extremely uncommon here. Only a few are issued like that by default, with a few more on an opt-in basis.

(Even if such cards were common in the US I'd still say that the chances of getting skimmed that way are very remote. That's a discussion better suited for another thread, though.)
The FA handheld readers definitely worked with Apple Pay last spring. Don't know if it was officially condoned/it's always possible they disabled it (like CVS/Rite Aid did), but the capability is there.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wavid
The FA handheld readers definitely worked with Apple Pay last spring. Don't know if it was officially condoned/it's always possible they disabled it (like CVS/Rite Aid did), but the capability is there.
I don't remember seeing the lights above the reader turn on the last time I bought something on board, but this was back in March. Not sure why they disabled it (or maybe they need to push something on their end to enable it?)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Yet another reason to keep Bluetooth shut off.
This has nothing to do with Bluetooth, and you can't shut it off. NFC (Near Field Communications) chips are used to automatically trigger given applications in an NFC-enabled smartphone held against it. The most familiar application for NFC is Apple Pay, in which the triggered application is Apple's payment 'wallet' that you have pre-loaded with credit and debit cards. To make a transaction, you just rest the top edge of your phone against a designated place on the point-of-sale terminal and the Apple Wallet app automatically comes up, without having to be logged in to your phone.

What he's talking about here is that he rests his phone on a certain place on the counter, and Apple Pay pops up because it senses an NFC chip there. The payments chip is actually only the first of many different kinds of NFC chips which can be set up to trigger different actions, such as unlocking a private door.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alangore
you can't shut it off
Some Android phones actually do let you shut off NFC. It doesn't use much if any battery when not used, though, so I usually keep mine on.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by tmiw
Some Android phones actually do let you shut off NFC. It doesn't use much if any battery when not used, though, so I usually keep mine on.
I think the user meant that you can't shut off the NFC Tag not the service on the device.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I think the user meant that you can't shut off the NFC Tag not the service on the device.
The tag itself is powered by the phone, though, so it won't actually send anything unless the NFC service on the phone is on. (Though POS devices are usually actively powered as well so that contactless credit/debit cards can work.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.