Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Both.
Speak for yourself.

You're still in a F seat. You still get a F meal. You still get priority luggage tag and better luggage allowances. You're still ahead of boarding groups 2-5. You still get to use the forward lav (after the pilots).
Those may be your priorities, but they are not mine. Bin space is my main priority.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rwmiller56
Speak for yourself.,,.
I was speaking as if I were the person not flying enough to reach top-tier status, as I allude to later in the response. Sorry if offence was taken.

Basically, if I was a non-top tier elite w/ United, I would recognize that United is going to treat its best customers a little better. All airlines do it. As do hotels, rental car companies, some stores, cruise lines, drilling contractors, etc.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Speak for yourself.

Those may be your priorities, but they are not mine. Bin space is my main priority.
The chances of non-F/J 1K’s, Plats and Gold/*G’s putting their carry ons in the F section is somewhere between a gnat’s crotchet and zero. Why would they? They’re experienced fliers. They’ll be through the F/J cabin and into Y (not holding up F/J’s in the line) and there’ll be plenty of bin space above their seat where it’s easy to retrieve.

I’ve never seen any Y pax boarding in GP1 or GP2 poach OHB space in the Premium cabin. It’s been groups 3 and 4; maybe a late boarding *G but not those boarding at their allotted time. Maybe you’ve been the unlucky one in the gnat’s chrotchet that’s experienced it.

There used to be issues when the cabin crew filled up a third of the F bin space with their own bags, but I haven’t seen that in ages.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:13 pm

Out of SFO? Well, if DL covers your flying (which must not be extensive enough to benefit from UA's network/schedule out of SFO), go for it. Another airline might be warranted if a couple of people boarding ahead of you is enough to throw the rattle on the floor.
Well, the poster is right if his main route is SFO-JFK (which is my main route). UA abandoned it a couple of years ago. And for what? EWR?
DL has 7 non stops a day on the route, with really nice coffin seats on all aircraft, some of them with 40 J seats. AA (which had been my preferred airline several decades ago when they had a hub at SJC) only has 5 flights a day SFO-JFK. AA pretty much abandoned SFO flyers over the past decade. Can't even fly them up and down the West Coast further north of San Francisco.

So I think it depends on the route. I gave a ton of flying to DL starting several years ago when UA's service went into the toilet (believe me, it did). The difference in reliability, even to this day, has been that DL has trumped UA all across the country. You can just see it at many of their locations where they have a manager on flights kicking butt to get the flight out on time (even saw it at CVG last weekend).

Were it not for UA's route selection dominance out of SFO, I don't know that they'd compete that well. They have improved lately, though, and I thought of giving them a chance again, until this boarding demotion of paid F non1K flyers was put in. I had 2.6mm on UA. There are posters who hypothesize that UA wants to show more appreciation to its 1K's then an occasional full fare F pax. But how does UA really know how the 1K guy got there? What if he were a 1 year wonder? The demotion of full fare paying F pax, who just happen not to be currently 1K is a foolish move on UA's part, with the potential to piss off far more full fare paying passengers (many like myself who have had large spends over many years) than stroking a recently minted1k. If UA think's that's worth it, I think their fools.

I also go to Hawaii every 2-3 months throughout the year and UA had me captive for decades. Now, AS and HA have excellent service out of all Bay Area airports and it's a pleasure to give my money to them. UA has been a good carrier, but has seen better days and had some peaks and troughs in service. This is just a dumb move as it relates to full fare paying F passengers. I suspect UA will reverse it, or regret it.

As to the million dollar question---what percentage of paid F pax are not 1K?, nobody has convinced me that he/she has that answer. Lots of speculation and know-it-all analysis, but something that is difficult to quantify unless UA itself can provide it---and I doubt even UA can. As other posters have said, "what is the downside of including boarding equality of paid F with 1K pax?" Answer: zilch. It's about stowing bags, and I believe we all know that. Especially if an F cabin pax does not get in line with the gate rushers and get his/her bag in there, and the FA's can't be gestapo on managing whether Y pax take up the bins in F or if F pax put a lot of small stuff up there. The carriers did this when they started charging.

The carriers created this mess with the bag charges, and they can't fix it.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:14 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I was speaking as if I were the person not flying enough to reach top-tier status, as I allude to later in the response. Sorry if offence was taken.

Basically, if I was a non-top tier elite w/ United, I would recognize that United is going to treat its best customers a little better. All airlines do it. As do hotels, rental car companies, some stores, cruise lines, drilling contractors, etc.
It's fine to treat top tiers better. No one is disputing that. What people are saying (and you are not hearing) is that they are treating paid F WORSE than before. This wasn't just an upgrade for 1ks, it was a downgrade for paid F too.

Paid F already get stuck with the crap meals as GS and 1ks (even on upgrades) get first choice. Now we are forced to board with hoards of Gold. When I fly AA I board with top tier elites and can choose my meal in advance. UA is getting it's arse kicked.

It really doesn't matter to me, anyway, as I have a fairly bad disability, which I have never claimed before for pre-boarding, but for which I now will. So you will see me in the pre-boarding line, anyway.
Hmmmm...I'll have to see if I can dig up that brace from my Achilles surgery a decade ago for my already purchased UA F flights!!!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:17 pm

Well, it's just a "bet" isn't it? The response by Kokonutz is right on, and I wish I had said it first myself. If UA had "done the math", will somebody stop "betting" and step up with data?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Yes, there were some large items in the F bins, and none of it was crew items. I don't believe any coach pre-boarders put their bags in F bins.
I am not disputing the right of F pax to put their bags in F. I am saying that paid F pax no longer have fair access to the bins.
Are you assuming the preboards 1k/gs weren't paid f as well?

I've boarded more than a few flights in paid F as a 1k and not had bin space in F. The new boarding may alleviate some of that.

E
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by ecoomer

Exactly!
A solution for some might therefore be, United introduce pre-pre-boarding for all GS/1k who are also paid F.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecoomer
Without speaking for the poster being quoted, I think that's a pretty widely held assumption on this thread, judging by the number of times "paid F" keeps getting mentioned as though it were the ultimate badge of honor. This would come as a surprise to the people on the "GPUs are worthless" thread who complain about how difficult it is to get upgraded, even as a GS or 1K using an instrument, especially out of SFO.

I don't care what anybody else paid for their seat; I'm going to pay as little as United will allow for mine, and I'm not going to be the least bit apologetic for it.

This is really very simple. If the people who insist that this is going to kill UA's F booking are correct, the boarding process will be altered, likely by the end of the year. If not, the boarding process will still be altered, two or three years down the road, because the single most consistent thing about UA seems to be that they tinker with their boarding process all the time. (Think: the couple of automated gates that still exist).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
On my second flight of the day, ORD-PHX, the new boarding procedures went pretty smoothly.
I again waited until the end of boarding to board myself because I wanted to see if the dire predictions might come true.
Again, I had no problem finding space for my rollaboard in F, although someone had poached my seat and was summarily removed by the FAs. I was the last person to board.
So far, everything seems OK.^
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
I think there is a lot of talking past each other going on in this thread. I don't see any issue with UA boarding GS/1K ahead of non-status F. However, they have (potentially) put paid F behind Gold which seems to me wrong. Non status paid F may be "worth" less to UA than a 1K but I severely doubt that it is worth less than a Gold. Qualification for G is pretty modest by the standards we are talking about here. It would not be unusual for a single paid F that was part of an international trip to represent more revenue than the annual revenue for a G (of course this won't be the majority case but it isn't hard to construct). I think UA should have carved out a BG0 between 1K and Plat for F. Or personally, I'd have just created a single premium preboard that consisted of GS/1K/F. While a few GS might have had bruised egos it would have make 0 practical difference for their travels. I say this having spent many years as a GS, many as a 1K before that, and some as a lifetime 1K since I dropped GS. Even out of SFO it just isn't that big of a deal if you are boarding with a GS/1K/F group (and by the way that was the PMUA sequencing). The only part of the new procedure I think is in error is mixing non-status F with all the way down to Golds.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
NRT

A couple of flights out of NRT this week and it seems the new boarding process is being implemented for all flights. The boarding is better than before...just as the previous days of UA
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If there's 18 bags between pre-boarding F and BG1 F and room for 16, 2 are going to be heading backward. I guess this is an example of UA giving preference to its top-tier elites in F. GS who's spent $50K on United gets to stow his bag above him. No/low status passenger on short end. when I stop flying like I do now, I'm sure I'll be on the short end, too. It is what it is.

Sort of like UAs catering. 12 meat and 4 vegetarian meals loaded for 16 seats, as example - UA gives priority choice to GS and 1Ks. Other passengers (especially at end of order taking) are not getting equal access to choices.

Again, this sounds more like a case of carry-on enforcement.
This a million times. Part of the solution to boarding early or not always comes back to overhead space. They need to enforce their own rules and see what happens.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by findark
Who cares about boarding a widebody early? With the possible exception of the extra-dense IPTE J cabin, I would much rather stay in the lounge and board last.
Good point. I could spend more time in the IAD Polaris lounge before my flight. Oh, wait.....

If I pay for a Polaris fare, unless it comes with guaranteed OH space, I'm boarding early.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:44 am
Suspended

Another data point - UEX flight last night from MSP-EWR -- new boarding procedure utilized and effective -- very pleased so far with the new process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.