Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla
reserve your lounges for premium and status pax instead of letting the masses with a credit card in and then deny access to domestic premium pax.
Are you talking about the two one-use passes with the Explorer Card, or the Club Card?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I was talking to a colleague about this today and he had a great idea for a truly premium premium cabin experience: overhead space assigned by premium cabin seat number. An area in the overhead reserved specifically for each premium cabin customer's bag. Bulkhead row gets slightly more space for personal item.

That way premium cabin pax could sit in the lounge until the end of boarding and get on and have assured space for their bag in the overhead.

Once FC boarding is complete, any unused space could be re-purposed for coach pax.

This eliminates the sneaks sitting in coach who steal FC overhead space and keeps other rude FC pax from putting more than one bag up.

I would fly that airline!

This wouldn't be the most EFFICIENT use of overhead space, but it would be the most PREMIUM, and that airline would have a distinct advantage among people who pay for premium cabins!

This is SORT OF the way it works on most wide-bodies. There is plenty of space over each seat (except on the godawful UA 4-across in business) so no one sweats the early boarding overhead space race.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
that doesn't protect you from other F pax putting so much crap in the overhead space that when you come last it's already full...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:55 pm

What percent of paid F travelers are below 1K on UA? Beyond that, what percentage of paid F travelers that care enough to know when exactly in order they board fly infrequently enough that they couldn't qualify for top-tier status on at least one airline? I would bet that UA has done the math and determined that *G/Golds and 1Ks will care a whole lot more about their improved boarding than the average paid F passenger will care about their relative drop in priority (the many many posts in this thread notwithstanding). The cheapest RT P fares for the TCONs I take are about $1200. That's good for just over 10k PQM a pop, so 10 RTs and you're 1K. Internationally J/C/D and it's even quicker. To be frank, I'm not sure UA cares if they lose a number of 1-2x per year F flyers if it means keeping many 1Ks in the family.

Even then, I think most 1-2x per year F flyers neither know the boarding order nor care.

I also realized that the change in boarding groups now gives me enough data to estimate the number of elites in each category on flights I take. Since I frequently take the same flights on the the same days, the number of elites has been relatively steady. GS pre-boarded, so I got to see the number of those. I have been silver for a while, so I know, based on my waitlist position (modulo my fare class) about how many of us there are. 1K will now pre-board, so I can get an estimate of them. Soon I'll be gold, so will get those numbers from my new waitlist position (and estimated change in the BG1 group size). Everyone else must be platinum. Certainly not enough to estimate #s or loads systemwide, but it will be interesting for me to see nonetheless (and helpful data in case I ever shoot for platinum)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by schlang
that doesn't protect you from other F pax putting so much crap in the overhead space that when you come last it's already full...
There would be lines in the overhead marking the space specifically reserved for each premium seat: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. If I board with seat 2B and there is something in 'my' space, out it goes.

What percent of paid F travelers are below 1K on UA? Beyond that, what percentage of paid F travelers that care enough to know when exactly in order they board fly infrequently enough that they couldn't qualify for top-tier status on at least one airline? I would bet that UA has done the math and determined that *G/Golds and 1Ks will care a whole lot more about their improved boarding than the average paid F passenger will care about their relative drop in priority (the many many posts in this thread notwithstanding).
If that number is so small then what's the harm in letting them board with top tier elites like AA and Delta do!?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If that number is so small then what's the harm in letting them board with top tier elites like AA and Delta do!?
Exactly. What is the problem with boarding top-tier elites and F together? It’s not like F passengers are a threat to elites’ overhead space in coach. Is overhead space in F on UA so threatened that elites need a leg up? I mean, other than getting your bag up, what difference does boarding order make to elites or F passengers?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by prometa
What percent of paid F travelers are below 1K on UA?
I am lowly silver (although it looks like I'll make platinum by the end of the year) and always fly paid business or first. I could care less about 1ks boarding before me.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dalehill

Exactly. What is the problem with boarding top-tier elites and F together? It’s not like F passengers are a threat to elites’ overhead space in coach. Is overhead space in F on UA so threatened that elites need a leg up? I mean, other than getting your bag up, what difference does boarding order make to elites or F passengers?

Again, you don't understand what is going on. United has decided it wants to treat its top-tier elites a little better than everyone else. It's not a matter of bin space. It's sort of interesting that one of the main arguments about letting F board first is bin space and now you say bin space won't be a problem if top-tier elites and F board together. Which is it?

A GS pays $7500 for a Polaris ticket. A non-GS buys a $7500 ticket. One gets extra special service w/ GS check-in area and short-cut to front of TSA line and maybe a even a Mercedes ride to a connection. They get it because they've demonstrated $50K in loyalty during the most recent year Are you saying anyone who pays the same $7500 should be treated exactly the same? Some will say "yes" and that's fine, but in the current (and real) world, companies selling goods and services are giving benefits to certain customers who demonstrate loyalty and spend. It's just the way it is. The GS is being treated better, but some feel the non-GS is being mistreated. One doesn't necessarily require the other.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 20, 2018 at 7:28 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
I flew UA317 this morning, SFO to IND. I was in PAID F, and I was the second person in the Group 1 line.
I saw about 20-30 people pre-board, initially. Nobody came up when they called families, active military, GS, or 1K, except for the fellow in front of me, who was 1K. That put me first in the group 1 line.
I'm guessing that most who pre-boarded were either GS or 1K, and they didn't wait for the call, they just pre-boarded first.

When I boarded and got to my F seat, I was shocked to see F (16 seats) almost full, and there was literally only one space left in the overhead bins, which I used for my medium size laptop roller bag. Two more folks boarded in F, and I know they had trouble finding bin space.

I generally fly paid F several times a year, and I usually make Silver. I fly paid F for the comfortable seat, and (what used to be) early boarding. Upgrades for Silvers are practically non-existent, so I don't even bother.
My first impression of the new boarding system is that it very well could affect bin space availability for paid F pax. I don't think this is a fair system for paid F pax.

Last edited by rwmiller56; Sep 20, 2018 at 7:33 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwmiller56
...My first impression of the new boarding system is that it very well could affect bin space availability for paid F pax. I don't think this is a fair system for paid F pax.
So the GS and 1Ks who pre-boarded and sat in F filled the bins? Is there a possibility the pre-boarders who sat in F might have had too many items, or crew used some of the space? Or are you saying you know pre-boarders who sat in coach put their bags in F for some reason? It seems to me pre-boarders who have F seats have a right to put their allocated bags in the F bins. Pre-boarders having too many items or FAs using bins are different problems than boarding order.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:36 pm

My boarding out of ATL-IAH today was just as pleasant as yesterday! So far so good! I will be boarding my flight to SAT soon will keep sharing my experience at least from a GS view I don’t see a negative if anything we get to board earlier now as we are now before families!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
So the GS and 1Ks who pre-boarded and sat in F filled the bins? Is there a possibility the pre-boarders who sat in F might have had too many items, or crew used some of the space? Or are you saying you know pre-boarders who sat in coach put their bags in F? It seems to me pre-boarders who have F seats have a right to put their allocated bags in the F bins.
Yes, there were some large items in the F bins, and none of it was crew items. I don't believe any coach pre-boarders put their bags in F bins.
I am not disputing the right of F pax to put their bags in F. I am saying that paid F pax no longer have fair access to the bins.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, there were some large items in the F bins, and none of it was crew items. I don't believe any coach pre-boarders put their bags in F bins.
I am not disputing the right of F pax to put their bags in F. I am disputing the right of paid F pax to have fair access to the bins.
If there's 18 bags between pre-boarding F and BG1 F and room for 16, 2 are going to be heading backward. I guess this is an example of UA giving preference to its top-tier elites in F. GS who's spent $50K on United gets to stow his bag above him. No/low status passenger on short end. when I stop flying like I do now, I'm sure I'll be on the short end, too. It is what it is.

Sort of like UAs catering. 12 meat and 4 vegetarian meals loaded for 16 seats, as example - UA gives priority choice to GS and 1Ks. Other passengers (especially at end of order taking) are not getting equal access to choices.

Again, this sounds more like a case of carry-on enforcement.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 20, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If there's 18 bags between pre-boarding F and BG1 F and room for 16, 2 are going to be heading backward. I guess this is an example of UA giving preference to its top-tier elites in F. Seems reasonable.
Reasonable from whose perspective? You, as a top tier elite? Or me, as a paid F who doesn't fly enough to make top tier elite?
It really doesn't matter to me, anyway, as I have a fairly bad disability, which I have never claimed before for pre-boarding, but for which I now will. So you will see me in the pre-boarding line, anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reasonable from whose perspective? You, as a top tier elite? Or me, as a paid F who doesn't fly enough to make top tier elite?...
Both. I expect a GS to be treated better than me. They are worth a lot more to UA than I am. When I'm Gold, I'll expect to see Plats, 1Ks and GSs treated better than me because they are worth more to United. Again, they are just being treated better, I am not being mistreated. Lagniappe for them. I don't begrudge GSs for what they get and how they are treated - even if I have paid the exact same (or more) money for my ticket than they have. United is deciding how much we are worth, not us. It is what it is.

You're still in a F seat. You still get a F meal. You still get priority luggage tag and better luggage allowances. You're still ahead of boarding groups 2-5. You still get to use the forward lav (after the pilots).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 20, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.