Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The occasional F pax is still in BG1. Not BG2. Not BG3. Not BG4. Not BG5. They still get the seat/meal they paid for. They still get an orange tag on their bag..
I agree with you position if we are talking domestic F. The price differential between that seat and a seat in the back isn’t all that great, and I can understand that wanting to reward the excess and 1K members.

Now when you’re talking about a Polaris seat, which can be 3 1/2 to 4 times the cost of the seat in the back, your rationale is less compelling.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Preboard: GS, extra time
BG1: 1K, F, J
BG2: Plat, Gold, *G
BG3: Silvers, CC
BG 4-5: Y
BG 6: BE
works for me. too, and I'm perpetual silver.

I neglected that Gold was commingled with Silver in BG2 before, but BG1 always seems bigger, anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Yes, that is half of their problem... they put themselves in a box over these credit cards. But it's only half their problem as witnessed by all of the posts over the best order for all of these "pre-board" groups. Right now, I count five pre-board groups with their own pecking order. Surely they can't make a line for each.
w/o having to pre-board credit card holders, the boarding structure would be a lot easier to design (albeit, still with the unavoidable whining). I think a lot of people see the logic in the structure, they just don't like their place in the structure.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah - UA is stuck with designing a priority boarding sequence that includes people who shouldn't be promised priority boarding. Sure, give 'em a free bag and Premier Access at security. Neither require a structure like boarding does.
I have an AA card that's supposed to do the same thing, put me in some early group. I don't fly AA much, but it seems like there's groups -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, and maybe 1 ahead of the group 1 or 2 the card buys me.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by halls120

I agree with you position if we are talking domestic F. The price differential between that seat and a seat in the back isn’t all that great, and I can understand that wanting to reward the excess and 1K members.

Now when you’re talking about a Polaris seat, which can be 3 1/2 to 4 times the cost of the seat in the back, your rationale is less compelling.
I understand what you're saying but what real problems do Polaris customers suffer in BG1? It's not bin space... they have their own cabin. It's not food or drink. So they board maybe two or three minutes later for a flight that's eight hours long. Who would possibly care about that? In fact, many Polaris passengers want to be the LAST on for that very reason.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by seat38a
I wonder what percentage of UA's decisions came about from the info from these machines that were setup at LAX and other stations that were testing the boarding process.

I gave it a sad face each time I boarded.
I'll give an angry face from now on.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

That could be solved (in cases of wide-bodies, 2 jetways, 2 scanners) Polaris thru one scanner, everyone else thru 2nd. Modify sequence to allow Polaris boarding for applicable gates/aircraft. Big monitor over 1st scanner "POLARIS ONLY". I agree - Polaris is a different bird altogether from domestic F
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by seat38a
Most of this hoopla could be easily eliminated if UA addopted what Swiss does. This is from my flight last year.

Not only was it labeled but the FA strictly enforced it. A guy from coach dumped his bag up in the BC bin and as soon as we crossed the cabin divider, the FA got his attention and told him to remove it.
Why do people do this? A recent flight I was on person in front of me popped bag in rack over Row 7 or 8 (narrowbody) and then proceeded back to his sit somewhere in the middle of the cabin. He thus caused later arriving pax in those rows (row 7 has no underseat storage) to look even further back for bag space, making a mess of everything.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
how many GS/1K are there? Lufthansa has >3k HON and >100k SEN
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:08 pm

I've flown F and J on UA, and it didn't bug me terribly to board with 1Ks and plats in the old process. As long as there was room for my bag, which there usually is (especially INTL J), I was fine. I've also accepted that all but very top spenders have to deal with lines and crowds in some form or another at the airport.

I know some people are unhappy about having to board with Plats/Gold in this new process, but if that is your biggest gripe with travel or life, good for you! Many people would love to be in your situation.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:12 pm

I wonder what will happen the day a very very big VIP of another *A carrier travels to the US on INTL F for north of $10k and finds himself waiting for his domestic connection in an overcrowded UC in SFO, followed by being directed to board with the second half of the plane by the GA, followed by finding out that he can't put his bag in the bin above seat 1A because for some reason the guy who boarded among the first and is now sitting in 23A decided to use that space.

Note that UA customers traveling on INTL J fares are still welcome to board among the first on almost every connecting *A partner. Not sure how those partners will react to UA breaking the reciprocity. Time will tell.

Last edited by mozilla; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by drewguy
I'll give an angry face from now on.
I'll press the smiley face twice then to negate it.

Only kidding......

Originally Posted by mozilla
I wonder what will happen the day a very very big VIP of another *A carrier travels to the US on INTL F for north of $10k and finds himself waiting for his domestic connection in an overcrowded UC in SFO, followed by being directed to board with the second half of the plane by the GA, followed by finding that the guy in 23A for some reason put his bag in the overhead bin space above his seat 1A.

Note that UA customers traveling on INTL J fares are still welcome to board among the first on almost every connecting *A partner. Not sure how those partners will react to UA breaking the reciprocity. Time will tell.
No clue, as a 1K, I will have boarded before them so can someone post what happens in that situation please?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by threeoh
On the contrary, this move could attract HVFs (whether they fly F or Y), because they know if they shift their loyalty to United they'll get to preboard.
People who fly paid premium don't have much appetite for being poorly treated. It's easy enough to take our business elsewhere rather than going through some sort of fraternity hazing in order to qualify for excellent treatment...after all that's why we are paying a PREMIUM price: for premium treatment. @:-)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by kokonutz
People who fly paid premium don't have much appetite for being poorly treated. It's easy enough to take our business elsewhere rather than going through some sort of fraternity hazing in order to qualify for excellent treatment...after all that's why we are paying a PREMIUM price: for premium treatment. @:-)
As it stands right now, the two other main domestic carriers, AA and DL both offer better treatment to me as a Paid F + non-status passenger than I do on UA as Paid F + NZ*G.
If it weren't for the fact that UA dominates all routes out of SFO, I'd be shifting my domestic travel elsewhere.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Your discounted F ticket may very well have cost less than someone else's Y ticket who had to buy it the day before departure. From what I gather you've been claiming, that person should board before you, not after you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.