Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FullFare
I think you miss the point. It's a question of value. Whether I have had previous poor service from UA is irrelevant. Whether you are attempting to say something "nicely" escapes me. Your value judgment on my intentions on whether or not to purchase a first class ticket is bogus and I resent it.

United's decision to devalue the boarding priority of first class purchased tickets is, in my opinion, an ill advised one, and one that I am confident that United will modify. Thanks for your understanding, empathy, and compassion.
I don't think I missed the point at all - regardless, the more blunt approach is I suspect UA would rather fire you as a customer - and other fliers like you - you don't fit at all as the kind of customer they are trying to attract.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
A large number of the 1K group spends a lot more than F pax. Often times due to the nature of their jobs, they have no choice but to buy a full Y fare - e.g. last minute ticket, F class is sold out, company has policy against premium seats.
We probably have a clash of perspectives. I always simply pay for the F cabin. I said that. I obviously flew UA a tone once, before they melted down a few years ago. Current lifetime for me is 2.5 mm miles? Does that count with you and others for anything? Why am I judged differently from a pax who has spent less lifetime on the carrier? Gosh, I have been in the midst of trying to come back. Now a kick in the head and I hear UA saying current 1K's should trump me? I say no way. I don't pay for these TOD tickets and simply buy first class tickets when I do fly United.

As for reality. My experience over the past several years, on all airlines, is that there are not a whole lot of "comp" upgrades for status flyers as in the past. Look at what all the carriers do: Getting an upgrade at the time of ticketing is anachronistic. All the carriers, led by DL, imho, keep the upgrades to the last bitter second. At any rate, I don't partake of these upgrades. My wife and I get tons of systemwide upgrades on AA. DL, and (when we were 1K) on UA and we wind up simply throwing them away and squandering them every year because they seldom honor them at the time of ticketing and we don't hang around praying for a waitlist break. Even on AA, our major carrier, I'm sitting on 14 of these things, after flying for 8, and piling up another 4 for making 8mm lifetime now, and 2 from last year.

I remain confined that devaluing a pax with paid F ticket is not the way to go and and am not persuaded by all the assertions of the 1K advocates that that status alone should prevail over a paid F ticket. For reasons as above. Give the 2.5 mm flyers like myself and others equal recognition for what we have endured with this carrier. I will match my lifetime spend on UA with anybody else posting on this board. And I'm not done flying yet

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2018 at 6:15 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If you don't fly F much, I can see how it's easy to imagine that it's not that big a deal. I fly F every time and see this go down regularly under the CURRENT paradigm BEFORE paid F is demoted to boarding with the Gold Horde, and it's why I always say, First Should Be First (failed twitter hashtag notwithstanding). And it's why flying F AA and DL is far less stressful. At the very least, First should not be valued at the same level as mid-tier elite. That's just crazy.
While bin space is indeed a concern, I do have to say.. I have boarded with Group 3. I have boarded with Groups 4 and 5. I have been the last person on the plane with a frantic GA literally holding the door and looking down the concourse for me. I have never had to gate check my bag -- there have been some close calls so I still try to line up early when I can, but the FA in F has always been able to make things work, including one time when she gate-checked a Y pax's bag that had been stuffed in an F bin. If boarding early is valuable, F pax still have a pretty darn similar experience -- show up 15 minutes early and be at the front of the Group 1 line, or show up at/after boarding begins and slide in to the end of the G1 line.

The real problem I'm starting to see based on the reports here is exactly what happens with LH boarding all the time. They make some sort of mumbled call that invites a group larger than 4 people to get on the plane and everyone charges the gate. That's basically what I'm afraid of.

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're in long-haul business class, why do you care if someone in economy boards in front of you? It's not like there won't be room for your carry on in the J cabin.

It seems that some here are confusing boarding order with social status.
Unless you're flying IPTE J

Originally Posted by Kacee
Which ones? Because if you're looking for a "better" J or F boarding experience than UA provides, you will also want to avoid DL, LH, LX, and virtually every major Asian carrier, all of which either let their own elites board first, or mix elites with premium cabin into the same group.

When I matched over to DL Plat last year, one of the first things I noticed was how much less organized and more stressful their boarding process is. And I've only flown front cabin with them.
+1. Boarding a DL plane is always a hassle, and ditto LH. The UA lanes were so orderly by comparison. I know you're not as much of a fan, but the only airline I've flown with a nicer boarding process than UA is WN.

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
I'm surprised by all the categorization of First Class VERSUS 1K VERSUS GS VERSUS whoever else. Do people not understand that there's a large amount of overlap in these categories? Certainly many GS are buying paid business or first tickets a lot of the time. To a lesser degree with 1K as well (I typically fly first but domestically so have never hit the GS spend threshold despite flying 100K+ a year). So if 1/4 of a first class cabin has 1K or GS, and maybe 50% of 1K / GS don't get upgraded and are in economy, it's not as if half the plane has boarded before non-status first class pax. In reality part of the first class cabin has boarded and a small portion of the economy cabin has before remainder of First class.

I'm mostly looking forward to being able to walk around all of the annoying non-Group 1 people who crowd the lanes not knowing where they should board. At the end of the day, boarding will always be somewhat chaotic. I find American, Alaskan and Delta all can have chaotic boarding processes with their respective approaches so outside of Southwest's model (which doesn't work for legacy full-service airlines), they can each be a mess whenever you have everyone trying to put bags in the overhead bins (which I would argue drives the anxiety to crowd the gate).
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FullFare
No sdix is not confused. He is right. Consider that.
That boarding priority is a proxy for social standing? As a 1K who pays for J/F about 75% of the time, I find that notion, well, ridiculous.

I'll add that I was not offended when SQ recently placed me in Boarding Group 2 on SIN-BKK, despite flying on a J ticket as a *G. If SQ wants to give priority to PPS and Solitaires, that's their business, and it certainly won't prevent me from flying them again.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Civility Reminder

On FT and particularly in this forum, we discuss the airline, UA -- what they do and how we feel it will impact our travels. We do this in a collegial manner and with civility. We do not discuss each other nor try psychoanalysis the motivations of each other -- that will lead to no good and is disruptive to the discussion.
12.2 Avoid Getting Personal
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
In a discussion we may not all agree, that is to be expected, but short of referenceable facts, we are stating our opinions and each has an equal right to state their opinion (as long as in FT's rules).

If you feel you have been attacked in violation of the rules, do not strike back -- report this to the Moderators using the Moderator alert ("red triangle" with white !).

Let's return to the discussion of UA

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don't think I missed the point at all - regardless, the more blunt approach is I suspect UA would rather fire you as a customer - and other fliers like you - you don't fit at all as the kind of customer they are trying to attract.
Appreciate your speculation on UA's motive for my future flying, but you may be off on your assessment of my prior spending on this carrier over the past 35 years. Wife and I didn't make 2.6 mm lifetime each for each. Your assessment that I am not fitting their type of customer is insulting and bogus. You my hear from other flyers like my wife and me. Are you a shill for the airline?

Have a nice day.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It all keeps circling back to overhead space.....
It does. And the overhead space in F is limited. The best way to assure that F pax get that space is to let them on first or among the first.

Many here have asserted that most 1ks are in F anyway. Well, so what's the harm in allowing those few non 1ks who are ALSO in first to pre-board as well. Shouldn't add that many pax to the pre-board, and they will be assured that GS, 1Ks and Golds in coach don't steal their overhead space.

I am hoping this whole issue is at least partially solved with the universal implementation of Space Bins:

But in the meantime I'll board among the first on DL and AA.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Labeling the chutes 1&2 is confusing with boarding groups 1&2. And even more so as chutes 1&2 have meant groups 1&2 up to now.

Just because WN use A/B Isn’t a reason not to do the same. Or call it heads and tails. “Group 3, board in lane 2”??

the 1K in pre Group 1 and Gold in Group 1 is a good move. The more like PMUA the better. Obviously
I just noticed this as well, and I wondered why no one else picked up on it earlier. IMHO, this is one of the stupidest moves they've made. They call them the "green" and "blue" lanes, but labeled them with numbers... which happen to match two of the boarding groups. Not confusing at all. I agree that a simple "A" and "B" would've been better, since "Premier Access" would obviously lead to confusion for Group 2 folks lined up in the "regular" lane.

Originally Posted by drewguy
We always joke about UA copying Delta or AA, but in this case it would have been a lot more rational just to use AA's 9-group process. The only difference (besides loyalty names) is that F pax are in group 1 rather than the equivalent of group 3, which arguably is more appropriate (as being argued here). Putting aside whether Plat and Gold should be lumped in a single group (AA does it; UA now does it; as a Plat I wished it were separate), all elites and F pax (and special needs/benefits) come before the credit card folks, who come before the non CC folks.
Yeah, in some ways, it would've been better to just copy AA's process. Even though we do rag on them for having 10 groups including CK (but hey, UA now has 11!), if anything, it seems to spread out the crowds to manageable levels while also providing "better recognition." It's actually kinda surprising that they didn't adopt the process, since Kirby seems to be bringing everything else over from AA...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Lets be clear here. The problem isn't that 1K's get to pre board but that United decided to dump Golds and *Golds and maybe platinums into Group 1. Unlike Delta and AA which which treats premium cabin passengers together with their top tier elites, now United has gone and grouped premium cabin passengers with their mid tier, and alliance elites which there are, correct me if I'm wrong but a load more of.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2018 at 6:53 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by seat38a
Lets be clear here. The problem isn't that 1K's get to pre board but that United decided to dump Golds and *Golds and maybe platinums into Group 1. Unlike Delta and AA which which treats premium cabin passengers together with their top tier elites, now United has gone and grouped premium cabin passengers with their mid tier, and alliance elites which there are, correct me if I'm wrong but a s*&^ load more of.
That's the right thing to do: add premium cabin to 'pre-board (group zero?)' putting UA on par with AA and DL.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Most of this hoopla could be easily eliminated if UA addopted what Swiss does. This is from my flight last year.

Not only was it labeled but the FA strictly enforced it. A guy from coach dumped his bag up in the BC bin and as soon as we crossed the cabin divider, the FA got his attention and told him to remove it.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Does anybody know if my spouse traveling with me will get to pre-board as well once I hit 1K this year?

Datapoint from my flight today from IAH->BWI.

The new boarding process at my gate and the one next to mine was implemented correctly by the GAs.

Aside from some kettles hanging out front near the BG1 line and some confusion if they were BG1, it wasn't too sloppy. Would have been nice for a bit more separation between BG1 and BG2 as the two were a bit close.

I can imagine on a more elite heavy route like to/from SFO or EWR this would have been a larger cluster.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
It does. And the overhead space in F is limited. The best way to assure that F pax get that space is to let them on first or among the first.

Many here have asserted that most 1ks are in F anyway. Well, so what's the harm in allowing those few non 1ks who are ALSO in first to pre-board as well. Shouldn't add that many pax to the pre-board, and they will be assured that GS, 1Ks and Golds in coach don't steal their overhead space.

I am hoping this whole issue is at least partially solved with the universal implementation of Space Bins:

But in the meantime I'll board among the first on DL and AA.
Agree with this intelligent and compelling post. DL and AA board premium cabin with priority, as UA should. I don't know who or wherefrom UA got the idea to displace F cabin passengers in boarding priority, behind elite class pax not purchasing first, but I sure hope they reverse that, wake up, and copy AA and DL, their major competitors.

Make no mistake, the overhead bins are precious and need to be protected for F pax. Can't expect policing by FA's (they didn't do well in the days when they called the cops to drag the doc off the plane). I have seen countless times when boarding Y cabin pax if tossed their stuff in the F overhead bins and a late-boarding upgrader (hey, a 1K at that) was SOL. One time, poor soul had to have his bag checked. And he wasn't that late to board.

Sum up: F cabin pax deserve priority before non-F cabin pax. The other carriers are doing it, as stated above.

UA needs to do the right thing and place F cabin pax in the priority board group. Major reason is overhead space, not value to society. All the speculations about this, including posters claiming personal valuations of themselves as to whose business is more valuable to UA, have been degrading to all of us. Agree with the moderator that it needed to stop.

I've already phoned in to UA about this. I'm in control of my company's worldwide travel to a significant extent (we allow F paid travel for worthy events) and have already told UA that we would like to be heard about this issue.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brp1264
Does anybody know if my spouse traveling with me will get to pre-board as well once I hit 1K this year?,,,,.
Traveling companions board with the highest elite. GS has been having their companions pre-board with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.