Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
My speculation is they've lost 1Ks, they've realized we're valuable, and this is a no cost way to make us feel a little more special.
I have to disagree with this - and in my opinion there are far more GS and 1K's than ever before.

I can only go by my direct experience - but I'm way farther down the waitlist than I ever have been before - which in my unscientific theory tells me there are more GS and 1K's on expensive tickets ahead of me. If I don't upgrade for cash or outright buy to a premium cabin, I'm often 10 or 15+ down the upgrade list - I just didn't have that happen prior to a year or two ago.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
So UA expects the boarding process to take longer now (wasn't it 50/30 and 20 for UEx?)
It was 45/35 and 25 -- but there were several different 737 boarding times, from 35 to 45.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I can only go by my direct experience - but I'm way farther down the waitlist than I ever have been before - which in my unscientific theory tells me there are more GS and 1K's on expensive tickets ahead of me.
Or they're selling more F tickets and the number of GS / 1K is the same.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
thursday

I just made silver a couple of weeks ago mostly on the strength of a trip to the Phillipines earlier this year. I hadnt had status in 5 years(no business travel thank god). Will see what its like Thursday on a IAH to DSM regional plane. Probably no big deal.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by jsloan
Or they're selling more F tickets and the number of GS / 1K is the same.
I vote for this one.

Even in TPA, I'm sure this is the case, because in the past you would typically see only 1-2 non-upgrade pax in F. Now it is half the cabin.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
So UA expects the boarding process to take longer now (wasn't it 50/30 and 20 for UEx?)
There were different boarding times based on what sub aircraft one flew on. Example sub CO currently boards 757s 50 min prior to departure while sub UA boards 45 min prior to departure. Once we are one group it will be 50 min. Sub CO boards 737s 35 min prior to departure regardless of variant while sub UA boards 737-900s 45 min prior to departure common metal will see boarding times stay at 35 min or decreased to 40 min depending on variant flown.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
So Platinum and paying Premium passengers that aren’t GS/1K get the shaft on this - part of an ever increasing Group 1. Yes they took out 1Ks but added Golds.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
No they should not.

Based on boarding order? Seriously?

Because airlines want to reward loyalty and consistent spend over a one-off purchase (which might be something like a $99 upgrade). You will see this with many airlines worldwide, where top tier elites board before paid J.
I think you are seriously short-sighted an uninformed for the basis of this post. Wife and I have been Bay Area based flyers for the past 30+ yrs of FF programs. We are perennial EXP and DM. We both have about 2.5 mm eqm on UA and used to be perennial Gs's---until UA's service went into the toilet a few years ago. We just couldn't stand the lousy service, especially out of SFO. So we were content to stay at Platinum for life, which worked well since we were in Boarding Group 1 all the time. Our total spend on the big 3 legacies has been about $35K annually. AA gets the 12, DM gets the 15, and other carriers get what's left over. But we're not burning $12K for UA because the service just doesn't warrant it.

But, for the most part, we always purchased first class fares, whether discounted or not. We style ourselves too old to fly coach, and that is it. We always try to book row 1 so we can get on and off first, stow our luggage, and not have somebody in front of us reclining into our lap. We do it for AA and DL, too.

I dispute your contention that other worldwide airlines board elites before F/J customers international settings. I fly them, too, all over Europe and Asia, and I do not see that. My experience is the contrary.

So I'm damned if I'm an F passenger and going to board behind a 1K guy who didn't buy a first class ticket. Not gonna do that, and I think that differentiation is flat out nuts. Your argument for defending this carrier for doing this totally escapes me. I can afford to walk with my feet, and, assuredly, will do so if they propose this nonsense. Your thesis that I, and others, are upgraders from cheap fares is short sighted and ill founded. You should consider otherwise.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by riphamilton
very pleased that golds are no longer mixed in with credit card holders.
Me too! Now if we could just get silvers in there. It's been said a million times: it is utterly idiotic that UA treats 25k mile flyers and credit card holders alike! And as you may have guessed, I'll be falling back to Silver next year.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by riphamilton
very pleased that golds are no longer mixed in with credit card holders.
This is HUGE. As a MM'er *G, a change I REALLY like.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FullFare
We both have about 2.5 mm eqm on UA and used to be perennial Gs's---until UA's service went into the toilet a few years ago. We just couldn't stand the lousy service, especially out of SFO. So we were content to stay at Platinum for life, which worked well since we were in Boarding Group 1 all the time. Our total spend on the big 3 legacies has been about $35K annually. AA gets the 12, DM gets the 15, and other carriers get what's left over. But we're not burning $12K for UA because the service just doesn't warrant it.

So I'm damned if I'm an F passenger and going to board behind a 1K guy who didn't buy a first class ticket. Not gonna do that, and I think that differentiation is flat out nuts. Your argument for defending this carrier for doing this totally escapes me. I can afford to walk with my feet, and, assuredly, will do so if they propose this nonsense. Your thesis that I, and others, are upgraders from cheap fares is short sighted and ill founded. You should consider otherwise.
So - when I read your post, and I'm trying to say this nicely, I don't think you are the type of customer UA really wants anyway. You are clearly unhappy with UA - it is a last resort - and you are an infrequent flier of the airline. The planes are full, you don't buy the ticket, someone else.

I guess I'll counter your argument that UA would probably prefer to make me happy - and other 1K's - over First class fliers who are infrequent fliers.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2018 at 5:49 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I have to disagree with this - and in my opinion there are far more GS and 1K's than ever before.

I can only go by my direct experience - but I'm way farther down the waitlist than I ever have been before - which in my unscientific theory tells me there are more GS and 1K's on expensive tickets ahead of me. If I don't upgrade for cash or outright buy to a premium cabin, I'm often 10 or 15+ down the upgrade list - I just didn't have that happen prior to a year or two ago.
I don't think there are more GS. There may be more 1Ks as people travel more. However, this has nothing to do with the waitlist. They are selling first cheap, up-selling it, etc. and upgrades are way down. Even as GS I rarely get upgraded domestically. Two weeks ago I flew DEN-SJC on an expensive M fare and didn't get upgraded. They have also seem to have changed the list to not show checkmarks for people that got upgraded ahead of 24 hours.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by FullFare
I dispute your contention that other worldwide airlines board elites before F/J customers international settings. I fly them, too, all over Europe and Asia, and I do not see that. My experience is the contrary.
ANA certainly boards their Diamonds before J (on a flight without F.)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by TomA
Probably a good idea for 1Ks to take a copy of that email they sent out and have it ready with your boarding pass.

Also according to the email I received, this rolls out nationwide tomorrow.
I’m gonna do that right now for tomorrow’s flight.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by nova08
Downgrade for anyone who purchased in the F/J cabin and not top tier elite. Now boarding with a group that can easily be 50 deep, of course that is going to encourage gate lice. And premium overhead bin space is definitely an issue in the smaller aircraft especially the 175's.

Where did the premium cabin paxs fall in PMUA boarding?
IIRC, it was GS and F, followed by 1K and C on the red carpet (I could be wrong). In the regular lane, 1Ps lined up first.

Wasn't the argument with this that there were too many boarding groups and people didn't get it?
They specifically say "less crowding" in the email. They also mention "balanced groups and better recognition" on their Introducing Better Boarding page. They can't have it both ways. In order to have less crowding and balanced groups, they need to spread the passengers over more groups. My suggested order simply provides a name to the new group they've already added for 1Ks. (Ok, so I've also reshuffled things to what I think is more balanced... ) My proposal also meets the better recognition part of their mantra - F/J (over most elites in Y), 1Ks (over Plats), Golds (over Silvers), and Silvers (over $95 cc holders). The one good thing that UA did was to move Golds ahead of cc holders, but they really should do more and treat those $3k Silvers better; it seems AA at least gets that part right.

Yes, in both UA's new process and my own suggestions, Plats get shafted a bit, but honestly, UA's just aligning itself with its competitors - all board their 75K tiers with the 50K tiers (AA, AC, AS, DL). What these airlines don't do, however, is board premium cabin pax with those mid-tier elites. AFAIK, every airline manages to board F/J either with or ahead of top tier elites (excluding invitation only levels), so UA's new method is a sure way to P off... err, annoy (and drive away) paid F & J, like kokonutz.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Yes, if you are going to effectively treat paid first and business class customers as group six you are going to lose many of those customers, myself included.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
departed SNA today. Gate agent rapid fired off GS and 1K in the same breath, skipping the young children under 2. Barely took a step forward before a few other 1Ks rushed up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.