Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by roxie

The pre-boarding process you've given is correct, however according to a gate supervisor I recently spoke with the order is up to the gate agent.
This response can't be a surprise to anyone who reads this thread.

Personally, I'd be surprised if gate agents had no discretion or empowerment whatsoever based on market and the current situation at the gate.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Wrote to the GS desk yesterday. Being told that the order is up to the gate agent
I'm surprised at the level of venom that's being directed at UA on this issue. Does every Denny's Manager nationally handle the queue the same way on Sunday morning?

Do we really expect GAs to handle boarding in Orlando FL (family heavy) the same way they'd handle boarding at a Fortress Hub like SFO (business heavy)?

Half the time we rip UA for not applying common sense on operational matters, then when they try, we rip them for not adhering to a rigid process. Can't have it both ways...
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
That customer service agent did not even understand your concern as I'm sure that your concern was not the order of boarding for the unaccompanied minors.........
+1 - sounds like a typical canned reply where the original complaint was not even understood.

I can't imagine there are policies where an airport employee can just override said policies at their personal pleasure - what's the point of having policies in the first place?

What if a flight attendant said:

1. I don't feel like serving food or beverages on the flight - I'm tired
2. Wifi is dangerous, so I am turning it off
3. I prefer to hold first class overhead space for crew and non-revs
etc etc

Policies are policies for a reason - I would write back and ask for a clarification.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly

Half the time we rip UA for not applying common sense on operational matters, then when they try, we rip them for not adhering to a rigid process. Can't have it both ways...
Well - it is FT after all, of course everyone wants to have it both ways.

Of course we want to say we want agents to be empowered during sickness/death situations, give hotels to 1K during weather events, empower FA's to give ETC's inflight, give large ETC's for VDB's when they probably didn't need to start that high, have large flexibility during IRROPS, give BoB to F pax, etc - but not empowered to be in charge of the boarding process based on the situation at hand.....
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
+1 - sounds like a typical canned reply where the original complaint was not even understood.

I can't imagine there are policies where an airport employee can just override said policies at their personal pleasure - what's the point of having policies in the first place?

etc etc

Policies are policies for a reason - I would write back and ask for a clarification.
I can't remember where it was but I am sure someone will know, possibly in LAS. The boarding process was posted on the screens at the start of boarding and the GA just went down the list as it was posted. No fuss, no muss, no errors. Why can't they all do this given the comments on this thread. Personally it isn't a big issue for me for reasons already posted I often just board at the last call for boarding.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nomad420
I can't remember where it was but I am sure someone will know, possibly in LAS. The boarding process was posted on the screens at the start of boarding and the GA just went down the list as it was posted. No fuss, no muss, no errors. Why can't they all do this given the comments on this thread.
Because when there are 15 strollers in the boarding area, each taking the space of three adults, it makes sense to get them out of the way ASAP...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Because when there are 15 strollers in the boarding area, each taking the space of three adults, it makes sense to get them out of the way ASAP...
That's still always an option.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I'm surprised at the level of venom that's being directed at UA on this issue. Does every Denny's Manager nationally handle the queue the same way on Sunday morning?

Do we really expect GAs to handle boarding in Orlando FL (family heavy) the same way they'd handle boarding at a Fortress Hub like SFO (business heavy)?

I'm not as emotionally invested or as upset about it as some but if there's a boarding policy -- let alone a boarding policy displayed during boarding on the gate displays I think it's reasonable to expect compliance. Being a creature of consistency I certainly would prefer the same process at SFO and MCO (and RIC and FAT and EWR and...); conversely I don't think Denny's has a queue management policy displayed at their entrances [but I also haven't been in a Denny's in at least 5 years and have never actually seen a queue]. WN manages to pull off the same boarding system wide, family or business heavy.

etc etc

Ummm... based on some of the other posts on FT I'm pretty sure #1 and #3 happen with some regularity (Or at least I take "short duration of this flight" being shorthand for "I'm tired" when other crews on the same route, aircraft type, and weather conditions manage to pull off a full service)... wouldn't be surprised if #2 has happened but not been explicitly announced as such.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
<snip> according to a gate supervisor I recently spoke with<snip>
So the GS desk has to speak to a gate supervisor to ask about a published policy? And on top of that, respond to the (high value) customer with the gate supervisor's answer that is contrary to the published policy? Why have a policy then?

If they applied common sense across the board, I'd imagine that there wouldn't be as many complaints.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:37 am

This wouldn't be an issue if UA had a reasonable process AND stuck to it, regardless of which airport one was at. If your kids can walk onto the aircraft on their own, you don't need more time to board.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I had an experience recently where we showed up to the gate at the published boarding time, and they were already boarding from lane 2 (I don't know what group they were on).

It luckily didn't matter since we just had backpacks, though I'll note the J bins were completely full when we boarded (and there was a later battlefield upgrade, so we weren't even the last ones on board in J).

But I'm sure if I ever show up 15 minutes early to guarantee my proper boarding position, there will be a 45 minute boarding delay. Just can't win
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But I'm sure if I ever show up 15 minutes early to guarantee my proper boarding position, there will be a 45 minute boarding delay. Just can't win
In theory the "We're now boarding your flight to XXX from gate YY" push notifications* would help with this -- except the push notification usually comes when I'm already somewhere between 1/2 way down the jetway and comfortably seated.

Three ways it could be improved, IMO:
- Easiest/least customer friendly: Generate a push notification if boarding will be delayed.
- Similarly easy, more customer friendly: When the agents flip the flight to "boarding soon" status (T-10 from boarding start?) send out a similar notification.
- More difficult, most customer friendly (though with some privacy implications I consider minor but others may not): Use fine geolocation in the app to determine customer's position and approximate walk time/distance. Post boarding delays more proactively. Let automation decide an appropriate time delta to generate notification based on estimated actual boarding time (regardless of if it is early, on time, late) to allow the customer to move from their current position (e.g. club, bar, ...) to the gate and arrive at / slightly before boarding.

(Incidentally, based on texts I've gotten at LAX and IAH recently there may be the beginnings of a move to something similar - just without the realtimey-ness of knowing my exact location -- " Welcome to Houston! You'll arrive at gate C9. Your next flight (number) to (city) departs at gate C15 at 4:22pm. It takes about 5 minutes to get to gate C15.")

*- Sometimes I get them as a text, some times it's a notification from the app, sometimes both; when it first rolled out it was consistently app only, then it became text only, now it seems completely random. Can't figure out why since all of the flights are booked from UA.com with my MP profile.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
In theory the "We're now boarding your flight to XXX from gate YY" push notifications* would help with this -- except the push notification usually comes when I'm already somewhere between 1/2 way down the jetway and comfortably seated.....
Maybe it's your app? My push notifications always hit just prior to boarding disabled, or as disabled boarding begins - I am not sure, but it probably keys off something the GA enters in SHARES to enable the boarding pass readers and prepare the flight for boarding.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it's your app? My push notifications always hit just prior to boarding disabled, or as disabled boarding begins - I am not sure, but it probably keys off something the GA enters in SHARES to enable the boarding pass readers and prepare the flight for boarding.
If it's something the GA does, it'd almost certainly be in Aero, not SHARES. That said, mine tend to arrive more or less immediately after the first person boards the aircraft, no matter how many pre-boards there are, so I'm guessing it's tied to that.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
,,, More difficult, most customer friendly (though with some privacy implications I consider minor but others may not): Use fine geolocation in the app to determine customer's position ....
There are all sorts of opportunities with this approach -
1. Figure out who still has their phone in normal mode after a plane has started taxiing, (Text - "Hey you, put your phone in airplane mode")
2. Confirm claimed flat-tire rule was justified.
3. See who's in the bar when boarding starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.