Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
It reflect a broader, longstanding problem at UA, of employees not knowing/following published company procedures. Pretty common with FAs and phone agents as well. Ultimately, it's a management failing.
Concur. Lack of leadership, plain and simple.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Not sure if this is sarcasm or serious. It's been close to 5 years since I've been through BOS with UA, but my experience was the self boarding gates were disasters, substantially slowed down boarding, and caused more work for GAs (granted this was also right around the time they rolled them out). The more work for GAs was odd because these were supposed to be part of a QI project to reduce the number of GA's needed to get a flight out from 2 to 1.33.
The BOS cattle chutes remain a disaster. I had to go through them about a week ago. Not only do people not understand them, a good 20% of the BPs don't work, exit row BPs confuse people completely, and the mere presence of these TSA-style chutes just screams "we don't trust you."
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The BOS cattle chutes remain a disaster. I had to go through them about a week ago. Not only do people not understand them, a good 20% of the BPs don't work, exit row BPs confuse people completely, and the mere presence of these TSA-style chutes just screams "we don't trust you."
Yet in Europe, they have managed to make these work everywhere I've been - LHR, FRA, STR, MUC, etc.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by bdw1120
And I would say that's exactly when enforcing GS pre-boarding matters the most. Getting stuck on the jetbridge behind endless strollers and babies is not fun.
I am not debating you on this point - just look at it both ways.
Do you want strollers or families taking 20 minutes to sit down Jr, JrJr, Grandma and a bunch of regular passengers after them. Or allow the families strollers to board into coach (maybe higher number rows) and board elite/premium passengers after them which likely can/will sit down quickly due to lower row #s ? I don't think there is a good formula as I've seen disabled (and removing the wheel chair) take forever while jetbridge is unsafely crowded. Narrow body planes and many many compact seats causes the backlog.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by halls120
Yet in Europe, they have managed to make these work everywhere I've been - LHR, FRA, STR, MUC, etc.
Cool! Glad to hear you say that whatever works in Europe should work in the US.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wxguy
I did that at IAD once, iluv2fly. The GA said, "I called families with children, not GS. Please wait in line." I said, "The monitor above your head shows GS before families." She replied, "That's not how I do it."
My response to such open and outrageous retorts from staff - "I detect and report variations from company policy to my UA account manager for escalation to management. Look forward to a call from your supervisor. That's how I do it."
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I am not debating you on this point - just look at it both ways.
Do you want strollers or families taking 20 minutes to sit down Jr, JrJr, Grandma and a bunch of regular passengers after them. Or allow the families strollers to board into coach (maybe higher number rows) and board elite/premium passengers after them which likely can/will sit down quickly due to lower row #s ? I don't think there is a good formula as I've seen disabled (and removing the wheel chair) take forever while jetbridge is unsafely crowded. Narrow body planes and many many compact seats causes the backlog.
I want to go first as Jr Jr Grandma, kid, etc come with entirely too many bags that all get stuffed in the overhead over where I sit.

I want to get on the plane first-- settle into my seat with my bags directly above me.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bocastephen
My response to such open and outrageous retorts from staff - "I detect and report variations from company policy to my UA account manager for escalation to management. Look forward to a call from your supervisor. That's how I do it."
I had that or a similar GA last year at IAD too. Even took a photo of her and sent the complaint to GS.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jp12687
I want to go first as Jr Jr Grandma, kid, etc come with entirely too many bags that all get stuffed in the overhead over where I sit.

I want to get on the plane first-- settle into my seat with my bags directly above me.
Nods in agreement as I have no come back/respond to that one as I've experienced this exact scenario and you are 100% correct.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wrote to the GS desk yesterday. Being told that the order is up to the gate agent.

I'm writing to express my dissatisfaction with the pre-boarding process actually used on many United flights versus United's published pre-boarding process.
The published pre-boarding process is:
Unaccompanied minors
Customers with disabilities
Active members of the military
United Global Services® members
Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
Premier® 1K® members

I assume that each group in the pre-boarding list should be called one at a time, in the order listed, and the next group not called until the previous group is complete. However, on many occasions, this order is not followed, with families with children age 2 and younger called before Global Services, and many times 1K and Global Services being called together at the end.

I'd ask that United provide additional training to gate agents to reinforce the importance of following the boarding policy as it has been written.

REPLY -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. xxxxxx,

I'm sorry to read about your concerns about our new boarding process. It is not our intention to cause you dissatisfaction.

The pre-boarding process you've given is correct, however according to a gate supervisor I recently spoke with the order is up to the gate agent. They may or may not call unaccompanied minors. It is at their discretion to just board them.

Your loyalty and feedback are very important to us. I've filed your feedback with our Marketing team for their review.

On behalf of United Airlines and Global Services, we value your business, as well as your feedback and look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Best Regards,
Global Services
Customer Care
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Nods in agreement as I have no come back/respond to that one as I've experienced this exact scenario and you are 100% correct.
if I got 15 minutes with Oscar I would tell him that his airline’s refusal to guarantee the customer who purchases a F seat overhead storage above said seat is simply inexplicable. Before the merger, I remained in the RCC until the last minute in order to avoid the boarding scrum. I’d go back to that practice If I knew space was reserved.

I’d spend the next 10 minutes asking him why UA decided to cheapen Polaris. It had so much promise....
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by roxie
Wrote to the GS desk yesterday. Being told that the order is up to the gate agent.

I'm writing to express my dissatisfaction with the pre-boarding process actually used on many United flights versus United's published pre-boarding process.
The published pre-boarding process is:
Unaccompanied minors
Customers with disabilities
Active members of the military
United Global Services® members
Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
Premier® 1K® members

I assume that each group in the pre-boarding list should be called one at a time, in the order listed, and the next group not called until the previous group is complete. However, on many occasions, this order is not followed, with families with children age 2 and younger called before Global Services, and many times 1K and Global Services being called together at the end.

I'd ask that United provide additional training to gate agents to reinforce the importance of following the boarding policy as it has been written.

REPLY -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. xxxxxx,

I'm sorry to read about your concerns about our new boarding process. It is not our intention to cause you dissatisfaction.

The pre-boarding process you've given is correct, however according to a gate supervisor I recently spoke with the order is up to the gate agent. They may or may not call unaccompanied minors. It is at their discretion to just board them.

Your loyalty and feedback are very important to us. I've filed your feedback with our Marketing team for their review.

On behalf of United Airlines and Global Services, we value your business, as well as your feedback and look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Best Regards,
Global Services
Customer Care
That customer service agent did not even understand your concern as I'm sure that your concern was not the order of boarding for the unaccompanied minors.........
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by roxie
...according to a gate supervisor I recently spoke with the order is up to the gate agent.

<snip>

Customer Care
Yikes!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
That customer service agent did not even understand your concern as I'm sure that your concern was not the order of boarding for the unaccompanied minors.........
You're right, I don't know why they specifically brought up th eunaccompanied minors thing.

So they talk to one gate supervisor and tell me it is up to the gate agent which order to follow? I can't believe they would publish a policy like this and leave it to the gate agent. So much for a consistent customer experience.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
As Global I still have !k's running over me to get on board ahead of me 1 in 4 times I board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.