Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Yet another post marveling at how efficient boarding is at NRT. Disabled, GS, and families with <3yr old children called forward early, scanned, and positioned by the jetway door, so as soon as plane ready to pre-board, they proceed. GA's wait a bit, then call 1K's who have a pre-boarding lane (see photo). Lanes are strictly enforced.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:29 pm

Why can’t gate agents get boarding correct?

i mean they have video help.

today I had an agent go around and ask 1 person who looked like they were disabled if they wanted to board. Then announced families with kids 2 and under.

I ask “what about global” to which she then calls “1k and global”

it was a cluster...at ewr a hub they should be able to get this right.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by jp12687

today I had an agent go around and ask 1 person who looked like they were disabled if they wanted to board. Then announced families with kids 2 and under.

A pet peeve of mine. Happens at EWR and ORD. "We now invite GS and 1K's to board."

If they call families before GS, I go up there and give them my BP. If they should say something, I would let them know that GS board before families and they must have forgotten that.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
One thing I do not understand is why UA does not take the boarding process at BOS - which always seems to run quite smoothly, and has those automatic gates for scanning BPs as well - and export that to their hubs. It would make life a lot easier (as well as meaning UA would be less reliant on GAs making up the rules as they go along).
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Haha, I think I had the same GA at EWR last week! Never did get around to announcing active military.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:21 pm

At least as a 1K - I would write in to 1kvoice and complain if you get screwed over on boarding order. I did that and got a $250 ETC. It’s definitely a perk of status...if they can’t get it right, I think it’s quite fair to point it out.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
When they redid the groups last year, they really should've made Group 1 be 1K and business passengers and moved everyone else down a group, and I say that as someone who is only plat.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
A pet peeve of mine. Happens at EWR and ORD. "We now invite GS and 1K's to board."

If they call families before GS, I go up there and give them my BP. If they should say something, I would let them know that GS board before families and they must have forgotten that.
I did that at IAD once, iluv2fly. The GA said, "I called families with children, not GS. Please wait in line." I said, "The monitor above your head shows GS before families." She replied, "That's not how I do it."
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by swiftaw
When they redid the groups last year, they really should've made Group 1 be 1K and business passengers and moved everyone else down a group, and I say that as someone who is only plat.
I agree as someone who's only a gold. Maybe make 3 just for CC holders and buy-up general members (because we all know how much UA loves the upsell at TOD/OLCI), with 2 being Silver/Gold (Plat? Not sure where they should fit). Really haven't been a fan of how it seems like Group 2 is everyone with a pulse these days as someone who occasionally likes to take their time before boarding.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I think from GA don't know the flight/passengers. E.g. a flight to SFO LAX ORD IAH it is important to maintain order of status during boarding to clear out the gate area for better order of remaining groups.
However, for a flight to MCO or vacation destination - they may choose to clear out families if many exist to clear out the gate area. As they don't always follow order anyway and just assume they board early for strollers and GA tries to avoid rejecting them. It is a weird dichotomy depending on destination.
Another angle - I've boarded flights to FL destination and the many handicap/wheelchair/disabled should require pre-pre boarding like 15 minutes prior to general announcements due to the quantity vs. other destinations with 0 qualified disabled.

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jul 8, 2019 at 9:39 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
One thing I do not understand is why UA does not take the boarding process at BOS - which always seems to run quite smoothly, and has those automatic gates for scanning BPs as well - and export that to their hubs. It would make life a lot easier (as well as meaning UA would be less reliant on GAs making up the rules as they go along).
Not sure if this is sarcasm or serious. It's been close to 5 years since I've been through BOS with UA, but my experience was the self boarding gates were disasters, substantially slowed down boarding, and caused more work for GAs (granted this was also right around the time they rolled them out). The more work for GAs was odd because these were supposed to be part of a QI project to reduce the number of GA's needed to get a flight out from 2 to 1.33.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
However, for a flight to MCO or vacation destination - they may choose to clear out families if many exist to clear out the gate area. As they don't always follow order anyway and just assume they board early for strollers and GA tries to avoid rejected them. It is a weird dichotomy depending on destination.
And I would say that's exactly when enforcing GS pre-boarding matters the most. Getting stuck on the jetbridge behind endless strollers and babies is not fun.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
At least as a 1K - I would write in to 1kvoice and complain if you get screwed over on boarding order. I did that and got a $250 ETC. It’s definitely a perk of status...if they can’t get it right, I think it’s quite fair to point it out.
i’m finding them to be very stingy these days on giving ETC’s.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why can’t gate agents get boarding correct?
It reflect a broader, longstanding problem at UA, of employees not knowing/following published company procedures. Pretty common with FAs and phone agents as well. Ultimately, it's a management failing.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:08 pm

i’m finding them to be very stingy these days on giving ETC’s.
Speak for yourself. The last few times I have written in, I have been given very fair ETCs even though I did not even ask for compensation in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.