Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It is my understanding from a legal perspective pre-boarding for disabled before all other passengers is for those who self identify at the gate and must be specifically requested
That is both my reading of the DOT's guidance for preboarding [and it seems an actual PA announcement isn't required only highly recommended if they make announcements for other types of preboards] see the guidance/interpretation for the regulation at https://www.transportation.gov/sites...%20Final_0.pdf (the regulation itself can be found at 14 CFR 382.93 https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/382.93)

It is the Enforcement Office’s view that section 382.93 requires carriers to board passengers with disabilities who self-identify at the gate as needing to preboard for one of the listed reasons to board the plane before all other passengers, including first class passengers, elite-level passengers, members of the military, passengers with small children, etc.

Originally Posted by PBIFLL
It seems like FLL GA's cant follow policy. Had one that did handicapped, kids under 2 and then everyone else (total scrum). When i asked him about it he was dismissive. usual reply from GS about following policy and contacting FLL but this cant be that hard to do right.
FWIW and possibly OT... if you email Oscar it does filter through the management chain (corporate, region, station).

Had a group of my favorite agents in my home airport really go above and beyond when my wife's grandfather was on his deathbed to comfort her and her dad and get them across the country as quickly as possible [I was out of the country on business and didn't realize how dire things really were when I sent them West]

I sent an email to the regional director/GM but felt I should do more to recognize their awesomeness. Sent an email to Oscar which got forwarded to executive customer care and a somewhat generic response... But the next time I passed through the UC a framed copy of my letter was behind the desk and quite a bit of thanks from the agents involved.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
1K preboarding was completely forgotten on my DEN-MEM flight today. At least it was a CRJ7, so there was more overhead space to store bags...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
MKE-EWR - preboarded folks with disabilities and then went straight to Group 1 boarding. Why even bother stating that is a benefit of being 1K? That makes 2 out of 6 segments on this trip I have been on where it hasn’t been used.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UAL Million Miler, AA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's
UAL boarding process/overlooks FC

Echoing many here re the mad rush to board,just experienced it again this week. The pre boarding is still absolutely fine and respected, but then 1k's are called but not "First Class", just group 1. Am MM/gold and pay for my ticket for the privilege, but realize I gotta be at the gate reeeeeeealy early and be prepared to be bypassed anyway. Too bad. UA needs to reinstate the "First" call. Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
Additionally:
If a pre-boarding GS/1K happens to sit in E, there's no issue of them taking away OHB space of the F customer who boards later, and if the pre-boarding GS/1K is sitting in F, well, then they should have a slight edge over the non-status or lower status F customer, IMO.
It's really a non-issue.
Originally Posted by Susann
Echoing many here re the mad rush to board,just experienced it again this week. The pre boarding is still absolutely fine and respected, but then 1k's are called but not "First Class", just group 1. Am MM/gold and pay for my ticket for the privilege, but realize I gotta be at the gate reeeeeeealy early and be prepared to be bypassed anyway. Too bad. UA needs to reinstate the "First" call. Thanks.
Exactly. The issue isn't "1K boards before F", it's that F has to fight with *G.

I'm totally in favor of giving 1K in F priority over me in F. I'm mostly indifferent to 1K in Y, since it doesn't affect me as long as they don't poach bin space.

But when I arrive at the gate for a 16 seat F cabin, and there are 45 people already in the group 1 line, it really makes me wonder what I'm paying for. Because I'd still be in the same line if I'd bought basic economy.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
But when I arrive at the gate for a 16 seat F cabin, and there are 45 people already in the group 1 line, it really makes me wonder what I'm paying for. Because I'd still be in the same line if I'd bought basic economy.
Bigger seat?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Bigger seat?
For me that's the biggest benefit of F -- I can actually be productive in a F seat whereas in economy I don't have the elbow-room.

Beyond that:
Food/snack?
Free Alcohol?
Extra Checked Bag for non-elites?
Lower FA-to-passenger and passenger-to-bathroom ratios?
More recline?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
...But when I arrive at the gate for a 16 seat F cabin, and there are 45 people already in the group 1 line, it really makes me wonder what I'm paying for. Because I'd still be in the same line if I'd bought basic economy.
I guess you can buy a coach ticket and save money if you’re not getting “what you paid for”. I often board last (ie after BG5) when I’m F. Maybe UA should credit me the difference between coach and first?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Susann
UA ought to copy LH. On our A346 flight to FRA, this was the boarding order:

passengers in wheelchairs
First
Business
*gold
passengers with children under 5 years old
economy

LH respects passengers that pay for F and C. ^
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120

LH respects passengers that pay for F and C.
Next time I fly HNL-SFO or SFO-ORD, I guess I'll check out LH
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat

First
Business
*gold
economy

same with Delta, they board Diamond (1K) & First before the mid-tier elites in coach .

Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Meanwhile, UA gives precedence to pax who spend at least $15k on UA tickets per year, versus the one-time buyer of a $195 P fare.

This debate will go on forever, but UA's approach is perfectly rational (even if, as a former 1K, you now find it personally less favorable).

I will add as well that I find UA's boarding process far less unpleasant than the typical LH free-for-all.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

First
Business
*gold
economy

But if you are continuing to somewhere else in Europe from FRA on LH, they only have two lines: Business and *Gold in one line, Economy in the other. Naturally, passengers in wheelchairs were the first to board. I did not see when the passengers with children under 5 years old boarded as I boarded in the first group for my Economy seat. They did send back to the other line some passengers that were trying to board in the wrong line. But it was more of a language problem than trying to beat the system.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I will add as well that I find UA's boarding process far less unpleasant than the typical LH free-for-all.
My sample of LH (and LH-group flights) is far from scientific -- being solely intra-Europe and FRA to/from DXB -- but it seems like LH has a much smaller number of elites/Business travelers than UA does -- I think my last *G boarding call there was maybe a half dozen of us. And the GAs have been more effusive at their thanks to us for us being *G than I'm used to seeing on UA as well... but generally boarding seems chaotic and given that 50% of the time you're just the first to get on a bus that's not going anywhere until it's full, its a bit illusory anyway.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
but generally boarding seems chaotic and given that 50% of the time you're just the first to get on a bus that's not going anywhere until it's full, its a bit illusory anyway.
And, then, when the bus doors open near the plane, there's the free-for-all rush to the plane that Kacee mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.