Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
1K gate lousing getting out of hand

On my last 5 it 6 flights it’s been an absolute nuisance, with a tight phalanx of 1ks completely occluding the preboard area — like 5 feet from the counter. For a while I was just hanging back thinking they might actually be GS — ending up boarding 20th or so. Now I plow through and ask if people are GS. Of course none of them are. UA should probably fix this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by porciuscato

On my last 5 it 6 flights it’s been an absolute nuisance, with a tight phalanx of 1ks completely occluding the preboard area — like 5 feet from the counter. For a while I was just hanging back thinking they might actually be GS — ending up boarding 20th or so. Now I plow through and ask if people are GS. Of course none of them are. UA should probably fix this.
Yeah - just board the 1Ks first, since they're such a crowd in the pre-board area. Then it will be clear sailing for GSs
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
One flight last week I counted and as paid F Group 1 I was the 29th person to board (I was 4th in the Group 1 lane). I travel light so overhead space (320) was not an issue for me but being 29th seemed a bit like flying WN.

Last night F boarded after "economy" Groups 1 and 2. They even called "all GS seated in economy" which made me chuckle (F boarding was delayed due to cleaning/servicing aircraft (757)).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Boarding PHL-ORD yesterday, when the GA called 1K's to board, she said "This is not the same as 'Group 1.' If you are not a Premier 1K, you should not board yet.'"
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255
Boarding PHL-ORD yesterday, when the GA called 1K's to board, she said "This is not the same as 'Group 1.' If you are not a Premier 1K, you should not board yet.'"
I've observed that BG1 often surges forward when they hear the "1" in 1K. It's almost 100% of the time at any Hawaii airport because the first people in line tend to be leisure travelers who bought F tickets for a "trip of a lifetime" and have been standing at the head of the line for a half-hour before boarding starts.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I firmly believe that people act as gate lice because of no obvious enforcement of carry-on. The ridiculous sizes/amounts that people bring on mean they want to ensure they get their luggage on. I get tired seeing people do the wheel of shame when it all could have been nipped in the bud.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Lately I have found that if I start to head over from the lounge when I get the boarding notification on the app, I arrive around the end of group 1 boarding and just walk right on as a 1 while group 2 is boarding with plenty of bin space still available. This seems the closest to how the red/blue carpets used to work for mid-level elites and allows you to always hop the main queue--no licing required.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have to say the process is working great AFAIC even though I dropped from 1K to Group 1. At least at hubs, I find the 1 line is much less crowded than it used to be since 1Ks got bumped up to preboard.

I do like the boarding notification, too - it's a good backstop if you lose track of time.

When i was 1K my only complaint is that the preboard line or entrance is rarely clearly marked so you have to guess where to stand if you are 1K. But this is the least of my issues with UA these days...
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have to say the process is working great AFAIC even though I dropped from 1K to Group 1. At least at hubs, I find the 1 line is much less crowded than it used to be since 1Ks got bumped up to preboard.

I do like the boarding notification, too - it's a good backstop if you lose track of time.

When i was 1K my only complaint is that the preboard line or entrance is rarely clearly marked so you have to guess where to stand if you are 1K. But this is the least of my issues with UA these days...
The boarding notice is cool but I'm not ready to trust it just yet. But there is hope...UA IT seems to be on a roll lately with flight credit posting shortly after a completed flight.

My experience as a fellow Plat is that Group 1 got huge with the addition of Golds (more Golds than 1Ks?) IME, the Golds act more entitled than the 1Ks did and like to push past others in the same line.

I think the 1K boarding experience varies by airport and gate. IMO it's a big mistake to not give them a labeled lane as they are typically the largest "preboard" group. But in the end we're all getting on the plane so I suppose it works out.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atword
....My experience as a fellow Plat is that Group 1 got huge with the addition of Golds (more Golds than 1Ks?) IME, the Golds act more entitled than the 1Ks did and like to push past others in the same line....
Well, in turn, some of my fellow 1Ks seem to feel they are more entitled than others in the pre-board group now that they’ve moved up.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, in turn, some of my fellow 1Ks seem to feel they are more entitled than others in the pre-board group now that they’ve moved up.
(bolding mine)

How so?

I am finding the overall 1K pre-board a neat idea, but poorly executed. Not always obvious where to "line up".
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Pre-boarded this week and the lady at the front of Group 1 (who had probably been standing there for half an hour) started screaming that I was cutting the line - so that everyone within 100 feet could hear.

I showed her my boarding pass with the GS designation, but she didn’t seem to care, and turned to the rest of the line and said “Unbelievable, he could have asked to cut in front at least... not even an apology!”

Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
Pre-boarded this week and the lady at the front of Group 1 (who had probably been standing there for half an hour) started screaming that I was cutting the line - so that everyone within 100 feet could hear.

I showed her my boarding pass with the GS designation, but she didn’t seem to care, and turned to the rest of the line and said “Unbelievable, he could have asked to cut in front at least... not even an apology!”

I'm surprised you would even acknowledge someone like that, let alone try to justify yourself. I would just ignore such absurdity.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm surprised you would even acknowledge someone like that, let alone try to justify yourself. I would just ignore such absurdity.
This. In spades.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm not a GS (and don't want to be) and I agree..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.