Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Flying out LAS-DEN a couple of days ago, the gate agent actually individually called out the name of each 1K member one-by-one to pre-board (there were 6 or 7 of us). We had just arrived at the gate so I don't know if he did the same for GS.
They did that for me too when I flew LAS-DEN on 12/26/18. Maybe it's a LAS thing? They also did it for GS. They did not identify us as GS or 1K, they just called us by name. I only knew who was GS and who was 1K because I am familiar with the new boarding order.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I flew to and from Japan with a GS this past weekend. On the way there, we boarded when they called GS (great process at SFO, by the way). On the way back, we arrived at the gate a bit after they called "all groups".

I guess we were more eager to leave SFO than Japan.
I had a similar experience at SFO yesterday. The gate agent literally waited a minute or more between each pre-boarding group to make sure everyone could work through the scrum and get up to the gate. Exactly the way the change was intended to be handled. Not every flight or airport has the same flexibility, but good to see that somebody did get the memo.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA300 SFO-HNL on the 772G today at Gate 82 . . . pre-boarding chaos. Not the GAs fault, just too many eligible pax. At least half a dozen military, maybe 5 GS with families, then another half dozen or more families with small children, followed by at least 30 1Ks. All told, somewhere between 50-75 people waiting to pre-board, totally clogged the walkway outside the gate.

Echoing other comments, they need to do something about the large number of 1Ks on widebody flights. Because currently you just get a large mass of 1K gate lice.

Also noticed that most of the 1Ks were in Y. These lie-flat flights have become next to impossible upgrades.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
...Also noticed that most of the 1Ks were in Y. These lie-flat flights have become next to impossible upgrades.
5 GS w/ families will quickly consume the upgrades (instrument/mileage/CPU).
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
5 GS w/ families will quickly consume the upgrades (instrument/mileage/CPU).
I don't think there were any (upgrades). Didn't see any families in F. Cabin booked 25/28 three weeks ago. $619 P fare, $710 for the Z.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there were any (upgrades)..
Wow. I wonder if hot BoB items ran out before they (GS and 1Ks) were all served.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:36 am

Wow. I wonder if hot BoB items ran out before they (GS and 1Ks) were all served.
There were also something like 40+ NRSA cleared, and still empty seats in Y. This aircraft has an imbalance of F:Y which really shows on the Hawaii routes, where there is just a ton of competition for the Y pax these days.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...This aircraft has an imbalance of F:Y which really shows on the Hawaii routes...
I'll be a most likely end up being a Y aisle passenger on that plane in March. I'll just have backpack, so will board last to avoid getting pounded by passing bags. I'll get to observe the entire pre-board scrum.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I'll be a most likely end up being a Y aisle passenger on that plane in March. I'll just have backpack, so will board last to avoid getting pounded by passing bags. I'll get to observe the entire pre-board scrum.
Let us know how the gate remodel/rework activities are going and how hard it is to get to the UC!

David
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Let us know how the gate remodel/rework activities are going and how hard it is to get to the UC!

David
It’s actually a 772 OGG-SFO 3/17 - won’t be going thru HNL. Will be in HNL next week, but not sure will visit UC.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Coming into Diamond Head concourse yesterday it was a mess . . . most of the exterior doors are now closed off.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Coming into Diamond Head concourse yesterday it was a mess . . . most of the exterior doors are now closed off.
<Yoda voice>
Dark is it, hmm?

David
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've noticed that they are policing the pre-boarding of 1K's more. Over the past month or so on maybe 5 flights, when they call 1K's to pre-board, they announce "There should only be ## 1K's lining up" and they proceed to count how many board.
On a flight tonight, when he called 1K's he said "You will need to provide your 1K card or give me your last name, I have the list on my screen". I was the first 1K to pre-board, as I approached the podium, he asked for my last name. I told him my last name as I scanned my BP, he actually reached out to stop me from scanning but he was too late.

There is ofcouse still confusion on every flight as to where I should stand or board from. The email says not to line up in the "1" line. I usually take whatever path the disabled/military/GS/families take. Ofcourse some 1K's line up in the "1" line anyways and when I end up going infront of them, they probably think I'm being a jerk. One time where the GA actually told all the pre-board people to get in group 1 which ofcourse made a mess. One time, the GS agent actually called each of the preboard groups (prior to pre-boarding) and lined us all up in the "1" line in order before "pre-boarding" began. I felt like I was flying WN. Maybe thats what they need to start doing.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:11 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
I've noticed that they are policing the pre-boarding of 1K's more. Over the past month or so on maybe 5 flights, when they call 1K's to pre-board, they announce "There should only be ## 1K's lining up" and they proceed to count how many board.
On a flight tonight, when he called 1K's he said "You will need to provide your 1K card or give me your last name, I have the list on my screen". I was the first 1K to pre-board, as I approached the podium, he asked for my last name. I told him my last name as I scanned my BP, he actually reached out to stop me from scanning but he was too late.
Seems easier for the GA to just look at the boarding pass that lists the status right there (quite large on paper BPs), but hey what do I know
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by S.R
Seems easier for the GA to just look at the boarding pass that lists the status right there (quite large on paper BPs), but hey what do I know
Also, I thought that if you scan your BP and you are boarding at the wrong time, there are beeping sounds and error messages

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.