Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
I wonder if the GS car for you at IAD was called from SFO as a service recovery attempt.
I sort of wonder how UA frontline staff feel about status pax. Like, was the GA thinking "oh no, I was really rude to a GS, I should probably fix this or I'll get in trouble"? Or just trying to recover out of pride for doing her job? I recently had an interaction with a GA at IAD which started with getting a BP print and she said something like "oh wow, you're 1K!" and devolved into a long conversation, but I was thinking "surely you see well over 100 of us every day". But perhaps there is some training where they are drilled to give status pax special recognition.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
I sort of wonder how UA frontline staff feel about status pax. Like, was the GA thinking "oh no, I was really rude to a GS, I should probably fix this or I'll get in trouble"? Or just trying to recover out of pride for doing her job? I recently had an interaction with a GA at IAD which started with getting a BP print and she said something like "oh wow, you're 1K!" and devolved into a long conversation, but I was thinking "surely you see well over 100 of us every day". But perhaps there is some training where they are drilled to give status pax special recognition.
I don't think there's an institutional standard but there are some agents who really take pride in what they're doing -- aside from most of my friends in CLE, there is one particularly bubbly/enjoyable GA in IAD that it's always fun to cross paths with. But she (the IAD GA) told me that that "true customer service" was part of her initial training 20-some-odd years ago and the "new hires don't get it anymore"

"Thank you for being a 1K" seems to be an endorsed recognition but anything beyond that is just two nice people having a conversation from what I've experienced that (and some agents are just grateful for a "thank you"/being treated like a fellow human from a GS/1K)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
"Thank you for being a 1K" seems to be an endorsed recognition but anything beyond that is just two nice people having a conversation from what I've experienced that (and some agents are just grateful for a "thank you"/being treated like a fellow human from a GS/1K)
Absolutely. I was more thinking of how genuine/warm the initial hook was (everyone at UA thanks me for being a 1K, but with most it's with the dull-ness of reading a script -- they've clearly been trained to thank status pax for their business). The rest was just chatting while we waited for the inbound. Maybe it was just that I was the first smiling face she'd seen in a while (flight was almost 2h00 down after all, I imagine some pax were upset about that), I don't know. It just had me idly wondering
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently flying LHR-EWR and the boarding was flawless. Also witnessed the same at the LHR-IAH and LHR-SFO gates.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
Originally Posted by TomMM
Currently flying LHR-EWR and the boarding was flawless. Also witnessed the same at the LHR-IAH and LHR-SFO gates.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
They should put sub-2 spawn at end of pre-boarding to provide a natural break between pre-boards and BG1. At SFO the other day (SFO-OGG), GA correctly announced in order, but probably about 3 families in boarding area weren't even getting their stuff together when she called for them. After watching them leisurely get up and start packing/gathering things, she called 1Ks ahead of them. They ended up boarding interspersed w/ BG1/BG2
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
NRT, as one would expect, is the model. They have a holding area for GS, and just behind it 1K. Today for the first time waiting for 78 I saw they put families with small children in a separate holding area. True that NRT gate areas are larger than most domestic gates, so it's easier to accomplish this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I don't think there's an institutional standard but there are some agents who really take pride in what they're doing -- aside from most of my friends in CLE, there is one particularly bubbly/enjoyable GA in IAD that it's always fun to cross paths with. But she (the IAD GA) told me that that "true customer service" was part of her initial training 20-some-odd years ago and the "new hires don't get it anymore"

Absolutely. I was more thinking of how genuine/warm the initial hook was (everyone at UA thanks me for being a 1K, but with most it's with the dull-ness of reading a script -- they've clearly been trained to thank status pax for their business). The rest was just chatting while we waited for the inbound. Maybe it was just that I was the first smiling face she'd seen in a while (flight was almost 2h00 down after all, I imagine some pax were upset about that), I don't know. It just had me idly wondering
I've wondered about that as well. I have noticed that there's a marked shift in the disposition of some agents when they pull up a reservation and see status. I've joked (and many a true word is spoken in jest ) that they don't treat me as fully human until they see 1K, although my sense is that it's not because of any explicit training.

Along those lines, I do wonder if experiences dealing with many discourteous passengers a day harden their demeanors, and if perhaps they treat higher status as a proxy for more knowledgeable — and easier to deal with — passengers. Of course that association can be wrong, but I think it may hold on average. Then, if you reciprocate, you can have an altogether pleasant interaction.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by prometa
Except in rare circumstances, there’s never enough preboarders except 1K to jam a gate. Ironically, families with young kids seem to lice the gate the least.

Since 1K is right before Group 1, UA should add a 1K line at all hubs, which would both give an assigned place for 1K to stand and help ensure the GA doesn’t call all 5 preboard groups at once.

Right now some 1K jam the door, some stand aside, and some line up in group 1, which leads to a rush.
+1. There's now no place for 1Ks to stand/wait/gather. Not a problem if it's not an elite-heavy flight/airport, but when it is (as happened to me today), 1Ks start boarding from all directions around the gate. No fights, but who goes first, the person from the left, the right, or scooting up through the BG1 line, because his BP says "BG1"?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
NRT, as one would expect, is the model. They have a holding area for GS, and just behind it 1K. Today for the first time waiting for 78 I saw they put families with small children in a separate holding area. True that NRT gate areas are larger than most domestic gates, so it's easier to accomplish this.
This is what I experienced at LHR yesterday.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
+1. There's now no place for 1Ks to stand/wait/gather. Not a problem if it's not an elite-heavy flight/airport, but when it is (as happened to me today), 1Ks start boarding from all directions around the gate. No fights, but who goes first, the person from the left, the right, or scooting up through the BG1 line, because his BP says "BG1"?
Some gates -- particularly at ORD -- they seem to have made this even worse by "penning" off the most logical preboard "staging" areas with stanchions one of the end C gates in particular they've killed a ton of floor space for no apparent reason making it even that much more awkward to tell who's actually trying to preboard vs. people just standing around.

(Rant: I would have hoped that fellow 1Ks -- or at least fellow 1Ks who have the handle wrap themselves -- would recognize that if I'm standing in close proximity to the gate and my bag has the yellow handle wrap I'm most likely waiting for the preboard call and wedging themselves directly in front of me without so much as acknowledging my presence, let alone asking is essentially an impolite queue jump)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by TomMM
I think we should ask the people organizing folks leaving the country to work on Brexit
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I think we should ask the people organizing folks leaving the country to work on Brexit
Please do not pollute this thread with that!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
The main problem I've observed is that '1k' and 'Group 1' both have a 1 in them. I tend to be on very elite heavy flights (my RPU got me to a whopping 10th on the upgrade list this weekend!), and it's not uncommon to have 5+ GS, 20-30 1k, and still have 50+ people in group 1 for domestic flights. On SFO-TPE the other day you could easily double those. The gate agents spend a lot of breath trying to explain to the people at the front of Group 1 that NO Group 1 is not boarding yet, 1K is boarding. But people hear the 1 and go nuts. They really ought to rename 1k, or use letters for groups. Who boards first, Group 1 or Group A?

There's also the fun story of the guy who couldn't believe how long the group 1 line was on a SFO-ORD flight. "Why are there 50 people here?! It's just business class isn't it?" No sir, and you haven't even seen how many people are gonna pre-board!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by zymm
The main problem I've observed is that '1k' and 'Group 1' both have a 1 in them. I tend to be on very elite heavy flights (my RPU got me to a whopping 10th on the upgrade list this weekend!), and it's not uncommon to have 5+ GS, 20-30 1k, and still have 50+ people in group 1 for domestic flights. On SFO-TPE the other day you could easily double those. The gate agents spend a lot of breath trying to explain to the people at the front of Group 1 that NO Group 1 is not boarding yet, 1K is boarding. But people hear the 1 and go nuts. They really ought to rename 1k, or use letters for groups. Who boards first, Group 1 or Group A?

There's also the fun story of the guy who couldn't believe how long the group 1 line was on a SFO-ORD flight. "Why are there 50 people here?! It's just business class isn't it?" No sir, and you haven't even seen how many people are gonna pre-board!
The really simple solution would be to designate 1Ks at Group 1, and shift all the other groups down one - i.e., BG1 (Plat, Gold, remaining premium cabin travelers) is now BG2.

Someone well upthread speculated that this very obvious and easy fix may be caused by some contractual Chase CC obligation to allow CC holders to board in "Group 2" (but if so, that was a stupid contract term and they should just add a group zero).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.