Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Flew out of D1 at IAD this morning; no one (and I mean no one) was lined up at any of the lines. A few of us were waiting off to the side of the gate, and the GA said, "1Ks? Can I get you to step up here, and I'll close off the preboard area..."
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I had my first "real" (actually elite-heavy) flight with the new boarding procedure where I was at the gate in time, and boy was it a mess. The GA asked "all my preboards to please line up, we will begin boarding shortly," at which point some 30 pax bum-rushed the gate and then started trying to let the one or two pax with disabilities or babies through to actually pre-board. We all got on the plane in some semblance of order, I think, but I can certainly imagine paid F pax standing in the G1 line being pretty peeved, plus I passed a mass of confused pax milling around the gate ("did she say group three board? no that was pre-board. maybe it was at the other gate?", etc).

I mildly appreciate not having to line up to get my F bin space, but boy was it messy.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Folks that pre-board due to disability, small children, etc. should also be the last to deplane. They should wait on the plane until others exit to speed up the deplaning so others can make connections etc.

But almost always pre-boards in this situation also think they should deplane with others.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I had my first "real" (actually elite-heavy) flight with the new boarding procedure where I was at the gate in time, and boy was it a mess. The GA asked "all my preboards to please line up, we will begin boarding shortly," at which point some 30 pax bum-rushed the gate and then started trying to let the one or two pax with disabilities or babies through to actually pre-board. We all got on the plane in some semblance of order, I think, but I can certainly imagine paid F pax standing in the G1 line being pretty peeved, plus I passed a mass of confused pax milling around the gate ("did she say group three board? no that was pre-board. maybe it was at the other gate?", etc).

I mildly appreciate not having to line up to get my F bin space, but boy was it messy.
For whatever it's worth, and probably tainted by selection bias (plus caveats about anecdotes vs data), I've only had preboard chaos at SFO. Maybe it's the Valley FOMO. The one time I had the groups merged ('militarygsdisabilityfamilies1k') was at SFO, which seems ironic, although that was a delayed flight.

I have seen contrary reports for airports other than SFO, but in my experience even EWR is fine. At ORD everyone is positively polite.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
For whatever it's worth, and probably tainted by selection bias (plus caveats about anecdotes vs data), I've only had preboard chaos at SFO. Maybe it's the Valley FOMO. The one time I had the groups merged ('militarygsdisabilityfamilies1k') was at SFO, which seems ironic, although that was a delayed flight.

I have seen contrary reports for airports other than SFO, but in my experience even EWR is fine. At ORD everyone is positively polite.
It certainly didn't help that the GA did a poor job of separating her calls for the preboard groups, or that the end of E pier at SFO has four gates fanning out from roughly the same spot, all of which were running their boarding PA announcements at the same time.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by findark
It certainly didn't help that the GA did a poor job of separating her calls for the preboard groups, or that the end of E pier at SFO has four gates fanning out from roughly the same spot, all of which were running their boarding PA announcements at the same time.
Similar the other day at co-located SFO 92/94 (HKG and PVG departures), where there were "dueling PAs" and neither was specifying which flight was being called.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:32 pm

Except in rare circumstances, there’s never enough preboarders except 1K to jam a gate. Ironically, families with young kids seem to lice the gate the least.

Since 1K is right before Group 1, UA should add a 1K line at all hubs, which would both give an assigned place for 1K to stand and help ensure the GA doesn’t call all 5 preboard groups at once.

Right now some 1K jam the door, some stand aside, and some line up in group 1, which leads to a rush.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I had been having great luck with the new boarding process after a botched boarding in IAD right after the changes went into effect. Unfortunately today it went totally wrong at LGA and I'm not sure why. Sure, it was a smaller plane but that shouldn't matter. The GA announced pre-boards would board first followed by group numbers as expected. Except when boarding started he called for disabled passengers (no one came forward); then he opened up lane 1 and called BG 1. No other preboards and everyone stormed the first lane. He also said to himself after opening lane 1, "Ah, screw it, everyone will board through lane 1 for this flight."

I happened to be standing near the front so I still had room for my bag in the overhead.

-RM
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:21 am

A little late, but:

1/7/19 - ALB-IAD UA 4963
Agent called and paused the order correctly, although it was an ancient and tiny ERJ145, so no FC (no snack/beverage service either, but the PA system was so bad I couldn't tell why). I think there was like 1 pre-boarder, and 2 1K's.

1/7/19 - IAD-IAH UA762
Agent called and paused in the correct order, although I was the third person in the "1" lane, I stepped aside for the 3-4 1Ks to board (two folks in front of me were 1Ks, presumably and one behind me). The other guy behind me asked me what 1K was, and I told him million miles, or so I thought. So he goes ahead to the agent and says he doesn't know what that means, but it must be him. She let him on anyway (I didn't really care as it was a 767 and I had the single seat in the middle so I knew I'd have overhead bin space).

1/7/19 - IAH - SJD UA1438
This was a little more of a cluster. No pausing, so kinda a mass rush (by the time I'd arrived at the gate the line was well past the gate area and hadn't started boarding yet). No overhead bin space in first, so had to get assistance to re-jockey and ended up with my backpack (I was in bulkhead) several rows back.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA GS
overheard boarding DEN TO Tampa, Kansas City and Houston this morning. All GA did the all in one pre boarding call. Unbelievable. Sent email to GS.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:30 pm

So this is how I understood it today at LAX. The signs are ( i think two colors ) one for 1, one for 2. One is for everyone preboarding. Disabilities, with kids, military, GS and 1K. Number 2 is for Boarding group 1. 1 + 2 does no longer represent boarding group 1 and 2. And boarding groups 2-5 are called when everyone else has boarded.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Had a fun one the other day. I’m GS and my wife is also GS as my companion. We were traveling to IAD from our home in SFO to see my wife’s family. Along with us was our four month old and everything that comes with traveling with a four month old: stroller, diaper bag, etc etc. A bucket of fun. As I’m often the solo business traveller we made sure to be as ready and organized as possible so as not to hold up others when we boarded. They called GS and we approached the gate agent. She incredibly rudely barked that she had not called families with children yet. As she’s saying that, a fellow GS plows by us, reaches over my wife to scan his boarding pass, knocked her bag out of her hand in the process. It was one of those moments where I wish I had had a witty response or had stepped up but I was too stunned to. I as I’m picking up my wife’s bag I told the agent that we are, in fact, GS and happened to be traveling with a child. To her credit, she had saw what happened with the other passenger as well as what her own tone must have sounded like and began apologizing profusely, the other gate agent came over and helped us carry our stuff down the jetway - completely unnecessary - but a nice gesture. Never saw the guy that knocked us over to get on the plane, but when we arrived in IAD a GS was waiting for us and drove us to baggage claim. Is there a point to this story? Not really, but it does highlight the absurdity of how seriously people take “being first” and how gate agents can make some human errors but in this instance recovered nicely.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
Not really, but it does highlight the absurdity of how seriously people take “being first” and how gate agents can make some human errors but in this instance recovered nicely.
Also highlights how you shouldn't make assumptions -- i.e. that two parents with a 4yo couldn't be GS, that a young person dressed casually couldn't be in F, that a person who is walking couldn't be disabled, etc., etc. Doesn't take long to look at the boarding pass before saying "I'm sorry, we're just boarding disabled and GS right now, if you stand right here we'll be boarding families next"
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
So this is how I understood it today at LAX. The signs are ( i think two colors ) one for 1, one for 2. One is for everyone preboarding. Disabilities, with kids, military, GS and 1K. Number 2 is for Boarding group 1. 1 + 2 does no longer represent boarding group 1 and 2. And boarding groups 2-5 are called when everyone else has boarded.
No, sign 1 (blue) is for group 1 and sign 2 (green) is for group 2. After both have boarded, then they are repurposed for groups 3, 4, 5 (using green) and bypass (using blue). If you saw something different it was an anomaly, although perhaps not as anomalous as might be hoped.

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
Had a fun one the other day. I’m GS and my wife is also GS as my companion. We were traveling to IAD from our home in SFO to see my wife’s family. Along with us was our four month old and everything that comes with traveling with a four month old: stroller, diaper bag, etc etc. A bucket of fun. As I’m often the solo business traveller we made sure to be as ready and organized as possible so as not to hold up others when we boarded. They called GS and we approached the gate agent. She incredibly rudely barked that she had not called families with children yet. As she’s saying that, a fellow GS plows by us, reaches over my wife to scan his boarding pass, knocked her bag out of her hand in the process. It was one of those moments where I wish I had had a witty response or had stepped up but I was too stunned to. I as I’m picking up my wife’s bag I told the agent that we are, in fact, GS and happened to be traveling with a child. To her credit, she had saw what happened with the other passenger as well as what her own tone must have sounded like and began apologizing profusely, the other gate agent came over and helped us carry our stuff down the jetway - completely unnecessary - but a nice gesture. Never saw the guy that knocked us over to get on the plane, but when we arrived in IAD a GS was waiting for us and drove us to baggage claim. Is there a point to this story? Not really, but it does highlight the absurdity of how seriously people take “being first” and how gate agents can make some human errors but in this instance recovered nicely.
'Fellow' seems too charitable a word for that person! I wonder if the GS car for you at IAD was called from SFO as a service recovery attempt.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
'Fellow' seems too charitable a word for that person! I wonder if the GS car for you at IAD was called from SFO as a service recovery attempt.
Thats my guess. Had never had that happen simply to go to baggage claim. We arrived into the C gates (the one with the tram as opposed to the people movers). Aside from the very long walk, with a stroller it requires 4 elevators so it takes forever. The ride was hugely appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.