Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
In the above scenario where all the "crazy crying kids" board after the "small handful of F passengers" you'd have to endure these kids being their super annoying self as they scuff past you while you are already seated in F.
Having the snots board before you means that -although you have to wait longer to board- you won't have to see them when you board.
Isn't that the better option?
Not when their parents have used the F bin to stow all their carryon bags.

Last edited by halls120; Jan 1, 2019 at 8:45 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by halls120

Not when their parents have used the F bid to stow all their carryon bags.
Something easily rectified by the observant UA FAs....oh, wait!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Bonehead
"Deplane" has been in use since I started flying in the 1970s. Not sure where you guys have been...
I think it's like the word "Alight".

They are just terms that some people do not hear very often. That doesn't make them "nonsense".
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Sorry to throw things back on topic a bit -- +1 on Alight btw..

There was LHR discussion in here earlier but even the most robust search engines couldn't find it to reference. My recent LHR experience:

Several 1Ks including myself were sent to the back of the Group 1 line/corral/holding pen by the gate-side passport checkers and not permitted to preboard. Passport checkers (contract security) weren't having the 1K thing ("you go to group 1, over here"). When GA called for 1K preboarding, nobody boarded as we were all penned in. GA didn't seem to react. Anyone else experience this or similar?

I'm thinking about crafting an email to 1Kvoice. What should that ETC be worth ?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Not experienced that on my 3/4 flights since its inception. There was one glitch but that was down to a late gate change and they did the best they could so I firgive them that. It seems to have gone according to script for me since that. I would definitely bring it up with 1kvoice.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by narvik
In the above scenario where all the "crazy crying kids" board after the "small handful of F passengers" you'd have to endure these kids being their super annoying self as they scuff past you while you are already seated in F.
Having the snots board before you means that -although you have to wait longer to board- you won't have to see them when you board.
Isn't that the better option?

Although....what IF the crazy crying kids ARE sitting in F? Oh, the insurmountability!
I can speak directly to this - I have twin toddlers. I never had any desire to travel with them when they were super little, but we had a family wedding to attend in CA last March, when my kids were 10 months old. We ended up flying AS (technically, a pmVX booking although the outbound ended up on AS metal due to irrops), and they preboard children under 2. Let me tell you, when you’re trying to negotiate 2 infants and a car seat (one went in the seat, one on my lap), it makes total sense to do this BEFORE the bulk of Y pax have boarded, if for no other reason that I didn’t have to worry about blocking the aisle or holding up the process (or accidentally wanging someone in the head or shoulder with the car seat). It also meant the FAs were available to assist if necessary.

(And FWIW, my wife and mother were with me and pre-boarded as well; I think 3 adults to manage 2 children isn’t unreasonable, although if I were only traveling with one kid, that might be a bit much.)

Bringing this back OT, the kids will have their first UA experience in April...going to (you guessed it) MCO.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
When I was active duty, we were specifically told to travel in civvies and not advertise our military status. I’m happy to let today’s service members board early, especially when the ones traveling to combat zones need to stow a bunch of gear, but it’s something I can’t relate to and I wouldn’t argue if they dropped military from preboarding when we eventually wind down active combat.
Anyone having taken a DOD Level 1 anti-terrorism training would know that one of the basic precautions is not to wear uniform and not to put any military logos or signs outside your backpack or carry-on bags when flying commercial air, especially international flights which is mandatory. Both military ID and official passports should be hidden in the bags and not carried in the wallets. I believe this is still a current requirement for both official TDY and personal travel.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As the active thread has gotten rather long, have archived the pre-Nov 2018 posts into this thread, the active thread is still
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 31, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
I like to think of the early boarding for active military as a courtesy and a gesture of appeciation that I’m very willing to live with. It’s the ten year old “small children” being led by their parents to “early boarding” that bugs me. Or the wheelchair passenger’s six family members getting on together. Limit that to “wheelchair-plus-one” and it will alleviate some of the crowding. As a 1K I can board before group 1 - but what’s the point of having a group 1 if 1 doesn’t mean “first”? Call the 1Ks group 1, or - even better - call the GS + military + parents with babies + 1Ks group 1, and go from there. It’s just a mish mash of everything right now.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I prefer aisle seats when in economy & am starting to realize that it really doesn't matter when I board in economy as a 1K because I will never get to settle in until the rest of my row is seated. Sure, I will preboard to make sure my carry on has space, but the window seat usually shows up somewhere in group 1-2 and the middle is usually in group 5 or later.

1st world problems, I know
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I prefer aisle seats when in economy & am starting to realize that it really doesn't matter when I board in economy...
Yes it does. Boarding as late as possible reduces the number of times you get whacked by some oblivious idiot's bag as they go by your aisle seat.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
... the number of times you get whacked by some oblivious idiot's bag as they go by your aisle seat.
This.
The curse of the oblivious back-pack user who without fail turns his/her body 90° to 180° away from me as soon as he/she is next to my aisle seat: 'Whack!', 'Pow!'...."Ouch!"
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just experienced the new 1K "pre-boarding" at NRT. Hard to feel special when penned in with 30+ other 1Ks

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Boarding as late as possible reduces the number of times you get whacked by some oblivious idiot's bag as they go by your aisle seat.
Not to mention the people standing in the aisle who think my headrest is their armrest.

One of the things I really like about Polaris seat is if you're in an odd-numbered window you've got great separation from the aisle traffic.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Inquired over the holidays with PLS GA about where to stand for 1K pre-boarding. She snapped that "there are GS fliers on this plane too". Not sure the relevance, so I simply asked again where those pre-boarding should stand to be out of the way. She told me I'd board with BG1. To be fair, I believe these are all contract employees who are the GA for every airline in that holding pen of an airport. That said, they never called pre-board or BG1, and when I came up to the passport checker the GA pointed at me and said "him", and I was promptly sent over for additional security screening. I guess the good news is that she was the only surly local I met the whole week.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by gold23
Inquired over the holidays with PLS GA about where to stand for 1K pre-boarding. She snapped that "there are GS fliers on this plane too". Not sure the relevance, so I simply asked again where those pre-boarding should stand to be out of the way. She told me I'd board with BG1. To be fair, I believe these are all contract employees who are the GA for every airline in that holding pen of an airport. That said, they never called pre-board or BG1, and when I came up to the passport checker the GA pointed at me and said "him", and I was promptly sent over for additional security screening.
THAT is quite nasty.

Originally Posted by gold23
I guess the good news is that she was the only surly local I met the whole week.
^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.