Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Rediculous. Wrire it in!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
"That's not how *I* do it. "
...then YOU should be fired!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by wxguy
Another FAIL last week at IAD. Agent called disabled pax (it was a FL flight, so there were a few), then military. It turns out that the display directly above the agent's head was showing the correct order, with GS being next. So I walked up to the scanner after the military passenger entered the jetway, and the agent said, "It's not your turn -- passengers with children are next." I pointed to the screen above her head and said, "The display says, and the current policy is, for GS next." She replied, "That's not how *I* do it. Step back please." #sad
I have experienced the same at IAD. It is an IAD issue. Not happy about it but writing in has not done the job yet.

IAD has also been the one that board GS and 1K together on several occasions. It must be the “temporary” terminal atmosphere that is making changes so difficult to implement. It is stuck in the early 80s.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I have experienced the same at IAD. It is an IAD issue. Not happy about it but writing in has not done the job yet.

IAD has also been the one that board GS and 1K together on several occasions. It must be the “temporary” terminal atmosphere that is making changes so difficult to implement. It is stuck in the early 80s.
add to it that at least 30% of the gate agents at IAD barely speak English and can’t be understood on the PA system.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:15 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s); OT
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have been recently (past few months) been boarded 1K with GS. It happened so much I actually assumed it was the correct order but was promptly correct the other day on FT. This was out of smaller airports where no boarding order screen was present (MFR, EGE, EUG). Several comments above mention this as well. I guess they are suppose to announce GS, pause, families with kids.... pause, then 1K but this part of the boarding process seems loose at some locations to say the least.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home

add to it that at least 30% of the gate agents at IAD barely speak English and can’t be understood on the PA system.

As an immigrant I find the hardest people to understand are those born in the US and insist on using nonsense words such as 'deplane'

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:20 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
As an immigrant I find the hardest people to understand are those born in the US and insist on using nonsense words such as 'deplane'
'Deplane' is a proper word, although only/mainly used in North America....at least according to Wordweb.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...nglish/deplane

There are some new words since Shakespeare's day ; )

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:21 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by narvik
'Deplane' is a proper word, although only/mainly used in North America....at least according to Wordweb.
It is used lots but is still a nonsense word. Clear communication and correct language is necessary on commercial aircraft.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by chavala
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...nglish/deplane

There are some new words since Shakespeare's day ; )
agree.

However deplane is a nonsense word. I'm fine with 'googling' and 'moving the needle' but deplane is a confusing word which should not be used on commercial aircraft. Mind you disembark isn't much better but at least that has 200 years of usage in written and verbal communication.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...deplane is a nonsense word.....
"Deplane" has been in use since I started flying in the 1970s. Not sure where you guys have been...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the grand scheme called life, does it really matter if you board first or in the last pre-board group? No it doesn't. It is just this sense of entitlement that has infected the world. Any pre-board will still get their carry on in the overhead and get to their seat and get their pre-departure beverage (if in F). So in the grand scheme, who cares. Arguing with the GA just makes you look like a DYKWIA.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Baze
In the grand scheme called life, does it really matter if you board first or in the last pre-board group? No it doesn't. It is just this sense of entitlement that has infected the world. Any pre-board will still get their carry on in the overhead and get to their seat and get their pre-departure beverage (if in F). So in the grand scheme, who cares. Arguing with the GA just makes you look like a DYKWIA.
It does matter though if you’re sitting in domestic F, especially bulkhead on an airbus. Agree on international, it doesn’t matter as much. If the gauge we’re using is “grand scheme of life” then 90% of the stuff complains about United on FT are meaningless 😉
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Bear in mind that the UA system (AA & DL as well) has nothing to do with efficiency. The roughly same-sized narrow body intra-European flight boards quite easily in 15 minutes.
Bear in mind that Europeans boarding Intra-European flights are by far the pushiest crowd I’ve ever run into while flying. My first couple of times flying European domestic were an eye opener. Of course they board the plane easily in 15 minutes; 90% of them are jamming on during the first 5 minutes in an effort to be first one on the plane regardless of where they are seated or what class.

I agree with prior posters that MCO is unique. I see a number of families in the boarding lines at HNL but nothing like at MCO and I don’t begrudge families with young kids the extra time to board. Traveling with young kids can be extremely hectic and the last thing the parents or airline need is to lose track of a young ‘un during the boarding process.

When I was active duty, we were specifically told to travel in civvies and not advertise our military status. I’m happy to let today’s service members board early, especially when the ones traveling to combat zones need to stow a bunch of gear, but it’s something I can’t relate to and I wouldn’t argue if they dropped military from preboarding when we eventually wind down active combat.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by caseminole
I just think a lifetime elite passenger on a paid F fare should board almost right away, not 10-12 minutes after 30 people have been loaded up.
You're right. That's how the part of *A that doesn't CPU, offers decent lounges to F pax and, as a result, can command premium prices for these segments does boarding. Like all of *A except UA. The other US legacies haven't followed UA's example of demoting F pax in the boarding queue as well, leaving UA isolated.

UA's premium cabin products are currently stuck in a cycle of devaluation, and if GF is any example, then the end of Domestic F may just be a recession away. The reason UA hardly finds organic takers for premium pricing on domestic F is exactly this. UA is doing its very best to make it not worth the upsell. Sadly, those who are now rejoicing about their promoted place in the line will be the victims if that happens. Paid F pax will easily find paid F elsewhere, but CPU's won't be found when the premium cabin is gone.

There's light at the end of the tunnel though. UA made changes so 1K ranks will thin next year and the year after, which will ameliorate the situation for paid F pax. This will accelerate if we do actually slip into a recession next year. I also do believe the current aberrant boarding order will be revised once again and F will regain their internationally recognized place, especially with a new CEO that is coming from an aviation background in a future time that is less profitable than right now. One of the certainties in America is that money always trumps loyalty, eventually.

And it's not about entitlement, it's about OH space and not having to deal with the bag of the guy in 23C somehow fully occupying the bin of 1AB, which, as paid F pax know, has only 50% capacity either due to FA bag or due to equipment. If paid F gets guaranteed OH space, all this becomes a non-issue and I'm sure many will happily board last.

Last edited by mozilla; Dec 31, 2018 at 5:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.