Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
This is an Orlando issue. I travel ORD-MCO multiple times per year for business and of the 75+ segments I do every year, this is the only route where there's more than a couple children under 2. Same goes for flights to RSW, FLL, PBI, TPA, but with wheelchairs. Obviously with those destinations you're going to have more strollers and wheelchairs. Same scenario with more clueless people in airports around holidays. Just the nature of traveling to certain destinations or at certain times of the year.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Critic
It's also important to remember what airport you're departing from - Florida airports in general have a high number of pax requiring pre-board, and MCO in particular is going to be the capital of "Families under 2 requiring extra time". The delay comes with the territory (literally and figuratively.)
Truth!
MCO is the worst airport in the country for high child loads. Boarding the families first makes sense though-they really do clog-up boarding. It's better to get them out of the way and settled before the rest of the plane boards.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
This has nothing to do with general UA boarding policy, but the misuse of "assistance" amongst those who travel to and from Florida.
Not just Florida. Numerous times I have seen 4 or 5 people board with one person who was in a wheelchair, which just makes the jetway line longer when the GA moves onto other groups.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that the UA system (AA & DL as well) has nothing to do with efficiency. The roughly same-sized narrow body intra-European flight boards quite easily in 15 minutes.

Boarding groups other than priority for the disabled and small kids, is not about efficiency, but about trying to make people feel special when they aren't. They get to strut in front of others.

The sole reason to board early if not disabled or a small kid is OH space. It's not as though there is anything lovely about sitting on a standard domestic narrowbody, even in F. That is why in the old days, F boarded last.

Whether you are first or about 3/4 the way down the boarding process, you will still almost certainly have OH space. So, that whole argument is a nothing as well.

There are places where GA's can be quite tough about having the entire extended family accompany one person on a cane. But, MCO is not one of them.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion
My kids are finally (3 and 6) out of the difficult to fly ages, but I think letting families under 2 pre-board helps reduce stress and chaos. The under 2 set also tends to use gate-checked strollers, which I think are better to get done earlier in the boarding to get the flight underway on-time.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Not just Florida. Numerous times I have seen 4 or 5 people board with one person who was in a wheelchair, which just makes the jetway line longer when the GA moves onto other groups.
Florida seems to have an abnormal number of miracle flights. The enfeebled, barely able to make to their seats, after a short flight thru the stratosphere are miraculously able to bound past everyone to be pushing their way off the plane.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
South Florida airports, particularly PBI and FLL, have a number of passengers needing assistance. During holiday period, when family with kids come down to spend time with grandparents, the lines of pre-boarding get a lot longer.

As a long time Florida resident since my teenager year, I am used to the long pre-boarding lines. MCO is no worse than FLL and PBI if you combine the specialty assistance passeners with family with children under 2. I am accepting it because I have been flying out of Florida since early 80s.

I do have issues with gate agents who don’t follow the order. More often than not, GA is boarding special assistance with family with children less than 2 before Military and GS. If there is a policy, then follow that policy consistently. Also, please don’t ask 1K to board with GS and before family with young kids. I firmly believe the GA are partly responsible for the boarding mess because they don’t follow the policy.

I also agree with another poster’s observation that the boarding issues seem to be non-existence in EU, Asia and Australia/NZ. Boarding seem to be quite efficient elsewhere. Many UA flights operated out of foreign airports seem to be doing just fine with boarding process under the same UA boarding policy.

Domestic boarding process seems to be the one that is hard to fix. Passengers and gate agents need to work together.

As per OP’s concern, I am fine with the current boarding order. UA should not change its boarding because what has been observed at one airport in MCO.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
UA decided to make families with infants and their entourage with accessories a pre-board courtesy, the MCO 'happiest place on earth' is going to have more than its fair share of that market. You had to wait 10-12 minutes to sit in a 5-seat empty F? wow. Hope it worked out ok.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Think long and hard about what is UA's #1 priority during boarding. It's not operational efficiency, it's not loyalty recognition, it's not transactional revenue.

When you figure it out, UA's current boarding system makes a lot of sense.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by prestonh
UA decided to make families with infants and their entourage with accessories a pre-board courtesy, the MCO 'happiest place on earth' is going to have more than its fair share of that market. You had to wait 10-12 minutes to sit in a 5-seat empty F? wow. Hope it worked out ok.
I knew a comment like this would come. Its fine. My point was I am an elite level flyer, and paid top dollar for a seat in first class.

What would it hurt to allow the small handful of F passengers to board first, then let all the crazy crying kids go after.

I guess the other part that bothers me is the entitlement that some (not all) of the parents w/kids feel by boarding first.

I've been flying the airline 25K miles+ for 30+ years running, and I'm watching folks maybe flying United for the first time with a screaming 23 month old get priority.

And, yes, I feel that I am entitled, not those folks.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
I knew a comment like this would come. Its fine. My point was I am an elite level flyer, and paid top dollar for a seat in first class.

What would it hurt to allow the small handful of F passengers to board first, then let all the crazy crying kids go after.

I guess the other part that bothers me is the entitlement that some (not all) of the parents w/kids feel by boarding first.

I've been flying the airline 25K miles+ for 30+ years running, and I'm watching folks maybe flying United for the first time with a screaming 23 month old get priority.

Do what I do, after years of flying I simply board last. No entitlement issues just smart. I have posted previously about the many benefits of it. I typically have minimal carrry-on and almost always check luggage (have to for work so why have excess carry on). If you indeed are sitting in first than even carry on isn't an issue. I typically sit E+ aisle or F/Polaris on international travel flights so again really no issue with walking on as they close the door.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

I have traveled with and cared for a live-in quadriplegic. I don't think you completely understand what is meant by entitled under the concept of travel with special needs. I can empathize for those traveling with infants particularly with a child in one hand and their extra gear to store in another. MCO was also my outstation for a 15 years or so. I never minded the courtesy.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:07 pm

I would like everyone to keep in mind here that the pre-boarding for people with disabilities is a legal requirement, whereas children, military, status, and cabin are all UA discretionary policies.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
In the above scenario where all the "crazy crying kids" board after the "small handful of F passengers" you'd have to endure these kids being their super annoying self as they scuff past you while you are already seated in F.
Having the snots board before you means that -although you have to wait longer to board- you won't have to see them when you board.
Isn't that the better option?

Although....what IF the crazy crying kids ARE sitting in F? Oh, the insurmountability!

Last edited by narvik; Dec 28, 2018 at 6:13 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Another FAIL last week at IAD. Agent called disabled pax (it was a FL flight, so there were a few), then military. It turns out that the display directly above the agent's head was showing the correct order, with GS being next. So I walked up to the scanner after the military passenger entered the jetway, and the agent said, "It's not your turn -- passengers with children are next." I pointed to the screen above her head and said, "The display says, and the current policy is, for GS next." She replied, "That's not how *I* do it. Step back please." #sad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.