Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Yes passport checks are very common, even in PWM! The GAs can see which pax have intl itins.

One could argue that the doc check has already occurred at the ticket counter but I guess UA wants to be certain that the pax are admissible since they could be on the hook for sending them back.
In my experience, United has the option for passengers to provide their passport information to United online, and it's attached to your profile/PNR. With that information in the system, they don't do a doc check until your international leg.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by diburning
With that information in the system, they don't do a doc check until your international leg.
They definitely will if a Visa is required.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Oh, I forgot about that.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
In my experience, United has the option for passengers to provide their passport information to United online, and it's attached to your profile/PNR. With that information in the system, they don't do a doc check until your international leg.
My experience has been If a visa is needed for my destination, the doc check is always performed at the initial airport with OLCI not available. For other destinations it has been mixed. Most flights to Europe it's only the passport check at boarding. Trips to MSQ and BEY required doc check at initial airport even though visas weren't required.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
MCO pre-boarding = big mess! Why bother w/status or purchased F ticket?

Decided to treat myself by purchasing F ticket from MCO-LAX on Xmas day.

The flight actually went out with 5 open F seats, so even as a lowly Silver, I could have gotten a free upgrade, but thats not the point of my post.

I have never seen a pre-boarding in such disarray.

I dont mind boarding those with disabilities first, for obvious reasons. There were two wheelchair passengers, and one elderly couple with walkers.

Then there was one military personnel that got to board. OK, its great that they board early, I get it.

next was "Global Services", and as a premier flyer since the 80s (Silver or Gold only , mostly on pre-merger CO), I "kind of" get this one too. No one qualified for this one.

Then the call went to any passengers traveling with small children under 2 and other passengers needed special assistance. There must have been a minimum of 20-25 people that met this criteria.

So, here I am. A lowly Silver Premier in boarding group 1, but with a purchased first class transcon ticket. I finally boarded alone with maybe 10 other F passengers, all of us grumbling about the long wait.

Why not board folks with disabilities first, and then put the military personnel, global services, etc all into boarding group 1.

Let group 1 board first, THEN take care of all the others needed assistance

Call me selfish and entitled, who cares.

I just think a lifetime elite passenger on a paid F fare should board almost right away, not 10-12 minutes after 30 people have been loaded up.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
United considers military, GS, 1K, and children to all be more important than F passengers. (Though moving 1K to BG 0 is a fairly recent change.) It's their business model, and the only real choices are to buy into it or go elsewhere.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:58 am

....just as well you didn't notice all the 1Ks boarding before you too!

Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
This has nothing to do with general UA boarding policy, but the misuse of "assistance" amongst those who travel to and from Florida.

Google "miracle flights" here and you'll see it.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Not defending United, since I think that F passengers should be pre- boarded at the same time as 1K --- but I believe the rationale for letting families with small kids board first is that they need extra time to board, just like disabled folks. Normally out of SFO, this is just one or two families, IME and doesn't take long. I think you're a victim of Orlando and Disney World, where I assume much of the traffic is families with small kids, so there is an unusually long wait in that particular airport.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
It's also important to remember what airport you're departing from - Florida airports in general have a high number of pax requiring pre-board, and MCO in particular is going to be the capital of "Families under 2 requiring extra time". The delay comes with the territory (literally and figuratively.)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by caseminole
Decided to treat myself by purchasing F ticket from MCO-LAX on Xmas day.

The flight actually went out with 5 open F seats, so even as a lowly Silver, I could have gotten a free upgrade, but thats not the point of my post.

I have never seen a pre-boarding in such disarray.

I dont mind boarding those with disabilities first, for obvious reasons. There were two wheelchair passengers, and one elderly couple with walkers.

Then there was one military personnel that got to board. OK, its great that they board early, I get it.

next was "Global Services", and as a premier flyer since the 80s (Silver or Gold only , mostly on pre-merger CO), I "kind of" get this one too. No one qualified for this one.

Then the call went to any passengers traveling with small children under 2 and other passengers needed special assistance. There must have been a minimum of 20-25 people that met this criteria.

So, here I am. A lowly Silver Premier in boarding group 1, but with a purchased first class transcon ticket. I finally boarded alone with maybe 10 other F passengers, all of us grumbling about the long wait.

Why not board folks with disabilities first, and then put the military personnel, global services, etc all into boarding group 1.

Let group 1 board first, THEN take care of all the others needed assistance

Call me selfish and entitled, who cares.

I just think a lifetime elite passenger on a paid F fare should board almost right away, not 10-12 minutes after 30 people have been loaded up.

Thoughts?
United used to board people with disabilities followed by Global Service followed by First Class, then 1K, 1P, 2P then all others. This was called out as there were no boarding lines except for the line with the Red Carpet. This changed after the merger. After the merger it's was people with disabilities, Military members, Global Service, families with children under 2 then boarding group 1 and so on. Then UAL changed the boarding procedure to include 1Ks to board during pre-boarding after families with children under 2 and before boarding group 1.

I believe Global Service should be allowed to board at any time during the boarding process. This group is the highest revenue group of the entire airline, by a long shot. I've been told this one group, within the top 1% of spending, contributes about 50% of the revenue for the airline. I definitely understand people needing additional time to board (disabilities and families with small children). I do think at times the former is taken advantage of when there is one person with a disability and their entire entourage (sometimes 4 or 5 additional people) board. Be that as it may, let the disabled and families with small children board. I definitely understand the Military priority. To all those who are serving and who have served, THANK YOU! As for 1Ks, it's about time. 1Ks contribute another 20% or so revenue so between Global Service and 1Ks that amounts to nearly 70% total revenue (again, from what I have been told by UAL personnel). I understand the first class thing and maybe first should be boarded during pre-boarding. Until that day happens first class is group 1. Before 1Ks were offered pre-boarding I frequently held a first class ticket (albeit a buy up to first) and just took my place in group 1. I am also a lifetime Platinum member working towards lifetime 1K. Keep in mind that there may be others in first class that have purchased first class fare and have a higher priority than you do. At the end of the day the flight will not leave without you as long as you are at the gate ready to board.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
I've been told this one group, within the top 1% of spending, contributes about 50% of the revenue for the airline.
Global Service and 1Ks that amounts to nearly 70% total revenue (again, from what I have been told by UAL personnel).
That is pretty much impossible, mathematically.
It would mean GS and 1K generate 26 billion USD in 2017, with GS contributing 19 billion all by themselves.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Not defending United, since I think that F passengers should be pre- boarded at the same time as 1K --- but I believe the rationale for letting families with small kids board first is that they need extra time to board, just like disabled folks. Normally out of SFO, this is just one or two families, IME and doesn't take long. I think you're a victim of Orlando and Disney World, where I assume much of the traffic is families with small kids, so there is an unusually long wait in that particular airport.
Yes, MCO would definitely be filled with families with children under 2. Thank goodness I'm based in DEN and rarely, if ever, go to MCO.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:15 pm

Yes, MCO would definitely be filled with families with children under 2. Thank goodness I'm based in DEN and rarely, if ever, go to MCO.
I'm dating myself severely here, but there was a time when I was flying frequent transcons. Everybody boarded quickly and efficiently. You could almost hear a pin drop the entire six hours, even in coach. Look around and folks were reading, a few using a laptop or dozing off. Then I had a flight between BOS and MCO, on Eastern. You may recall they were the "official airline for DisneyWorld" and marketed that heavily. Toy balls rolling up and down the aisle, kids screaming, babies crying for 3 hours. The difference was amazing.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
That is pretty much impossible, mathematically.
It would mean GS and 1K generate 26 billion USD in 2017, with GS contributing 19 billion all by themselves.

As I said, this was conveyed to my by several CSRs at various locations. Unfortunately I don't have a way to confirm this. Maybe what was meant was 50% of ticket revenue. UAL also generates a significant amount of revenue with freight contracts as well. I would also suspect there's revenue generated with credit card alliances, hotel alliances, car rental alliances as well.

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
I'm dating myself severely here, but there was a time when I was flying frequent transcons. Everybody boarded quickly and efficiently. You could almost hear a pin drop the entire six hours, even in coach. Look around and folks were reading, a few using a laptop or dozing off. Then I had a flight between BOS and MCO, on Eastern. You may recall they were the "official airline for DisneyWorld" and marketed that heavily. Toy balls rolling up and down the aisle, kids screaming, babies crying for 3 hours. The difference was amazing.
I suppose we have to keep in mind that MCO has always been and will always be primarily a family destination. Happiest place in the world, right? The flying I did with Continental was primarily from 1990 though 1993 and the culture was different back then. It seemed quieter and was conducive to the business traveler. Or maybe I was too focused on the frequent beautiful FA and wondered how a single bum like me could date one. I never flew Eastern so I cannot comment on that experience. I switched to United in 1994 (DEN based) and from that time until the merger United was marketed and conducted as a business airline. The clientele was significantly weighted to the business traveler which meant laptops galore and pretty quiet. Of course some locations always were family oriented. Again, MCO is such a destination. In 2007 I took my family (with an 11 and almost 9 year old) to MCO to spend a week at the happiest place on Earth. Yes, those flights were heavily weighted as a family centrist flight. I don't recall balls rolling down the aisle or screaming kids but yes, baby cries could be heard. Thank goodness for earphones and an iPod.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2018 at 2:21 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.