Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gaobest
On rdu-sfo, my family had 3 of 8 seats in F but because we lack status, we boarded with BG1 and the bins were mostly full - more because the A319 just lacks overhead space.
That was not uncommon with the 319 before these latest changes (and was commonly cited as an example of F overheads filling before BG1 boarding). It's an especial problem if there are any crew bags up front.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Gate 45 at SAN this morning (flight to DEN). I was observing from the next gate over:

The preboard order in the wiki was observed. The GA did very well, and didn't call the next "group" until the line in front of the podium was gone.

Then he called group 1, and then after that, groups 2 and 3 at the same time which caused a mad dash for the podium from all the people sitting down.

As for my flight out of gate 44 to ORD, the GA called preboards up to GS, but did not call 1K. The Group 1 line was incredibly short so I don't think anyone was upset at the lack of 1K call (it was also entirely possible that there were no 1Ks on this flight. I snagged the last F seat on a last minute paid ticket, and none of the 14 people on the upgrade list cleared. There were maybe about half a dozen people in front of me in the Group 1 line so I'm assuming everyone else on the upgrade list is either GS or Silvers. Economy is completely full with a high school sports team taking up at least half the cabin)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
What should a 1K (or GS) do when they arrive after preboarding due to a delay? Do you get in the get in line at the back of the #1 line with Group 1,2? Do you cut infront of everyone?

In one case, I noticed a separate line next to the #1 line so I lined up behind them thinking it was the "late pre-boarding" line but they were standby passengers. In another case, I the line was short so I just got in line. In another case with a very long line, I made my BP "subtly visible" and the GA waived me over.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
LHR this morning. Perfect boarding with separate queues for GS, 1KS, group 1, group 2. Other preboard were in a separate area past the automated boarding pass scanners. I think LHR has the benefit of more space to spread people out plus very professional staff
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:00 pm

In the last week, new boarding process was followed perfectly at MSY, IAD, & ZRH.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
What should a 1K (or GS) do when they arrive after preboarding due to a delay? Do you get in the get in line at the back of the #1 line with Group 1,2? Do you cut infront of everyone?

In one case, I noticed a separate line next to the #1 line so I lined up behind them thinking it was the "late pre-boarding" line but they were standby passengers. In another case, I the line was short so I just got in line. In another case with a very long line, I made my BP "subtly visible" and the GA waived me over.
IMO, there's no such thing as "Late" pre-boarding -- once general boarding has started you can no longer board before general boarding

If after pre-board and before group 2, join the end of the group 1 lane. After group 1 has boarded, if there are two lanes and no one is in one of the lanes I'll head to that lane. If there's not a actual lane, I'll join the end of the line. E.g. at ORD yesterday, I got wrapped up in work and left the UC at the boarding start time... by the time I got to E10 they were already boarding 1-4 and the gate only had one lane, so I just tagged on to the end of the line.

As much as I like to get onboard ASAP, at the end of the day the plane is still getting to its destination at the same time whether I'm #1 or #593 onboard and prefer to go the discreet route rather than elbow my way to the front.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
EWR LAS on Sunday left out of C120. With construction nearby and walls around the gate on all 4 sides there was very little room. They used the recorded boarding process and, at least through BG1, it actually went smoothly.
LAS EWR yesterday had an excellent GA do it right with just the right pauses in the right spots. The 1K pre-board line was longer than BG1. I was in F on the 739 and had room for my carry-on, but a couple of pax boarded late and had to scramble to fit theirs in.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
LHR this morning. Perfect boarding with separate queues for GS, 1KS, group 1, group 2. Other preboard were in a separate area past the automated boarding pass scanners. I think LHR has the benefit of more space to spread people out plus very professional staff
Terminal 2 gates are spacious, and yes, the LHR staff are excellent.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Speed boarding at LAX 75B this evening:
I'd like to preboard our PassengersWithDisabiltiesMilitaryGlobalServicesFam iliesWithChildrenAnd1Ks.
I don't know what the rush was -- we sat for an additional 30 minutes after scheduled departure time waiting for the inbound from HNL to give us 17 connecting pax!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
IMO, there's no such thing as "Late" pre-boarding -- once general boarding has started you can no longer board before general boarding

If after pre-board and before group 2, join the end of the group 1 lane. After group 1 has boarded, if there are two lanes and no one is in one of the lanes I'll head to that lane. If there's not a actual lane, I'll join the end of the line. E.g. at ORD yesterday, I got wrapped up in work and left the UC at the boarding start time... by the time I got to E10 they were already boarding 1-4 and the gate only had one lane, so I just tagged on to the end of the line.

As much as I like to get onboard ASAP, at the end of the day the plane is still getting to its destination at the same time whether I'm #1 or #593 onboard and prefer to go the discreet route rather than elbow my way to the front.
I was excited to try out my new 1k status last week in MSP, and this happened to me. Late getting to the gate, and it was at BG2 when I arrived. I could've scooted around the line and probably passed 10-15 people, but it just wasn't worth it. Three minutes of wait wasn't worth the dirty looks and misunderstanding from my fellow passengers.
t
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

I will submit that if you are number 593 on board, the plane will not be getting to its destination at all, as UA has no aircraft that may carry 593 passengers.

On topic: generally this seems to be working out OK. The only major issues that I have observed coming up are (a) agents forgetting / not knowing the new script and (b) group 1 actually not forming a line at some outstations and instead just milling about, so that when some of the preboarders try to board everyone is confused about who is doing what.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by wxguy
Speed boarding at LAX 75B this evening:

I don't know what the rush was -- we sat for an additional 30 minutes after scheduled departure time waiting for the inbound from HNL to give us 17 connecting pax!
Had speed boarding last week at LAX as well. Ended up boarding behind about 5 1Ks who elbowed their way to the front.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Last couple flights I was on, the GA said, "...now boarding 1k 100,000 mile flyers."

Maybe some people hear "1K" and think they're calling Group 1?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
IAD- MSY Wednesday, they forgot to call 1K. I got in with Group 1, and was in F, so no problem. Return today, they did it right. I was only in PE so glad to get overhead space and to send some work emails before takeoff.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Last couple flights I was on, the GA said, "...now boarding 1k 100,000 mile flyers."

Maybe some people hear "1K" and think they're calling Group 1?
They better say "1k, >$15,000 fliers" next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.