Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
“ If you prefer to spend your time away from the gate, you can now opt in to receive a United app notification that lets you know boarding has started”

Right. I got that notification 5 minutes after I took my seat today.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Great news. Now I can feel comfortable letting my status drop to Gold (1MM) next year. Less difference between Plat and Gold.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla
Paid non-status non-upgrader F is now Group 7, which is a further devaluation of the United First® product, enticing less people to book using domestic F fares, which will result in only INTL and upgraders willing to pay for domestic F, which will increase its "upgrader-cabin" reputation, which will result in further devaluation.
What?!

First of all, I'm in the "I'd rather board last" camp, and I'm not even a United Club member. But, second -- what "upgrader-cabin" reputation? UA is selling more first class tickets than ever before, as evidenced by the complaints about long upgrade lists and low clearance rates for upgrades. I find it really hard to believe that people will stop buying F instead of Y because they'll be slightly later to board the plane. And, while I understand there are some people on this thread who are talking about booking away, I don't think it's going to have a huge effect myself. Most people will take schedule and convenience over how early they get to board; they may just grumble a bit boarding.

UA should add fare differentiation to the equation. Let those who travel on a domestic -F- fare or those on INTL F fares (on domestic or INTL segments) pre-board.
Isn't it complicated enough already?

Enjoying the exclusivity of the Polaris Lounge on your arrival followed by boarding with the second half of the plane in Group 7 on your domestic connection is quite the surreal slap in the face.
Reason 999,999 why they should prefer to board last, rather than first.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
It is official - just got email announcing that 1K pre-boards before group 1.

Beginning September 18, we’re unveiling boarding enhancements — designed to improve your overall experience when boarding — at every airport across our system. We’ve been focused on a better boarding experience and want to let you know about a few key enhancements you’ll notice.

No need to line up before your group is called: As a United MileagePlus® Premier® 1K® member, you’re now part of the pre-boarding group and will board even earlier – before Group 1.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
What?!

First of all, I'm in the "I'd rather board last" camp, and I'm not even a United Club member. But, second -- what "upgrader-cabin" reputation? UA is selling more first class tickets than ever before, as evidenced by the complaints about long upgrade lists and low clearance rates for upgrades.
Upgrade as defined by sell-up offers rather than CPU, i.e. anyone sitting in F but not flying on a "THIS FARE APPLIES FOR FIRST CLASS SERVICE" domestic -F- fare or an INTL J/F fare.

Most people will take schedule and convenience over how early they get to board; they may just grumble a bit boarding.
You may be right. I guess it will depend on how it plays out in the field.

Isn't it complicated enough already?
No, and I don't believe it is that complex. UA wouldn't be the first *A airline to give additional perks to pax who buy genuine F fares. It may be a good way to keep the premium cabin from being devalued. Fare-based differential has already been a thing with UA since the introduction of PQD.

Reason 999,999 why they should prefer to board last, rather than first.
Sure, if you can guarantee that there is overhead bin space available for them, then you have a valid point.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey | UA Plat | UA 2M Miler | Marriott Plat | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cova
It is official - just got email announcing that 1K pre-boards before group 1.
Would you mind posting the body of the email? I haven't received anything and have flown this week with no gate agents willing to confirm this is a change.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Heck, over half of the plane may be group 1 out of IAD, ORD, SFO, etc. That's not a premium experience worth paying for.
This is going to be comical to watch at the hubs, especially with FC/Polaris non-status passengers who may be wondering why half of the plane is pre-boarding and their still waiting in line. Add the Plat's/Golds/*G's who will line up early in Group 1 and that may be 75% of the plane right there. Indeed not a premium experience.

They should have moved FC up to Pre-Boards as well, behind GS/1K's but before family boarding.

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
Why? There's rarely ever a problem getting bin space on F/C.
True when they board 2L, but I've been on flights where they board 1L, and see E pax toss their stuff in the F bins.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Learn about some new enhancements.

To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add
[email protected] to your address book.

MileagePlus # XXXXXXXX
Wxguy, better boarding is here.

Introducing: Better boarding

Beginning September 18, we’re unveiling boarding enhancements — designed to improve your overall experience when boarding — at every airport across our system. We’ve been focused on a better boarding experience and want to let you know about a few key enhancements you’ll notice.

No need to line up before your group is called: Simplified lanes – now only two – with new signs will allow you to sit back and relax at the gate or spend more time within the airport.

Less crowding: Since we’re saying so long to five lanes and simplifying to two, there’s more space and easier access to the boarding door for customers exiting the plane from the previous flight and during pre-boarding.

Improved digital displays and boarding communication: Monitors around the gate will display clear and relevant information about boarding and your flight. If you prefer to spend your time away from the gate, you can now opt in to receive a United app notification that lets you know boarding has started.*

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus® member, and we look forward to seeing you on board soon.

Learn more ›

Last edited by wxguy; Sep 17, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade as defined by sell-up offers rather than CPU, i.e. anyone sitting in F but not flying on a "THIS FARE APPLIES FOR FIRST CLASS SERVICE" domestic -F- fare or an INTL J/F fare.
I am not at all eager to get UA started on trying to differentiate between "real" F fares and "instant upgrade" F fares again. There is zero practical difference between -F- fares and /UPDI fares; let's please not introduce one.

Further, you're going to have people complaining because their TOD to "First Class" didn't give them access to this particular "First Class" perk.

Personally, as someone who prefers to spend less money rather than more, I am quite happy that UA doesn't try to discriminate against various groups of J/F passengers (e.g., removing Polaris access for upgraded passengers).

It may be a good way to keep the premium cabin from being devalued.
The domestic F cabin has rarely been worth the price to me. I'm happy to accept upgrades, but that's because I value the experience at far less than what they want to charge for it. I'd consider paying for F on a lie-flat route or a red-eye. I can't fathom doing it for any other flight.

Sure, if you can guarantee that there is overhead bin space available for them, then you have a valid point.
Indeed, that's the rub, and I contend that UA continues to shuffle between boarding strategies simply because they don't have enough overhead space for everyone. But I've never actually had to check my carry-on, despite being the last person on the plane on multiple occasions. FAs are usually pretty good about finding space for F passengers. Sometimes I might have to go back a few rows after landing to get it, but I can deal with that.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
It's like this:

I don't think alienating paid FC customers is what they are striving to accomplish...but it's what they are doing....
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
But hay, they went back to the sUA boarding appraoch, which is good, the 5 zone SouthWest Cattle car boarding was a sad joke. Or I guess I could say that they just copied Delta, which has two lanes, which work just fine, with a lot less gate chaos than the current (now old...) UA approach.
Well, Delta is in the process of copying UA by going to 5 boarding lanes. It’s all just a sad, comical circle.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Works for me, even though I may drop back to Plat next year. Though hopefully they will relegate families behind G1 where they belong (and similar to the placement on WN). And now that I am Lifetime 1MM, it would be great to see Gold move up to G1 and thus ahead of the credit card customers. Of course at SFO you have filled 3/4 of plane by the time you get to G3.

Originally Posted by 1P
It's unpopular to say it, but once again, the folk who take longest to board and hold everyone else up while they're doing it — people with disabiities and those with small children — should board last, when they can take all the time they need without blocking the jetbridge and aisle(s) of the plane.
Concur but only if they reserve overhead. Families usually have lots of carryon (diaper bags etc) and shouldn't be penalized into G5. Personally I would prefer to see F board last as is common in other countries, but that would require FAs to zealously guard overhead bins for F, which I don't see happening. But it is annoying that I have to waste time lining up and then waiting 30m for the rest of the plane to board, just so I can ensure I get overhead space. Adds up over time.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I don't think alienating paid FC customers is what they are striving to accomplish...but it's what they are doing....
I dare say that you are dramatically overestimating the effect this is going to have on most peoples' travels.

On hub-to-hub routes, this is likely to irritate some people, although, practically speaking, being behind 50 people in line (at the end of Old Group 1) and 70 people in line (at the end of New Group 1) isn't really that different. But, people fly UA hub-to-hub for a reason -- either they're locked into UA because they also fly other routes, or they prefer the schedule flexibility they get when flying hub-to-hub. On non-hub-to-hub routes, there just aren't that many 1Ks.

I suppose they might lose some passengers to AA for ORD flights -- but, realistically, people who are flying SFO-IAD, DEN-EWR, LAX-IAH, etc. are going to fly UA the vast majority of the time.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Am I hallucinating? Is this the old pre-merger UA boarding policy which was discarded so forcefully that they auctioned off all the red carpets? Why the turnaround?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.