Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by drewguy
l'middle
Spending too much time in France? 😂😆🤣

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What comes around, goes around pmUA 2005 NYT article on changes to UA boarding procedure (i.e., "wilma") pmUA 2006 New Boarding Method: Wilma pmUA 2007 Whatever happened to WILMA? pmUA used WILMA until the merger (2012?) or just before
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
What comes around, goes around

pmUA 2005 NYT article on changes to UA boarding procedure (i.e., "wilma")

pmUA 2006 New Boarding Method: Wilma

pmUA 2007 Whatever happened to WILMA?

pmUA used WILMA until the merger (2012?) or just before
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
benewr likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
,,,, The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

There wasn't a problem with pmUA use of WILMA, there were a lot of changes made due to the merger including in the boarding process. Not all felt those changes were improvements.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure how much this change really matters. I suppose it may help with confusion with BE ticket holders.

For me, the only time it is important to board early (in the first two groups or preboarding) is if you have a carryon bag that needs to go in the bins and you are sitting in the first few rows of the plane.
In F or if you are in the first few rows of E, you are in danger of running out of space because inexperienced passengers are constantly threatened at the gate on every flight that there isn't enough room for bags so they will stick their bags in the first place they see once boarding only to find empty space once they get to the back of the plane. To make things worse, they may try to go against the flow to retrieve their bags.
In F, there are only so many seats and the bins are often shorter so they fill up relatively quick and sometimes have to use space in the first few rows of E
Good proactive FA's will help with these issues, but normally they do nothing but threaten pax that if they don't stow everything and get seated quickly, the flight will be delayed and it will be their fault.

I think generally, elites will be in the first rows of E (or F) so the boarding system generally works.
Ofcourse, standbys often get put in middle seats in the first few rows of E, but at that point, they are probably going to be forced to check their bags anyways.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
pmUA used WILMA until the merger (2012?) or just before
WILMA was in use deep into the 2010s past the merger unless I am going crazy. I had a huge uptick in my flying around 2015 and it was definitely WILMA then.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprised how the main stream press is screaming about this ....
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
They skipped announcing Military pre-boards on my IAH-DFW flight yesterday. The guy ahead of me mentioned it to the GA, and she just shrugged.

Last edited by chavala; Oct 19, 2023 at 11:42 am Reason: s
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chavala
They skipped announcing Miletary pre-board...
UA's moved to PQPtary...
SPN Lifer and diburning like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chavala
mentioned it to the GA, and she just shrugged.
we finally found the one, true consistency at United Airlines

the “I-don’t-give-a-damn” shrug. From the CEO down to the ramp agents, it embodies the entire corporate culture.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
New seating process?

Surprised that this hasn’t been discussed recently

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/19/12072...m_campaign=npr

I have a hard time believing this is going to make that much of a difference in the chaos and timing.

I can actually see it making things worse, but maybe that’s why I don’t run an airline
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2023 at 10:58 am Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Oct 22, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Some more than others
I tend to agree that this won't do much of anything.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2023 at 11:00 am Reason: Cleanup after move; thanks for the link
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What is old is new again.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Repooc17
There are no special boarding priority for PE pax.
On the contrary, Premium Plus boards in group 2 if marketed as such. On flights where PremiumPlus is part of E+ standard boarding applies.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Which Chase United credit cards qualify? "How low can you go?" Explorer? Gateway?

If on the same PNR, board with the earliest member. If on separate PNRs, give the biggest bag to the earliest.
Pretty much any card that has an annual fee, so Explorer or above.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Just unbelievable how much news coverage this got.
And not a single "journalist" questioned such headlines as: "United Airlines will board passengers by window, middle, then aisle seats"
When in reality it should read: "United Airlines will board the last 25% of passengers by window, middle, then aisle seats - no change for the first 75%"
Old Oct 22, 2023, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Just unbelievable how much news coverage this got.
And not a single "journalist" questioned such headlines as: "United Airlines will board passengers by window, middle, then aisle seats"
When in reality it should read: "United Airlines will board the last 25% of passengers by window, middle, then aisle seats - no change for the first 75%"
Appears UA did appear to mention this
The airline will continue to board first and business class customers – as well as elite loyalty programme members, active duty military and those requiring additional assistance – in the normal manner.

But those passengers in boarding group 4 and below will now be subject to the new policy.
or
The change will begin with passengers in the fourth boarding group. Customers in first class and business class will see no change in their routine, and there’s also no change for those with priority-boarding privileges, including travelers with disabilities, unaccompanied minors, active-duty military, and families with children who are 2 or under.
just the first two reports I checked but many chose not to mention / highlight it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2023 at 1:16 pm Reason: just the first two reports I checked
Old Oct 22, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Simple Flying (surprise, surprise)

One interesting comment, towards the end, is that the computer program used by United could only handle five boarding groups. It seems strange, but maybe it explains why 1ks have Group 1 on boarding passes.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.