Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Wow! I don't go through CLE much, but I find 17 1Ks there surprising. Is that common? Typically from what I've seen, it looks like even at hubs the GS & 1K preboarding on narrowbodies tops out at around 20. So I'm thinking that is a relatively high number for CLE.

I have seen GAs do it that way a couple times, when there are large numbers of status preboards, and I agree it is a good way to handle the situation.
I don't go asking because it's competitively sensitive information and I don't want to put someone in an awkward position, but anecdotally CLE is pretty elite heavy (it's also pretty senior for agents with most having 25+ years of service). 17 may be a little high but it's pretty common to see 30 names on the UG list and at least a dozen or so 1K/GS preboards -- though this is REALLY day of week and time of day dependent -- on a Tuesday afternoon fight there may be only 3 people including me who go for the 1K preboard. On a Sunday that number seems to go way up, I've never heard a number before but I wouldn't be surprised if I've been on a 17+ 1K flight to/from CLE before. I saw a 175 with 50 on the UG list for CLE out of IAD a couple years ago

(I do know that a number of CLE GSes were culled because I've personally overheard at least 7-8 or so lamenting their newfound lack of status.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by fumje
Wow! I don't go through CLE much, but I find 17 1Ks there surprising. Is that common? Typically from what I've seen, it looks like even at hubs the GS & 1K preboarding on narrowbodies tops out at around 20. So I'm thinking that is a relatively high number for CLE.

I have seen GAs do it that way a couple times, when there are large numbers of status preboards, and I agree it is a good way to handle the situation.
CLE is the de-hublet and therefore probably has an outsized number of UA elites. Still, 17 for a narrowbody seems like a lt.
SPN Lifer, lincolnjkc and halls120 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I don't go asking because it's competitively sensitive information and I don't want to put someone in an awkward position, but anecdotally CLE is pretty elite heavy (it's also pretty senior for agents with most having 25+ years of service). 17 may be a little high but it's pretty common to see 30 names on the UG list and at least a dozen or so 1K/GS preboards -- though this is REALLY day of week and time of day dependent -- on a Tuesday afternoon fight there may be only 3 people including me who go for the 1K preboard. On a Sunday that number seems to go way up, I've never heard a number before but I wouldn't be surprised if I've been on a 17+ 1K flight to/from CLE before. I saw a 175 with 50 on the UG list for CLE out of IAD a couple years ago

(I do know that a number of CLE GSes were culled because I've personally overheard at least 7-8 or so lamenting their newfound lack of status.)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
CLE is the de-hublet and therefore probably has an outsized number of UA elites. Still, 17 for a narrowbody seems like a lt.
Yah I wondered if it is a legacy of the former-hub / hublet nature. I am used to, if there are >15 status preboarders, for upgrade list to be >55 long. So from those numbers CLE is seeming very elite heavy!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Not if they have to get to IAD to continue travel starting the week. And don't want to go/avoiding going to EWR for the connection.

David
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I am out of SFO and do the flight to EWR every month. I thought I was special with GS status, but sometimes there are 15+ GS people at pre-board, and I've taken screenshots of the upgrade list 120+ long.

Several times, even using points, I won't make it into the top 8 of the upgrade list.
SPN Lifer and dutchpacific like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SkiBikeBeer
I'm against adding MM to preboard. You get guaranteed annual *A Gold access, guaranteed access to E+ at time of booking, luggage allowance, CPU qualification (albeit hard to clear). I don't think 1MM is worth nothing. I would happily trade lifetime *A Gold access and guaranteed UA E+ at booking over a drink and snack or preboarding.
you left out *A gold lounge access when traveling internationally.

The last thing UA needs is another pre boarding group. As it stands now it’s ridiculous
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by halls120
you left out *A gold lounge access when traveling internationally.

The last thing UA needs is another pre boarding group. As it stands now it’s ridiculous
Seriously.....

Let's let EVERYONE board before the people who spend thousands of dollars for F/J...

How about a special group for folks that have UA tattoos?

I'm an AA EP but have been working in some UA flights recently when it makes sense. Gotta say UA's boarding process is a real head scratcher for me.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:43 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
If anyone should pre-board it is United Club Members. THat way you could actually use the Club right up until time of boarding. Otherwise you end up at the end of BG1- not awful, but not great depending on the flight. And also, if there are delays, it's nice to be able to go back to the Club to chill or work on alternatives. I'd rather see UC members get pre-boarh than 1Ks. And I am both.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: UA Amex
I think an even better idea would be for United to let me be the first person to board every flight I book.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jburns513
i think an even better idea would be for united to let me be the first person to board every flight i book.
😂😆🤣
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Just do what I do: put on a military uniform, hop in your stroller and hand your wife a pair of crutches while she struggles to push you around. You get on so early they practically let you fly the plane.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think it's time to eliminate the G1 and G2 lanes and follow the DL/AS/AA model with two lines, one for priority and one for general, and place the signs and straps near the actual boarding location. Having observed a few Delta boarding procedures lately, it seems to work better, at least in my experience, with few people piling up into different lanes, but rather standing away from the desk until they are called up.

Here is how I would reduce the people-clutter at the gate and speed up boarding by moving the fastest passengers on board first plus those who need some extra time or assistance.

1. Pre-board - wheelchairs and disabled, families with strollers/car seats - no stroller or car seat? Tough, you board with your group number
2. Global Services and First Class/Polaris through the "Premier Access" line (Premier Access Priority 1 on their boarding pass)
3. 1K, Platinum, Gold, Star Gold, through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 2 on their boarding pass)
4. Premium Plus seated customers where applicable through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 3 on their boarding pass)
5. Silver, Credit Cards with Priority Access, Paid UC members through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 4 on their boarding pass)
6. General Boarding G1 - behind the wing - instructed to board along the general boarding line
7. General Boarding G2 - in front of the wing - instructed to board along the general boarding line
8. General Boarding G3 - Basic Economy - instructed to board along the general boarding line

Late arriving Premier Access customers can use the Premier Access line to cut in front of those in general boarding

Systems need to be reprogrammed to deny boarding to anyone outside the boarding number currently being called - customers without status will automatically receive the boarding priority of the highest ranking passengers on the same PNR
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. Pre-board - wheelchairs and disabled, families with strollers/car seats - no stroller or car seat? Tough, you board with your group number
2. Global Services and First Class/Polaris through the "Premier Access" line (Premier Access Priority 1 on their boarding pass)
3. 1K, Platinum, Gold, Star Gold, through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 2 on their boarding pass)
This breaks Star Alliance policy. One of the published perks of Star Alliance Gold is that you get to board at the same time as First/Business class passengers. (Of course, another of the published perks is lounge access, but...)
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I pre-board for the overhead space. I was in 1F last week and the first 1K to board and there was no overhead space until row 3. I think if UA did a better job of ensuring the overhead space was used by the people in those rows - think LH, there would be less angst for pre-boarding.

If not in row 1 I am in row 7 and the number of pax boarding early who put their carryon above rows 7-9 and them continue walking further back to whereever their seats are astounds me. It is not my role to police this and apparently it is no one's role.

This is why frequent travelers want to pre-board so their carry on goes above them on the plane and they can keep an eye on their belongings. The few times i do not have a carryon I am one of the last to board.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Mar 10, 2023 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I pre-board for the overhead space. I was in 1F last week and the first 1K to board and there was no overhead space until row 3. I think if UA did a better job of ensuring the overhead space was used by the people in those rows - think LH, there would be less angst for pre-boarding.

If not in row 1 I am in row 7 and the number of pax boarding early who put their carryon above rows 7-9 and them continue walking further back to whereever their seats are astounds me. It is not my role to police this and apparently it is no one's role.

This is why frequent travelers want to pre-board so their carry on goes above them on the plane and they can keep an eye on their belongings. The few times i do not have a carryon I am one of the last to board.

Was on UA1646 DEN-PHX last night and one of the FA's was ruthless about people using the F overhead storage. She shamed several people making them come back upstream to retrieve their bags and bring them back to coach. Hope it's a trend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.