Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
UA doesn't need to make any changes to the boarding process - or it would probably be a change we don't like.

If you are a 1K or higher - you certainly know by now what you are getting into attempting to pre-board whether or not you are active on FT or not. I give credit enough to my fellow flyers to take appropriate action and figure out where to stand for pre-boarding - it isn't rocket science.

I'm also one of the last to board people (unless I get to the gate and it is a short delay - then I'll wait and pre-board) - but perhaps a thinning of the heard which may or may not happen in the next year will stop the 1K hoarding. Simply way too many 1K's at this time to have a elegant pre-board experience.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
We CO elites had a blue carpet
I have been around long enough to remember UA's "Red Carpet" line as well.... I liked it because it was very noticeable and really respected by other paxs. If you weren't elite you didn't use it. It was always great to board through the red carpet lane if you were a bit late and had to board during the middle of the boarding process. No one even questioned you if you jumped line from the red carpet. With the current situation late BG1 line jumping can get a bit sticky, although still relatively rarely I must admit.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
....it was very noticeable and really respected by other paxs...t.
A properly applied large pink cattle prod would also be noticeable and (eventually) respected
bocastephen and nomad420 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’ve never seen this sign before. Seems to imply 1K boards with Polaris. Is preboarding going away?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nexus7556
I’ve never seen this sign before. Seems to imply 1K boards with Polaris. Is preboarding going away?
Not sure I would construe procedure at a 2 flight daily international outstation as indicative of a major systemwide policy change.

That sign looks like it was intended for the check-in area.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just boarded. It was awkward. They had 1K and Group 1 line up together then they went person by person and asked if you’re 1K. Less chaotic than the scrum to the boarding pass reader, but strange because it’s not done like this anywhere else.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by nexus7556
Just boarded. It was awkward. They had 1K and Group 1 line up together then they went person by person and asked if you’re 1K. Less chaotic than the scrum to the boarding pass reader, but strange because it’s not done like this anywhere else.
For intl flights where they actually check boarding pass & passport... This works well because the GA actually combs through group1/2 (or preboarding/1k/GS) while checking BP/passport, and pulls people out who are in bg3-5.

But this require enough personnel and desire to do these checks.... Which doesn't happen often for domestic flights
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
FRA-DEN GA called the groups in the correct order but had everybody line up at the swing door gate thing that had a red X. After she had everyone lined up for pre-boarding, she turned the arrow to green and told people to start boarding by scanning their BP. Bit of a mess really
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
DEN-CLT Today. GA asked the 1Ks to line up to the left side of the BG1 lane with the other BG1 pax to the right. She announced that there were 6 GS and 23 1K and she didn’t want boarding to “be a big mess”. 737-800 10am flight.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:02 pm

Lyin’ 1Ks …

I’m not this guy - BY ANY STRETCH.

HOWEVER … yesterday flying home from Caribbean, locals don’t know how United boarding works and the boarding lanes are half a person wide. Of course, half the plane is in Lane 1. Then they ask everyone to move out of line so special situations and GS can board, followed by 1K. Clear as day. Of course, not a soul moves.

So I’m with my wife and brood of kids, stressed from delays and trying to find where to go for GS boarding and I’m told a line of about 40 people are “all GS.” I said no way. She walks up to people and asks if they’re “Global Services” … one woman actually is, says yes, and then the agent asks about 10 more people and they all say yes they are. So she tells me the whole line is therefore GS and go to the back. 50 people back.

Of course everyone is holding their tickets branded with “Premier 1K.” So I told them they’re lying and they finally let us board ahead. One 1K guy is REALLY miffed I called him out.

Mind you, I’m not trying to screw or “big time” anyone. I just want to get my kids on this plane and organized so it’s not miserable for everyone else the whole flight, and PS, I have earned the boarding preference!!!

Moral of this story is - don’t lie about being GS folks. We get GS for a good reason, and sometimes that good reason comes with certain perks. Don’t stare at a guy with a ton of kids, sweating, and lie so you can board ahead of me just because you feel like being a jerk and a poser.
Boraxo and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Don't assume malice where ignorance is an easier explanation. For non-FlyerTalkers, I would say 99% of them have never heard of GS. They assume 1K is the top tier because that's what United advertises.
1P, kevino, SPN Lifer and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Don't assume malice where ignorance is an easier explanation. For non-FlyerTalkers, I would say 99% of them have never heard of GS. They assume 1K is the top tier because that's what United advertises.
Oh this one guy knew.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Maybe EWR 1Ks think they're special.

David
zombietooth and United747 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerNJ
I’m not this guy - BY ANY STRETCH.

HOWEVER … yesterday flying home from Caribbean, locals don’t know how United boarding works and the boarding lanes are half a person wide. Of course, half the plane is in Lane 1. Then they ask everyone to move out of line so special situations and GS can board, followed by 1K. Clear as day. Of course, not a soul moves.

So I’m with my wife and brood of kids, stressed from delays and trying to find where to go for GS boarding and I’m told a line of about 40 people are “all GS.” I said no way. She walks up to people and asks if they’re “Global Services” … one woman actually is, says yes, and then the agent asks about 10 more people and they all say yes they are. So she tells me the whole line is therefore GS and go to the back. 50 people back.

Of course everyone is holding their tickets branded with “Premier 1K.” So I told them they’re lying and they finally let us board ahead. One 1K guy is REALLY miffed I called him out.

Mind you, I’m not trying to screw or “big time” anyone. I just want to get my kids on this plane and organized so it’s not miserable for everyone else the whole flight, and PS, I have earned the boarding preference!!!

Moral of this story is - don’t lie about being GS folks. We get GS for a good reason, and sometimes that good reason comes with certain perks. Don’t stare at a guy with a ton of kids, sweating, and lie so you can board ahead of me just because you feel like being a jerk and a poser.
The NRT GAs have this under control. They walk up and down the line, checking everyone's ticket in the queue and sweetly 86 anyone that's not supposed to be there.

To lend credence to what mahasamatman said above, I was recently boarding a flight in SNA, and a very sweet, and obviously wealthy, older woman with a paid F ticket joined the 1K queue and asked me what 1K was, thinking that it might be code for first class. I told her and explained that first class boarding is with group 1, pointing to the sign. She looked confused and looked over at the huge line behind the group 1 standard and let out a deflated sigh. I told her not to worry, to just board with me, and I'd tell them she was my traveling companion.
kevino, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Boarding on Wednesday for UA 2490 (787-10) at EWR C108 was tragic.

Wheelchairs boarded first followed by all the families with any sort of kids pushing like crazy.
Then the incompetent GA called « Active Military, GS and all other preboarding groups ».
Of course it turned into a total mess.

Worst part is when she barked at my GS / Business class companion for after scanning the BP for having a roller bag, a backpack and a computer in a protection : « YOU CAN’T HAVE 3 CARRY ON, MOVE AWAY AND CHECK YOUR BAG »

« This is your guide to United Global Services, the very best that United has to offer. We are more focused than ever on providing you with exceptional service. Be sure to look for the United Global Services emblem representing our unwavering commitment to provide you with our best service possible. »

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.