FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1930950-uas-boarding-process-wilma-now-inconsistent-process-preboarding-issues.html)

jhtraveller Feb 2, 2022 8:01 pm

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

I flew two segments yesterday, February 1st, and noticed the same same changes on both, CUN-IAH and IAH-MCO.

1. In both CUN and IAH, all pre-boards were instructed to board at the same time, in any order they chose. This included GS, 1K, Military, etc.
2. Pre-departure beverages on both, with any choice. Not just water and sparkling wine.

Twice cannot be a coincidence. Any official news on this!

WineCountryUA Feb 2, 2022 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jhtraveller (Post 33959141)
2. Pre-departure beverages on both, with any choice. Not just water and sparkling wine. ....

This has been happening for some the past few months, with more variety recently -- as there is an on going discussion, let's continue in that thread PDB back! On my flight at least.

Kacee Feb 3, 2022 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jhtraveller (Post 33959141)
1. In both CUN and IAH, all pre-boards were instructed to board at the same time, in any order they chose. This included GS, 1K, Military, etc.

I expect that was based on a very low number of GS and 1K. You couldn't do that on many SFO flights, you'd have 30 people rushing to preboard all at once.

coke cans and winglets Feb 15, 2022 1:38 pm

Ok just curious, is 1K boarding that complicated? I just got off UA1715 MCO-ORD and when we were boarding, the gate agent called up 1K’s to board and then said we are only boarding Premier 1K members that is if you earned MileagePlus Premier 1K status you are welcome to board, this DOES NOT include Group 1. I thought she was very clear and me being in Group 1 wasn’t confused at all (I also know the whole 1K preboard situation regardless). But here comes one guy who tries to come up and the gate agent looked at his boarding pass and was like no you’re Group 1 you need to wait. Then another dude anxiously came up and was like Premier 1K? Gate agent was like yes, she looks at his BP and is like no you’re Group 3. I’m just like can y’all not listen or is this a classic case of people checking all of their common sense to their final destination when they get to the airport or both. Gaaaaaaaah

PS: Kudos to the gate agent for properly enforcing the boarding process, I love when they do that.

bocastephen Feb 15, 2022 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets (Post 33994634)
…… I’m just like can y’all not listen or is this a classic case of people checking all of their common sense to their final destination when they get to the airport or both. Gaaaaaaaah.

Bingo. People either don’t listen, or don’t care and think they can push in front of everyone else

halls120 Feb 15, 2022 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 33994783)
Bingo. People either don’t listen, or don’t care and think they can push in front of everyone else

It’s a combination of both of the above, with a boarding process so over complicated many UA gate agents have given up trying to enforce it.

Silver Fox Feb 16, 2022 3:22 am

It's been said time and time again, rename group 1 to group 2 and +1 all the subsequent ones. It's been happening far too long and that might be an easy fix.

halls120 Feb 16, 2022 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 33996165)
It's been said time and time again, rename group 1 to group 2 and +1 all the subsequent ones. It's been happening far too long and that might be an easy fix.

It would be, if UA hadn't decided to monetize the boarding experience. If group 1 goes away/is replaced by all of the people who currently board ahead of Group 1, UA probably won't make as much $$ selling the "premier" boarding experience.

lincolnjkc Feb 16, 2022 6:32 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 33996249)
It would be, if UA hadn't decided to monetize the boarding experience. If group 1 goes away/is replaced by all of the people who currently board ahead of Group 1, UA probably won't make as much $$ selling the "premier" boarding experience.

I don't know... AA lumps everyone except CK holders into numbered groups and doesn't seem to have problems (though I fly AA very infrequently so that sample size may lead to erroneous conclusions). Maybe change the preboards into lettered groups so that group 1 stays group 1 (Now boarding group X...Y...Z...1...2...3...4...5...)

roxiethehorse Feb 19, 2022 10:44 am

Boarding Groups for Mixed Cabin Flights

We have my parents booked on United Airlines for their 50th (now 52nd due to Covid) anniversary trip. They are 72. They have never flown United, so they have no status. We are are all meeting up in Phoenix for a trip to the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. I was able to upgrade one leg each way to first class, the other 2 legs are economy plus. I contacted United to find out what boarding group they can expect on the 2 non-first class legs. I got 2 different answers. One rep said group 8 on the non-first class legs. The other rep said the boarding group is decided by the highest class of service on the day of flight, so group 1 on all legs.

Anyone know which is correct? Upgrading the 2 legs from Econ plus to first is over $2100 which is more than I can afford. I could buy Premium Access for the 2 non-first legs, but if they already get group 1 it’s a waste of money. $180

Here is their intinerary:

BDL-ORD First Class
ORD-PHX Econ Plus

PHX-ORD Econ Plus
ORD-BDL First

Mom broke her back 5 years ago and moves kind of slow, can they request pre-boarding on the 2 Econ Plus legs?

This trip is in April.

Thanks for your input!

fumje Feb 19, 2022 10:55 am

Quite puzzled by the "group 8" response. The highest group number is 5. :confused: Maybe this rep transferred from AA recently.

From memory I believe second rep is correct.

But in any case, your mother seems like a perfect candidate for disabilities / extra time-needs preboarding. No need to request, just go when GA calls for them (right after military).

wcj1 Feb 19, 2022 11:45 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34006194)
But in any case, your mother seems like a perfect candidate for disabilities / extra time-needs preboarding. No need to request, just go when GA calls for them (right after military).

This, but pre-board on all segments. Why wait for first class if you genuinely need extra time?

trm2 Feb 19, 2022 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34006194)
Quite puzzled by the "group 8" response. The highest group number is 5. :confused: Maybe this rep transferred from AA recently.

From memory I believe second rep is correct.

it is
those needing extra time
military
GS
Families with under 2

for preboarding.

that is why so many people give different answers.😀

Come to think of it, “group 8” could be right. 5 preboards and then group 3 for E+?

Either way, they should preboard with those needing extra time.

fumje Feb 19, 2022 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by trm2 (Post 34006441)
it is
those needing extra time
military
GS
Families with under 2

for preboarding.

that is why so many people give different answers.😀

Come to think of it, “group 8” could be right. 5 preboards and then group 3 for E+?

Either way, they should preboard with those needing extra time.

Thanks, yes, misstated, properly it is just before military. If you ask different GAs you may get different answers too, though. Best to just be ready to go whenever preboard is called.

I also thought about maybe the rep is counting all preboards as individual groups, as some here do. :p But that is definitely confusing to the inexperienced traveler.

PTahCha Feb 19, 2022 4:55 pm

Based on my past experience, your parents will get 2 different boarding groups - group 1 for flights in first class, and group 3 or 4 depending on whether they are sitting in a window or middle/aisle seat. At the same time, your parents are certainly eligible to board during pre-boarding during the call of customers with disability.