Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jaysonb22
My biggest problem is I can never hear/understand the announcement and unless it's on a screen I'm usually stuck asking fellow passengers if they've called 1K (or I'm getting asked that question).
I find more often that people who aren't paying attention ask if Group 1 can board when the 1K pre-boards have been announced.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I find more often that people who aren't paying attention ask if Group 1 can board when the 1K pre-boards have been announced.
That or I've seen folks in Group 1 with a paid 1st ticket confused why they can't board first too.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That or I've seen folks in Group 1 with a paid 1st ticket confused why they can't board first too.
especially if they have experienced flying paid first on other airlines.
JetAway and artvandalay like this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yesterday I was connecting ORD, and was at a gate where you can literally sit within inches watching people board, so I did that. I never board early despite able to; usually compete with others to see who can board last.

Anyway, when 1K was called, several people (assume 1K) on the BG1 line pushed others aside on the same BG1 line. Likely these people don't know you can stand on the side with all of the other preboarders, despite your BP says BG1. Anyway, that along with people unable to follow instructions made the boarding pass chaotic and long, as usual.

Watching people with a smile while they are frustrated standing on line after long delays is priceless Sometimes I would be eating while they wait on line, that usually get some reaction or a line from the waiting crowd.
SPN Lifer and LaserSailor like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:12 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Be careful doing that. Some people get very protective and even angry if you try to rearrange bags in the overhead bin (OHB) or, even worse, "force" your bag in.
Thats why my personal United Universe Services Attendant slaps in them in the face while s/he stows my bag.

Ooops, Im not supposed to disclose the existence of the Universe Services tier program. As you might imagine, its a step above Global.
abaheti likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yesterday I was connecting ORD, and was at a gate where you can literally sit within inches watching people board, so I did that. I never board early despite able to; usually compete with others to see who can board last.

Anyway, when 1K was called, several people (assume 1K) on the BG1 line pushed others aside on the same BG1 line. Likely these people don't know you can stand on the side with all of the other preboarders, despite your BP says BG1. Anyway, that along with people unable to follow instructions made the boarding pass chaotic and long, as usual.

Watching people with a smile while they are frustrated standing on line after long delays is priceless Sometimes I would be eating while they wait on line, that usually get some reaction or a line from the waiting crowd.
There are those whose BP goes up at this, and those who enjoy the spectator sport. Well done.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I'm not accusing you, but in response to the half joking post of renting a medical boot, it is so often difficult to tell who has a "real" disability vs those with a fake one.

I have a somewhat rare muscle disease ( about 50,000 cases in the US, not per year, but total). At a glance, I look like a normal 76 year old man, but I can't lift and put a small carryon in the luggage bin; my wife has become the heavy lifter in our family. I would be holding up the boarding if I didn't pre-board.

I don't need a wheelchair unless it is a large airport like LHR or FRA, or ORD depending what terminal I came in on and then which one I'm going to.

I know that I look like someone trying to scam their way onto the plane early, but without talking to my neurologist, you would never know. As a backup solution, I now usually fly Polaris or First on domestic flights.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Larrude
I'm not accusing you, but in response to the half joking post of renting a medical boot, it is so often difficult to tell who has a "real" disability vs those with a fake one.

I have a somewhat rare muscle disease ( about 50,000 cases in the US, not per year, but total). At a glance, I look like a normal 76 year old man, but I can't lift and put a small carryon in the luggage bin; my wife has become the heavy lifter in our family. I would be holding up the boarding if I didn't pre-board.

I don't need a wheelchair unless it is a large airport like LHR or FRA, or ORD depending what terminal I came in on and then which one I'm going to.

I know that I look like someone trying to scam their way onto the plane early, but without talking to my neurologist, you would never know. As a backup solution, I now usually fly Polaris or First on domestic flights.
If I were you, I wouldn’t worry about it. I certainly wouldn’t worry about what total strangers may think!
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I like how Southwest handles preboards -- pre-boarders get a different boarding pass, and folks that need extra time can also get a different boarding pass. That means they've spoken with an airline rep so likely reduces the people taking advantage. (I think they may also allow those without a special boarding pass to go after group A? Not sure.)
hurnik likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
yeah, I guess I can construct the logic for it but even if they want to let 1K/GS board before F, they've really got to thin out group 1. Flying paid biz from south america my wife ended up pulled aside at the gate for SSSS and I boarded the end of group one waiting for her. Between the size of group 1 and the gate agent starting group 2 through a second lane before group 1 was cleared through, I think I had to be in the second half of pax to board.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by abaheti
I like how Southwest handles preboards -- pre-boarders get a different boarding pass, and folks that need extra time can also get a different boarding pass. That means they've spoken with an airline rep so likely reduces the people taking advantage. (I think they may also allow those without a special boarding pass to go after group A? Not sure.)
Delta digital boarding passes, which most customers use now vs the paper boarding passes, have a huge color bar so it's clear to the customer, and the agent, if they have priority or not. Either they have it, or they don't. No color bar, then back to sit down you go until your group is called. Arriving late, with the color bar? Take a leisurely stroll up the Sky Priority line and cut ahead of everyone else.

It's simple and painless.
halls120, hurnik and abaheti like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen

So, definitely NOT something that will be implemented at United then.
bocastephen and VRFast like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Looks like Delta is changing a bit but still looks more clear
https://onemileatatime.com/news/delta-boarding-process/
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by abaheti
Looks like Delta is changing a bit but still looks more clear
https://onemileatatime.com/news/delta-boarding-process/
New

2019 change
Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Delta digital boarding passes, which most customers use now vs the paper boarding passes, have a huge color bar so it's clear to the customer, and the agent, if they have priority or not. Either they have it, or they don't. No color bar, then back to sit down you go until your group is called. Arriving late, with the color bar? Take a leisurely stroll up the Sky Priority line and cut ahead of everyone else.

you can paint those in software for your convenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.